Nuvi 350 anyone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 1:52 am Thread Starter

Nuvi 350 anyone?

Still trying to decide on which GPS to get, and since it is a fairly substantial investment, want to be sure. Don't need the fancy extras like traffic stuff.. live in Nevada so that is rarely a big problem. Don't ride my LT off road so don't need topo maps either. Just want a unit that I can patch the audio in to the original 99 com system without a big production. (And switch to other bike and vehicles easily)

Small and easy to mount is another big consideration too. This one can go in the tank bag map case for wet weather or get stuffed in a baggie. Hoping someone lurking here has some feedback on this one before I go for it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Well since no one seems to have any feedback on this one, I went ahead and ordered one. I'll let you all know how it works out.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 8:54 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Just saw this. A little late since you already ordered it, Sorry.

My wife uses one of these in her car. She is a home health nurse and travels to 3 or 4 new locations each day. She loves it. Great screen, fast refresh, small with good battery life if you don't want to plug it in. An overnight charge gets her through a couple of days of intermittent use.

It is not in any way water proof. Lots of openings in the case. But, because all of the wire enter in the side for headphones, power and such, you could put it in the map pocket of your tank bag. Antenna will fold flat in the up position.

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Ok, as promised, here is my report. Only had the Nuvi 350 for a few days now and did a little navigating around town with it. Wow. This may be the solution you guys are looking for! I looked at the others and settled on this one, and I made the right choice!

It is way fast, finds itself really quick and refreshes as fast as you can make a turn. Voice directions are good, even has an exasperated female saying "recalculating..." when you make a wrong turn. The screen is bright and easy to read and automatically goes to night mode which is great!

Mounting is a snap, as the suction takes a good bite on either my shelf on the LT or the front edge of the oddments box lid. I know, I don't trust em either and will get a spare one to affix permanently to the shelf. I used a Sony cassette adapter to pipe in the voice, along with the pretty good Mp3 player included in it. I really like that feature. No need for XM with 8+ hours of music on a 1gb xd card. Audio book feature too, voice directions cut in nicely.

I don't know why anyone would want a brick size gps, when this one is the size of a pack of cigs and the screen size is about the same. Not waterproof, so I'll carry a baggie and a rubber band, or maybe some saran wrap. Can always go in the tank bag on battery if necessary too, or my pocket...

Only beef so far is the maps in the Reno area are a bit old, missing some major new streets and changes.

Best price found here: ElectronicsLeader.Com Great service, call him for your best price. Tell him the guy from NV sent you and maybe he will do a little better. Has all the others too.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstlero
Ok, as promised, here is my report. Only had the Nuvi 350 for a few days now and did a little navigating around town with it. Wow. This may be the solution you guys are looking for! I looked at the others and settled on this one, and I made the right choice!

It is way fast, finds itself really quick and refreshes as fast as you can make a turn. Voice directions are good, even has an exasperated female saying "recalculating..." when you make a wrong turn. The screen is bright and easy to read and automatically goes to night mode which is great!

Mounting is a snap, as the suction takes a good bite on either my shelf on the LT or the front edge of the oddments box lid. I know, I don't trust em either and will get a spare one to affix permanently to the shelf. I used a Sony cassette adapter to pipe in the voice, along with the pretty good Mp3 player included in it. I really like that feature. No need for XM with 8+ hours of music on a 1gb xd card. Audio book feature too, voice directions cut in nicely.

I don't know why anyone would want a brick size gps, when this one is the size of a pack of cigs and the screen size is about the same. Not waterproof, so I'll carry a baggie and a rubber band, or maybe some saran wrap. Can always go in the tank bag on battery if necessary too, or my pocket...

Only beef so far is the maps in the Reno area are a bit old, missing some major new streets and changes.

Best price found here: ElectronicsLeader.Com Great service, call him for your best price. Tell him the guy from NV sent you and maybe he will do a little better. Has all the others too.
And what about the Nuvi 360 ???????? With a blue tooth cell phone looks like a no brainer, should run thru the Autocom without any problem I would think...

Now that would be sweet.

Jim

'05 R1200RT Red
Aluminum GPS mount:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Replacement windshield arms:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 9:17 pm

the agony is over- going with the 350/360

pstlero
Thanks for your post on the 350. I have been agonizing for days about this purchase, and your post combined with Jerry Finley's (Pirate) totally redirected me to the 350 (although I will get the 360). I totally excluded the non-cycle units for some reason, and finally concluded that I was discounting the units that really looked best for my needs. Also, after some on-line pricing, your source of Electronics Leader proved to be the lowest price. Very grateful for your information!
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in