Sun Shade for GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:04 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Smile Sun Shade for GPS

If anyone is inclined to build their own shade, the following option is presented:

Radiographic film which has been exposed to light or X-ray with sufficiient exposure time to completely darken the film, and which may have been run through the developer is an excellent choice for a shield. It is also impervious to many solvents including Acetone, etc., so it is easy to clean.

1) Use industrial quality 1" wide, adhesive-backed velcro and apply one side to the perimeter of the GPS and wrap around the bottom just short of where the mounting is located (using the Navigator II on my 05 LT as a reference).

2) Cut a piece of film 11.25" x 5" or 6" and radius the two top corners facing the rider...I used a French Curve to establish a pleasing transition.

3) Apply the other adhesive-backed Velcro strip (I used the hook half) to the bottom rear face (front of shield when referencing the LT, please).

4) Apply the shield to the GPS and re-position the GPS on the LT. There is adequate clearance on the left side between the shield and control buttons.

5) One method to facilitate removal of the shield is to use a plastic knife with serrated teeth removed and edge somewhat smoothed to insert between the velcro halves to separate them.
Positioning the shield onto the GPS, while it is on its mount, can be accomplished by positioning a strip of additional film over the left side of the velcro attached to the GPS and sliding the shield down into position. Rapidly remove the strip while holding the shield in position and attach the shield over the remaining run of velcro. Enjoy! Should anyone wish additional information, please PM me.

Terry

Anyone can obtain such used film (commonly discarded) from an Industrial Nondestructive (Radiography) Testing Company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED
If anyone is inclined to build their own shade, the following option is presented:
speaking of which I have made some that mount to the top of the GPS for the 2610 and 276c which seem to be holding up real well at this point, once I get moved I should have some up on the site at a good price.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED

Radiographic film which has been exposed to light or X-ray with sufficiient exposure time to completely darken the film, and which may have been run through the developer is an excellent choice for a shield. It is also impervious to many solvents including Acetone, etc., so it is easy to clean.

1) Use industrial quality 1" wide, adhesive-backed velcro and apply one side to the perimeter of the GPS and wrap around the bottom just short of where the mounting is located (using the Navigator II on my 05 LT as a reference).

2) Cut a piece of film 11.25" x 5" or 6" and radius the two top corners facing the rider...I used a French Curve to establish a pleasing transition.

3) Apply the other adhesive-backed Velcro strip (I used the hook half) to the bottom rear face (front of shield when referencing the LT, please).

4) Apply the shield to the GPS and re-position the GPS on the LT. There is adequate clearance on the left side between the shield and control buttons.

5) One method to facilitate removal of the shield is to use a plastic knife with serrated teeth removed and edge somewhat smoothed to insert between the velcro halves to separate them.
Positioning the shield onto the GPS, while it is on its mount, can be accomplished by positioning a strip of additional film over the left side of the velcro attached to the GPS and sliding the shield down into position. Rapidly remove the strip while holding the shield in position and attach the shield over the remaining run of velcro. Enjoy! Should anyone wish additional information, please PM me.

Terry

Anyone can obtain such used film (commonly discarded) from an Industrial Nondestructive (Radiography) Testing Company.
Great Idea Anyone interested , I have a ton of the product

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Smile Sun Shade for GPS

I'm sure your instructions for fabricating/installing sun shade for GPS is clear to most readers. However, I am totally in the dark as to some of your phrases, and where the velcro is installed, etc. And, some photos of the process would be VERY helpful.

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Flower Pot

I made mind out of an old flower pot.. The throw away kind you get at the nursery when you buy a plant... Plastic is the perfect thickness and is quite pliable. Used 3 suregrip fastners and a ball cap for a pattern...

Picture enclosed

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2916   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	2917  

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 10:04 am

Smile Sun Shade for GPS

You said;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
I made mind out of an old flower pot.. The throw away kind you get at the nursery when you buy a plant... Plastic is the perfect thickness and is quite pliable. Used 3 suregrip fastners and a ball cap for a pattern...

Picture enclosed

John
I really like this design John. And, I think I have a couple of the throw away pots around. Thanks for the tip and the photos.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in