scrap the Garmin and use the iPhone 5? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

scrap the Garmin and use the iPhone 5?

I was thinking that since the screen size of the new iPhone 5 is almost the same size as the Garmin 660 and you can get GArmin mapping SW on the iPhone 5.

Why not scrap the Garmin for the iPhone 5?

The newest Google Maps is fantastic but it does require cell phone coverage to get maps and update.

Anyone trying this?

I have a long short trip coming up next week and a long trip from FL to Washington State during the summer planned and having a single device that does MP3, phone, GPS, Camera etc would certanly lighten the load.

Any thoughts?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: scrap the Garmin and use the iPhone 5?

I have used my Droid's built in GPS a few times like at CCR in Bosie, The stupid 660 couldn't find the arena for the cutting horse competition dinner but the Droid did so I used in instead. Yeah you have to be in cell tower range for it all to work. Not good out in west Texas in the boonies!Don't think I would abandon the Garmin as I use the SW to plan my trips on the computer - I would hate to try it on the Droid. Point to point is good though.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Paul,

Here is a post I made on another forum a while back in response to the "should I use my smart phone" question, which comes up anew with each new generation of devices. This is a bit dated, but the concepts are still valid. I don't know how the newer phones are with regard to the power drain, charging rate, and thermal load...but at least you know a couple of things to watch for:

Quote:
I used the TomTom app on an iPhone with pretty good success for a couple of long trips. Now I have a 660 (BMW Nav IV) and it's a huge step up for me. Depending on your requirements, a smart phone app may be fine for you. My experience:

No phone-based app that I know of will let you do custom routes. The TomTom app would let you put in a waypoint (maybe more...can't remember) but it was pretty cumbersome and hard to do for a custom route of any complexity. I would just remember a couple of key turns then let the app re-calculate with the new road. Not very elegant, but it did work.

Power and weather. You said you'll have power...that's good. My experience was that the power drain of the phone (iPhone 3S) when running the app with the display on was actually higher than the charging rate. So I would lose battery after a few hours even while plugged in. I had to turn off the display on long stretches to conserve battery and keep the heat down. Heat being the other thing I would fight...my phone would overheat with the app running full time if it was in the tank bag. I had to keep it out in the open air on a Ram mount. And then I had to deal with weather.

If your phone will handle the power and thermal load, if you have a solution for weatherproofing (that does not exacerbate the heat issue), and if custom routes are not important, you might be OK. Don't forget the difficulties of seeing the smaller display and operating your phone with gloves on while riding (very difficult for me, even when on the mount and with a little hole in my finger so the touch screen would work...too much bouncing around and too small buttons).

Re: the network connection....the TomTom app had its own maps and didn't need an internet connection. But they took up a lot of space on the device, and the updates were a pita because you needed 2X the space while the update was happening. I like GPS Drive on my iPhone now...use that in the car...and it only needs the connection when it's doing the initial routing. So if you don't stray too far from your original route it will be fine.
So to summarize, the potential issues, depending on the hardware, software, and your requirements and priorities:
- readability, operability
- weather (heat and rain)
- thermal load
- power use and discharge rate
- internet connection
- custom routing

Thanks,
Jim

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 11:05 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Thumbs down Re: scrap the Garmin and use the iPhone 5?

A friend of mine tried that and it didn't work out very well... First the iPhone wont take the heat and will say "Over Heated" in the display window and stop working until yoou cool the phone down... and the phone can not be updated as often as the Garmin and its not weather proof.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #5 of 12 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 1:45 am

Here is what I have used for several years now. With the current release it has gotten very good.

http://www.skobbler.com/apps/navigation

The app is very cheap and if you buy the "forever maps" (about $10.00 for the whole world) you do not have to use your data plan . One limitation is that you have to be on line to find destinations that are not in your IPhone.

The spoken directions via bluetooth are very good and I use it in conjunction with my Sena system. The maps are from the open maps.org project and are very up to date .

For something that is almost free if you already have an I Phone it is great. I have travelled all over Europe with it, and a automotive Tom Tom as a back-up and never got lost...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 7:38 am

Here's an amazing app that covers the US, Canada and Mexico, doesn't require any power, won't over heat, lightweight, easy to see in bright sunlight, waterproof, fool proof and fits in your pocket or just about anywhere you can imagine. In a pinch you can use it to start a fire.

Best of all, it only costs $4.95 or less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atlas.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	37764  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Here's an amazing app that covers the US, Canada and Mexico, doesn't require any power, won't over heat, lightweight, easy to see in bright sunlight, waterproof, fool proof and fits in your pocket or just about anywhere you can imagine. In a pinch you can use it to start a fire.

Yeah, but the processor & RAM on that model is very very slow....

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:12 am

Quote:

I want to see how you're mounting that on your dash

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Not at all sure about the fool proof part..I had the wife use one of these with limited success.
Then again I did ask her to use it.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:42 am

Quote:
Here's an amazing app.....Best of all, it only costs $4.95 or less.
Can you adjust the font size for easier reading? lol

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Used a IPhone for several years now.

Pros:
It is essentially free with free updates.
Can see it well enough and can hear turn by turn instructions through the helmet.
Have not had it overhead on the bike but did in the car. Mount it high somewhere in the air stream

Cons:
It isn't waterproof so it must be protected in heavy rains
A bigger screen would be nice
It doesn't download routes. (I put route changes on paper and use the tankbag)
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 2:23 am

Quote:

that must be one big map or really tiny print... or maybe both.
I'm guessing it ain't gonna have the secondary roads so much that a lot of riders here prefer.

Perhaps if it's big enough, it can double as a sunshade for the cockpit of your bike- or at least the seat.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in