Stick with 376c or upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:16 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Stick with 376c or upgrade

So I bought my Garmin 376c back in 2007 - coming up on 6 years of trusty service. Many
Pros and a few Cons with this unit.

I now ride two bikes need one for the car and one for when I travel. The older 376c just does
not complete me or travel well. So I am considering the Garmin Zumo series to do all 4
things and being in the shopping mode I am in the information gathering mode . . .

Anyone have experience with any of these Garmin Units - have a pro or con:

Big Pro's
Lifetime maps
Supposedly bright screen like the 376c (Sunlight Readable)
Keyboards
Waterproof
Lane Assist
Navigation Tools

I am trending towards the newer 350LM only drawback is the battery is internal and the form
factor is a little odd. Can't see needing the XM on the top end unit.

The one item that bothers me in the comparison chart is that it states that the 350LM has the
nüMaps Guarantee and the other units do not. What in the world is the nüMaps
Guarantee???? I emailed Garmin to explain it to me no response - anyone want to clear my
head up!!

Good news for me is that the 376c unit is selling for more on eBay than I paid for it - most
likely because of the Chartplotter abilities . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2013, 8:18 am

Re: Stick with 376c or upgrade

NuMaps is a one-time upgrade of your maps after purchase so that you start out with the most up to date maps. This is not really an issue with the models you are looking at as it looks like they all have the "LM" designation which means you are entitled to lifetime map updates.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2013, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Dan,
I just came accross an announcement from TomTom, they have or are shortly releasing a new motorcycle GPS. They are using the same old name "Rider" for it. Looks like it will come out later this month or early next. The price looked like $650.

It does NOT show up on there Web site yet.. Here is the link to their announcement. Another link with spec's here

Just noticed that one is in German...opps. This Web site says avaliable for pre-order for $299. here

Another update; User manual and other info from FCC testing here

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Mar 20th, 2013 at 9:40 am.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2013, 8:39 am

I've had a ZUMO 665 for about three years and overall like it. I did look at the 660 as well and decided to spend the extra for the xm radio. I don't use the radio all the time but it is nice to have. I like the easy integration of tunes, gps, mp3, phone to my bluetooth headset. I don't know if newer models have a different xm antenna but switching the antenna from the bike to the car and back is a pain. The only small problem is seeing the screen in direct sunlight. Not a "show stopper" but a little inconvenient sometimes.
post #5 of 7 Old May 9th, 2013, 10:42 am

Don't Get Rid of Your 376

Just FYI - hold on to your 376 - still a big demand form them in the dual sport world.

The x76/78 line of gps's that Garmin made are some of the best they ever made IMHO. I have yet to see a screen that is as bright and clear as those.

Due to the large screen size and the brightness I have one on my dirt bike. It is not as convenient to use (no qwerty) but you sure can't beat that screen.

For the street, I use to have the street pilot 2820 and am now going to the 665LM for my RT.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #6 of 7 Old May 9th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Started with the 276C, then bought a 376C, then a 478 as a back up.
Use two for my Iron Butt rides.
Waterproof, bigger screen,
but the discriminator from any of the new ones (660, 665, Nav4):

Street level detail out to 1.2 miles versus 0.3 miles with any of the others.
post #7 of 7 Old May 9th, 2013, 4:25 pm

I went to a 478 when my 376 went nuts. The 478 is great, and I have the XM radio and weather service turned on. The weather function is outstanding and makes it very easy to figure out when to duck and get your rain gear on before hitting the weather. It is also very useful to see if you can route around weather, and out west the weather alerts are sometime a lifesaver. First trip into Arizona we were up a slot canyon when we received a flash flood warning due to storms on the plateau above us which we could not see or hear. Got out of there before the water even got moving hard.

If the 478 dies, I am not sure what I will do. The 665 incorporates the XM weather, so that is a good possibility if necessary.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in