Which GPS Would Be Best? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Smile Which GPS Would Be Best?

It is time to replace my old street pilot 2820 with XM Radio.

I don't ride regularly but when I do it is for extended trips - long distance touring.

I ride a 07 RT and have the GPS on a shelf above the dash.

Any advise anyone wishes to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Re: Which GPS Would Be Best?

Very Happy with Zumo 665.

Excellent Bluetooth and XM antenna is included!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 4:16 pm

The new TomTom Rider looks impressive and is aggressively priced against the Garmins. Have not seen it in the US stores yet but MSRP is supposed to be $299. I have an old TomTom for the car and it's routing has always been spot on, which I can;t say for my current Garmin.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300

post #4 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Very Happy with Zumo 665.

Excellent Bluetooth and XM antenna is included!

Atomicman,

I have been looking for users who have the 66x GArmin and use BT to headset and are happy with it.

Garmin has acknowledged that they do have a BT problem . But do not have a known fix for it.

With the latest Firmware from Garmin the Stereo is DEAD on the Garmin to Scala Rider / SRC units.

The previus firmware worked for an hour to 3 hours and then the BT connection went bad and you had to power down the GPS for several hours before it would work again.

Can you tell me what your experience is?

I know it is not me or my particular setup because I have tried multiple 66x and SCALA / SRC combinations and none have worked right.

can you let me know if you ride for 4 hours listening to MP3 or XM do you get cutting out or perfect BT connectivity for the whole day?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Huuuuum. The last one I sent back to them the BT stopped working around 50-55mph to my Sena SMH10.

That return, unlike the two prior to it was a protracted battle--course they wanted to blame Sena, I didn't understand how to operate the unit, impossible to get three defective refurbished units in a row, and on and on for a few months.

I was hoping to find good reviews about the 350LM waterproof unit but pressed this new replacement 665LM into service recently. I see they dropped the 350LM price finally.

This brand new unit, like the three prior defect ones also fails to find MP3 files once in a while when I turn it on. I had resigned myself to that fate since they haven't been able to figure out how to fix that problem since the unit first came out.

Taking the battery cover off to charge the battery wares thin after a while same with battery cover off to attach to the computer.

Might be easier to just get a second battery and let the unit run until I shut my bike down for the day?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
Atomicman,

I have been looking for users who have the 66x GArmin and use BT to headset and are happy with it.

Garmin has acknowledged that they do have a BT problem . But do not have a known fix for it.

With the latest Firmware from Garmin the Stereo is DEAD on the Garmin to Scala Rider / SRC units.

The previus firmware worked for an hour to 3 hours and then the BT connection went bad and you had to power down the GPS for several hours before it would work again.

Can you tell me what your experience is?

I know it is not me or my particular setup because I have tried multiple 66x and SCALA / SRC combinations and none have worked right.

can you let me know if you ride for 4 hours listening to MP3 or XM do you get cutting out or perfect BT connectivity for the whole day?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
I use a J&M premium BT headset and my Stereo Bluetooth has worked amazingly well. No problems, great sound, Mp3's and XM. I get perfect BT all day!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #7 of 12 Old May 6th, 2013, 10:57 pm

I have the 665 and enjoy it. I did download and install a firmware update perhaps 4 - 6 weeks ago and have experienced no problems. I know that some have complained about BT problems but so far my Scala G4 and Samsung phone have both worked fine with the Zumo. (hope I'm not tempting fate). Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. My only complaint is that the screen is not easily read in bright light or the reflections from my hi viz jacket.
post #8 of 12 Old May 7th, 2013, 3:33 am

Garage

There have been issues with the 660 and playing / finding MP3's. However with the not the last upgrade but the one before it - that mp3 / sd card issue seems to be solved.

I had problems with the Scala Rider G4 connection, but with the Sena SMH10 it has never let me down - even on an extended journey (total time 12 hours, but road time was in the region of 8-9 hours.)

If they could sort out the Bluetooth connection with the phone - I would be really happy with the 660 / Nav IV

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #9 of 12 Old May 7th, 2013, 5:58 am

Here is one review of the TomTom. I just wish they came out with a 5-inch screen.

http://www.slashgear.com/tomtom-ride...-air-14269424/

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 12 Old May 7th, 2013, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Here is one review of the TomTom. I just wish they came out with a 5-inch screen.

http://www.slashgear.com/tomtom-ride...-air-14269424/
Interesting, does anyone know if you can you transfer routes created with mapsource to the tomtom unit? I have spent the last 6 years learning that program (I know, but I'm a slow learner) and the thought of learning yet another mapping program scares me.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #11 of 12 Old May 8th, 2013, 4:01 am

The replacement 665, which is new, not refurb works fine with my Sena head set. All of my other BT device also worked fine with my headset, only the audio from the 665 ceased.
Bob.

Every time I see there assertion that it was designed by bikers for bikers I wonder why none of the designers included a program to pick a route with the most FUN?!!

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 12 Old May 8th, 2013, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks - Got One

I decided to go with the Garmin 665LM.

The biggest reason was my familiarity with the brand. I have an old 476c on my dirt bike, and I had the 2820 Street Pilot for 7 years. The unit has been well received from what I can see on this and other m/c forums.

Thanks again for the responses. I really appreciate it.

<center>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in