Bumps in Road Causes Power Loss - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Bumps in Road Causes Power Loss

I have a older Garmin Streetpilot 2730 that was working okay during the first couple thousand miles of my last trip, but then it started giving me fits by losing power/electricity whenever I rode over a bump. Initially it occurred at times going over expansion joints at bridges/overpasses, but then it happened at every little bump/imperfection in the road. Usually the connection would immediately be restored, and the GPS would reboot. Other times, it would take a while to come back on.

Not sure if it's the connection of the power cord to the unit on the backside, or if it's something internally. I was using the 12V power cord w/ built-in speaker, which I had plugged into one of those 12V accessory sockets hard wired to the battery. It appeared to be a good connection at the socket, so I assume it's at one of the other previously mentioned points.

I have it mounted on one of those co-pilot shelves, or whatever it's called. which I noticed seems to vibrate more than other parts of the bike.

The unit also tends to lose the map on the screen, even though it continues to show the highlighted route. Not sure if this was because I updated some of the map or not.

I guess I need to call Garmin for a guesstimate to repair it.

Anyone had similar symptoms?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:44 am

Re: Bumps in Road Causes Power Loss

Sadly they no longer offer 'repair' service on the 2720, 2730, and 2800 units, they were the best. I hope it is something simple like the power connection that slides in the back of the GPS. Mine would do that too if not pushed all the way in. Also, try some contact cleaner. Good luck. Maybe you just need some new shocks.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:12 am

My old 2610 gps did that on my LT. Simply unplug the electric cord and wire brush the contacts on the cord. I think that I also "spread" the contacts a little. Over the course of the years, the contacts were kind of flat and did not make good contact with the gps. After I did this, all was well.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Sadly they no longer offer 'repair' service on the 2720, 2730, and 2800 units, they were the best. I hope it is something simple like the power connection that slides in the back of the GPS. Mine would do that too if not pushed all the way in. Also, try some contact cleaner. Good luck. Maybe you just need some new shocks.
Michael, that's too funny. Hmmm. Let's see, I can spend $800+ for new shocks, (or more correctly one new shock) or I can spend the same amount of money for a comparably featured new GPS. I'll have to think long and hard on that one.

Mike, I have tried rebending/reshaping the metallic contact strips at the end of the cord, but I haven't tried any cleaning. Could I really get this lucky? Probably not.
but it's definitely cheaper than Michael's suggestion, and I wouldn't get my hands greasy. I'll try some more bending along with it.

Thanks guys for the info- both good and bad.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #5 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 1:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had to glue some cardboard to the back of the power plug to keep pressure
On it when in the mount.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 2:58 pm

pretty ingenious Dan, sounds like something I would try, rather than buy a replacement
also it's indisputable proof that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 3:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you are using the stock cigar lighter with speaker for power that is the first place I would look as they are not very good. Better to hard wire it in to eliminate that part. My 2720 has a flakey touch screen that thinks it is being touched all the time. I have had it apart several times and no fix yet. I use it on the GS and bought a 660 for the LT.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 1:57 am

I've been looking at a refurb LM1345 for $85; still sitting on the fence about it though. Price looks awful good, It doesn't have bluetooth, I like the directions into my headphone, But they are small enogh and cheap enough to buy two, one my shirt pocket hard wired into my Sena 10 and one up front to look at?

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
If you are using the stock cigar lighter with speaker for power that is the first place I would look as they are not very good. Better to hard wire it in to eliminate that part. My 2720 has a flakey touch screen that thinks it is being touched all the time. I have had it apart several times and no fix yet. I use it on the GS and bought a 660 for the LT.
+1 with what John said. I have two of the cigar lighter/speaker power supplies, one in my car and one in my truck and I have continual intermittent problems with both. The problem is with the electrical connections on the plug.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #10 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
+1 with what John said. I have two of the cigar lighter/speaker power supplies, one in my car and one in my truck and I have continual intermittent problems with both. The problem is with the electrical connections on the plug.
Okay. this is good to know. I'll have to take a second look at that. It's down under the seat anyway, so I'm not relying on the inline speaker, therefor it wouldn't be missed.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in