Strange eMail from Garmin re my 665 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Strange eMail from Garmin re my 665

When I saw something from them it reminded me i haven't finished my letter to the founder-owner, board of directors and upper management. Hours scanning for direct mailing routes only turned up 2 or 3 paths to Board of Directors.

That this fellow thinks I'll send my unit in for testing rather than replacement, after receiving three units their testing failed to "duplicate?" that they were defective, err, units returned to them as defective and then sent to me when their testing again failed to flag them as not functioning correctly, doesn't surprise me.

" I appreciate your time and patience and as always we thank you for choosing Garmin !!"

Nothing could be farther from the truth!! My time, patience, and above all safety has never been mentioned by Garmin. When I've mentioned how I've been treated has wasted my time, that my patience ran out when they refused to overnight a replacement unit, the first one, to me before I was leaving on my cross country trip, and I'd pay the fees, denial was the response--not appreciation!

Thank me for choosing Garmin?!! My point of view is that I've be stuck by Garmin with a stream of defective refurbished units. Stuck also comes to mind when i think about where this third defective unit is--they've stuck in me!

Wonder how any company could manage to make it even worse?

A direct quote from the bottom of the "We aren't done trying to make you MORE UPSET!!" eMail:

""If you don't have time to do right the first time, when will you have time to do it again??""

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:13 am

Re: Strange eMail from Garmin re my 665

Wow.

Really sorry to hear about your continuing issue. I've always found Garmin's customer service phone line incredibly irritating (I think I've averaged 45 minutes of wait time to talk to a human being), but their customer service to be really good once I DO get to a human being (stemming back to 7 years ago when I had a streetpilot slip off my dash and shatter when it hit my gearshift, out of warranty, yet they replaced with a brand new unit).

I don't know how much longer Tom Tom is going to be in business, their map update model sucks (more a year than the average device costs) and you can't easily plan routes with multiple stops.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same with Garmin, especially once better iphone mapping/gps apps are available.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to your issues.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 3 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Re: Strange eMail from Garmin re my 665

In the past when I've called Garmin for help I was struck by how patient and thorough most of the people I talked to were. To me, way above average customer service.

Their "system" might be excellent for the "usual" calls, and excellent for providing "usual" help.

When their QC system creates atypical problems, they choke! Having to deal with repeated QC system failures has just stunned their customer service! This third repeated failure, a unique failure (how can an application detect a system failure that only is only triggered at a certain velocity?) seems to have been thrown out of customer service into the hands of someone who, lacking people to people skills, seemingly has a personality and skills that are valuable to Garmin, but could be as "Red Flags" exemplars for either retail or customer service.

Since this units fine through the LT's audio system I've used it for a few trips, day long and over nighters. I've noticed the commonly reported problem of the unit not finding the MP3 files when it's turned on has been popping up. So far, unit off, unit ON finds the MP3 files; one time it took two unit ONs to get it working.

When riding in a group I do not want to stop, pull of the road, and start playing with the 665 to get it functioning again. When riding solo, I do not want to stop, pull over to the side of the road, kick stand down, and start playing with the unit to get it to work.

Doing this while riding means my eyes are not where they should be! Exacerbating the issue is that I have to try multiple times to just shut the unit off--my safety glove adds too much width to my finger. My finger is pushing on all sides surrounding the On-OFF button.

Net result is that it's not safe for me to use a 665 that functions perfectly but yet still suffers from random audio player failures.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in