Garmin BaseCamp Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 9:12 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sickticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dublin, Pa, USA
Posts: 120
Garmin BaseCamp Question

I put together a route on in the Garmin BaseCamp and the route is shown as a purple line. I would like to made second route in the BC but the line starts out as purple again and I would like to change colors to cut down the confusion.
Is there a way to change the colors for different routes in BaseCamp?

Thanks
sickticket is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 9:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
12R12RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 416
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Yes, there is a way.

If you double click on the route, a sheet will come up that shows the details of the route. In the upper right hand corner will be a drop-down box that shows the current color of the route. You can pull down on that box and change the color.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basecamp Route Color.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	38301  

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
12R12RT is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2013, 9:56 pm
Miles of Smiles
 
Hilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Touring Europe
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Yes that's quite easy.

Make your first route. Hit the escape key. That deselects that route.

Make your next route.

Confirm that route you want to change colour selected.
In the edit pull down press info.
In that window select Info.
At the bottom you will see route colour

(As above : You can also double click using the select tool)

Oh, should add I'm on a Mac.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
Hilton is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 9:56 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sickticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dublin, Pa, USA
Posts: 120
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Thank you both for responding but neither worked. When I double click on the route or go to the edit-info way, I get the same box showing the route and in the top right there is the drop down for activity but there is no box to the right of that for choosing colors.

I am on a MacBook Pro and the BC download was done last week so everything should be current.

What is my possible next step???
sickticket is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:19 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
12R12RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 416
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

I was afraid you might be on a Mac.

The Mac versions and the PC versions are a bit different; I've no experience with the Mac version.

Try posting your question at www.zumoforums.com in the "BaseCamp for MAC" section.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
12R12RT is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sickticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dublin, Pa, USA
Posts: 120
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Ok, thanks. I just signed up to be a member of Zumo. See what they say tomorrow.
sickticket is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 5:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
12R12RT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 416
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

There are smart people there. If there's a way, they'll show you.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
12R12RT is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 6:48 pm
Miles of Smiles
 
Hilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Touring Europe
Posts: 1,038
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

I'm also using a MBP.

When I double click on a route the window that opens has activity in the top right, in my case motorcycling.

On the top left 4 icons

Via Points.
Directions.
Info.
Print.

Select Info and at the bottom of the page is a box to select colour.
In my case default is magenta.
Think your close, just another click away.
HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
Hilton is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 24th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,527
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Hi All,
After installing Basecamp, I have a question. With Mapsource when I transferred a route to my 2610, Mapsource gave me the option of transferring the route, waypoints, etc. I would just select the route as I did not want to transfer the waypoints. The only reason that I use waypoints is to get the mapping software to stay on the road that I wanted. Now with Basecamp, it will transfer everything, the route and waypoints. Is there a way to either not show the waypoints (on the gps (nuvi 2595)) when on a route or just transfer the route?
Thanks!!!!!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 4:39 am
Senior Member
 
Sleuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerpen, Belgium
Posts: 451
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Hi All,
After installing Basecamp, I have a question. With Mapsource when I transferred a route to my 2610, Mapsource gave me the option of transferring the route, waypoints, etc. I would just select the route as I did not want to transfer the waypoints. The only reason that I use waypoints is to get the mapping software to stay on the road that I wanted. Now with Basecamp, it will transfer everything, the route and waypoints. Is there a way to either not show the waypoints (on the gps (nuvi 2595)) when on a route or just transfer the route?
Thanks!!!!!
As far as I know, Mapsource would transfer any waypoints necessary for the route you have transferred.

However there are different terms for certain way-points (these have been covered by the Zumoforums - which I would recommend you checking out!) These terms include;
Waypoint - An actual point you want to stop at, or be alerted
Shaping point - A point by which you change your route to one you want to go.

The actual waypoint is identified, and transferred by both programs, and is announced by the device. (I have a BMW Navigator IV which is a Garmin 660, so please note my comments might not be the same as your device!) To make proper shaping points you have to place them on a junction. This is easier in MapSource (it identifies the junction) while in BaseCamp it is a bit hit or miss!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
Sleuth is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 6:46 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,527
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
As far as I know, Mapsource would transfer any waypoints necessary for the route you have transferred.
Thanks for the info Sleuth. I am attaching a screenshot of the MapSourse program when I select Transfer to Device. I always unclick the waypoints and just transfer the routes. One good thing, MS does recognize the latest Garmin maps that I downloaded to my pc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MS_Capture.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	38915  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2013, 2:08 am
Senior Member
 
Sleuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerpen, Belgium
Posts: 451
Garage
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Thanks for the info Sleuth. I am attaching a screenshot of the MapSourse program when I select Transfer to Device. I always unclick the waypoints and just transfer the routes. One good thing, MS does recognize the latest Garmin maps that I downloaded to my pc.
If I remember correctly that option is for the entire waypoint list, irrespective of use. If you just have start / end points, and an internal routing without any waypoints / shaping points, the first recalculation performed by the GPS, will destroy the nice route you have created. It then defaults back to the fastest or shortest route whichever you have selected.

The easiest way to check if it is a waypoint or shaping point is to see if the point is listed as Park Road & Western Road (a junction) then it is a shaping point.

However there are more experienced Garmin users here, (I managed to be able to plan a route in MapSource & BaseCamp,) so if I am wrong - please feel free correct me!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
Sleuth is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2013, 9:12 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 616
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
If I remember correctly that option is for the entire waypoint list, irrespective of use. If you just have start / end points, and an internal routing without any waypoints / shaping points, the first recalculation performed by the GPS, will destroy the nice route you have created. It then defaults back to the fastest or shortest route whichever you have selected.

The easiest way to check if it is a waypoint or shaping point is to see if the point is listed as Park Road & Western Road (a junction) then it is a shaping point.

However there are more experienced Garmin users here, (I managed to be able to plan a route in MapSource & BaseCamp,) so if I am wrong - please feel free correct me!
If you transfer the route, and do not transfer the waypoints, the route will include the waypoints used to define your route (vias) but they won't show up as "favorites" on the device. This may or may not be what you want, depending on how you defined the route.

If you define your route using a bunch of waypoints, then I guess this way is as good as any of not getting a bunch of favorites on your device. An alternative way to create routes is to use waypoints only for origin and destination, and perhaps a planned stop along the way, then use shaping points to direct the route where you want it to go. Those are typically placed into the route using the "insert" tool (BaseCamp) or by selecting the route then rubber-banding to move the route through a point along a road or an intersection.

If you use MS or BC to build your route, the vias will be honored (whether or not you send waypoints) by the Zumo. (This is often not the case with 3rd party route building software.)

However, your should always build your routes in such a way so as to withstand recalculation by the Zumo. That means to place a sufficient number of vias in appropriate places to unambiguously define the route you want. If you set your software (BC or MS) routing preferences and avoidances to match your device's, you will get much more predictable results. For example, if you had BC set to "fastest" then downloaded to your Zumo which was set to "shortest", you are asking for trouble. The avoidances on the Zumo will not match exactly those in the software, and they will vary from Zumo model to model, but you can set them in a way that will not "clash".

It is possible to download a route to the Zumo without having it recalculate the route immediately, but depending on that is asking for trouble out on the road if you need the Zumo to recalculate for some reason (like you missed a turn, want to cut off a portion of your route to save time, want to divert to something of interest, etc.). My philosophy is to find potential problems with recalculation while sitting at my desk, rather than on the side of the road astride my bike.
JimE is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2013, 9:32 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,527
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
If you transfer the route, and do not transfer the waypoints, the route will include the waypoints used to define your route (vias) but they won't show up as "favorites" on the device. This may or may not be what you want, depending on how you defined the route.

If you define your route using a bunch of waypoints, then I guess this way is as good as any of not getting a bunch of favorites on your device. An alternative way to create routes is to use waypoints only for origin and destination, and perhaps a planned stop along the way, then use shaping points to direct the route where you want it to go. Those are typically placed into the route using the "insert" tool (BaseCamp) or by selecting the route then rubber-banding to move the route through a point along a road or an intersection.
Thanks for the information Jim. When I get more time, I will explore what BC has to offer. I guess the first step would be to watch any and all videos for BC.
I need to get more familiar with the shaping points and how they function. I could be wrong as it has been a while, but when I import a route with waypoints, it would notify me for every waypoint I was coming to, so the more waypoints, the more notifications. This is what I want to avoid by just importing the route data without waypoints.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2013, 10:10 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 616
Re: Garmin BaseCamp Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Thanks for the information Jim. When I get more time, I will explore what BC has to offer. I guess the first step would be to watch any and all videos for BC.
I need to get more familiar with the shaping points and how they function. I could be wrong as it has been a while, but when I import a route with waypoints, it would notify me for every waypoint I was coming to, so the more waypoints, the more notifications. This is what I want to avoid by just importing the route data without waypoints.
You're right...but the via points, if created from waypoints, will get announced whether or not you transfer them over as explicit waypoints (favorites).

To prevent the vias from being announced, theoretically if you create them as shaping points (e.g. using the insert tool in BC) they will get marked as "don't announce". However, the honoring of the don't announce attribute varies from model to model of Zumo, with a liberal factoring in of chance, phase of the moon, relative humidity...you get the idea. Again, theoretically, if the shaping points are on an intersection or on an address, the Zumo will honor the don't announce. The long-time MS guys would use its snapping feature to put all their vias on intersection on turns in their routes, so the Zumo would be announcing the turn anyway and they wouldn't get an extra announcement for the via. BC gives you an attribute on the vias where you can explicitly mark them as "don't announce", but it is not reliably honored by the Zumos.

I have worn out my USB connector trying to characterize the don't announce behavior on my Nav IV, and have come to the conclusion that for my purposes it's pretty much random. I try to use as few shaping points as necessary when building my routes, then try not to worry about the extra announcements and flags. Some of my shaping points will get announced, and some will not.
JimE is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Round two with Garmin customer service, Zumo 665 BecketMa GPS 4 Oct 12th, 2012 4:05 pm
Garmin 550 next to BMW Zumo Oldmanwheeler GPS 23 Jan 1st, 2012 10:05 pm
Garmin iQue question varoom GPS 2 May 9th, 2006 9:24 am
Garmin GPS questions JOHNF GPS 4 May 9th, 2006 1:58 am
Garmin and Goldwings McAllister GPS 4 Oct 6th, 2005 11:19 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome