Round two with Garmin customer service, Zumo 665 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Round two with Garmin customer service, Zumo 665

As promised twp days ago a manager from Garmin called me today. At the outset I knew they do not want to replace this defective unit. Their position is that it's highly unlikely I'd receive a third unit from them wasn't functioning perfectly.

Since the units I had returned had audio problems and this one does maybe I don't know how to use the unit.

Or, this problem is because the SENA “headphones” I use are not compatible with the 665.

They will call SENA to determine if SENA's unit is compatible. If it is, they want me to send this unit to them so that they can duplicate the problem.

They will not replace the unit because the second refurbished unit did not solve the audio problem. Sending this third unit to me to solve the audio problem in the second unit didn't solve the problem since this unit has an audio problem.

The reason Garmin would not get a replacement unit to me before I started my ride form Maine to AZ was because they didn't have any 665s.

This fellow spent a lot of time talking at me, resorting to evading my questions that had either a yes or no answer.

I pointed out that there wasn't any linkage between the audio problems in the three units. The only thing they have in common is the word audio. The second defective refurbished unit had an entirely different problem from the fist. The first defective refurbished unit's audio would speed up; sometimes it slowed down; many times it couldn't find the MP3 files. If I turned the unit on and off a few times it would function normally for a while. The second unit's audio worked for a few hours and then died. Rebooting didn't work. This third unit's audio works fine through the LT's sound system. But when I hit 50-55 the audio ceases through the blue tooth.

The manager won't acknowledge that the audio problems are different in each unit. It can't be that I got three defective units from them. Nope. He never heard of Finite math. When the prior events are not related to following events, the probability of the last event is only it's normal probability of occurring. Given 8 consecutive heads, the probability of a head on the next coin toss is still only 50-50.

Given that Garmin's manufacturing QC didn't find my first unit defective and given that Garmin's QC where they refurbish them didn't find the problem, IE they were unable to duplicate the problem, and given that Gamin’s manufacturing QC didn't find the second unit defective and Garmin's QC where they refurbish unit was unable to duplicate the problem if I send the unit to you and you can't duplicate the problem why would I believe that the unit isn't defective when it does not work here?

He evades answering; back to the impossibility of have three units with audio problems. Then he starts insisting the SENA's headphones not being compatible with the 665 would explain the problem. When I ask why the seem to be compatible until I hit 50 -55mph h evades the question, telling me Garmin wants to solve this problem, that I have to send them the unit so that they can reproduce the problem.

I patiently explain to him again that if this is a compatibility problem I'll be a HAPPY camper, because that would indicate I finally have a full functioning unit, which is exactly what I wanted when I bought the first 665.
I underscore to him that is someone at Garmin tells me that the SENA is not compatible that I want proof. Proof that explains why the compatibility is a function of how fast I'm going.

I also would like proof that the reason why Garmin refused to get me a replacement unit before I left Main was because they didn't have a replacement unit. Never during my talks with the person at Garmin did he mention that they did not have a replacement unit, Instead he insisted Garmin would not let me buy a new unit and then credit my credit card when they received my defective refurbished unit. And he insisted that the wasn't any way Garmin could get a replacement unit to me in less than 3 weeks. No they would not send the replacement unit to me priority or second day air if I paid for the shipping.

Since he hadn't bothered to find out exactly what was wrong with the first two units I returned I insisted that anyone from Garmin that talks to me again find out what the problems were. And then we'd talk about linking the audio problems of these three units.

Finally I pointed out that when Garmin tells me that sending me a replacement unit that is also defective and therefor doesn't put a fully functioning unit in my hands indicates that replacing this unit will not solve the problem, and Garmin hasn't bothered to get the facts about the two other units, waves a red flag telling me I cannot trust what Garmin tells me.

All of that took about an hour.

I was feed up with all this bull shit and just hung up on him.

I'll never understand why anyone thinks that I won't notice they are evading a Yes or No question when they start a long winded answer not related to my question. When I called that a “dog and pony show” he insisted it wasn't. I asked if he really thought I'd change my opinion because he denied it was a dog and pony show? Off we went on a trip through another answer not related to my question.

I'm continually amazed by people that do not understand probabilities. They really do not have a clue how obvious it is that what they are insisting is silly.

Why on Earth Garmin has this “manager” try and solve the problem of a customer getting three defective refurbished units in a row is beyond me?!

The result of today's phone call is that I'm more upset than yesterday and more certain that I must question any of their assertions to see if any part is based on a fact.

Additionally I'm suspecting they wait two days to contact a customer who wants to talk to a "manager" assuming the customer won't be quite as upset as when they asked to be transferred to a :manager".

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Round two with Garmin customer service, Zumo 665

Bob,
While I understand your frustration with Garmin, by hanging up all you got was more of the same and no solution. Not that it sounds like you were moving in that direction.

So the probability is now you will drive under 55.

BTW; starting to get into the low 40's at night.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

I wasted almost an hour with the "manger" trying to point out flaws in his logic, trying to explain if the preceding events are not related to the next event the probability of the first and last are the same.

Basically all he wanted to do was argue and evade being held accountable for send three defective refurbished units.

It was like talking to customer service at Tucson Electric. Customer service is staffed with bill collectors.

I've been wondering when CharlieVT will be hauling out his chains?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:05 am
Super Moderator

One of the members on this forum sent details of Garmin failures of his three units where the
USB connections failed - this was across several units with varying ages. As I understand it
he wrote the Office of the President and several of the board members. At CCR 2012 in
Duluth I believe he was sporting three new units compliments of Garmin.

Moral of the story - get your point across to those who are more interested in "real customer
service" . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks for the info.

I'm guessing I should hit Google and see waht info I can dig up.

A college prof one time told our class that if th entry level customer service would solve yourproblem, write a letter to the CEO. Adding board members is like icing on a cake. Then the prof said "If you don't tell them, they won't know,"

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in