BMW Nav III Failed Map update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:26 am Thread Starter

BMW Nav III Failed Map update

Just tried to update from Garmin website using their lifetime map uploader program. Now my device just cycles between the BMW logo and "loading maps" then back to the logo. Tried a reset but nothing changed. Garmin says this device is no longer supported for repairs. Does anyone have an idea to at least get back to the original program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Sep 14th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Re: BMW Nav III Failed Map update

Doesn't sound like it needs to be repaired; like the software is corrupted, That means they should, must help you get the unit functioning again.

I seem to remember that there is a way to re-bot the unit; a way to install software from a computer directly into the unit?

Maybe talking to another tech will get your unit working again.

I seem to remember others reporting this same problem along with a solution a gew years back in this forum.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 7:31 am

John, were you updating firmware or maps? I'm not sure about the III but my nav II can only take a non-NT map. If that is what you're looking for there might be a site where it can be downloaded.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

post #4 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 10:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

My Garmin III+ isn't compatible with any maps after the NT series was introduced. You might find updated maps here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Open source, garmin compatible maps, but a convoluted way to get them.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGloag
Just tried to update from Garmin website using their lifetime map uploader program. Now my device just cycles between the BMW logo and "loading maps" then back to the logo. Tried a reset but nothing changed. Garmin says this device is no longer supported for repairs. Does anyone have an idea to at least get back to the original program?

I also had serious problems trying to use the lifetime updater program. Eventually I gave up and went to the " MyGarmin" site and did the map update from there...that worked the first time. Worth a try!

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys. The software is stuck, even after trying the reboot by holding down the 2 middle buttons. The device isn't recognized by the web site when plugged into the computer. The map software for the III seems to be NT, different from the Nav II. The firmware was already up to date, just wanted to update the maps from 2009.
John
post #7 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 1:38 pm

If you can get it to work in "USB mode"... here is the software.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00517-00
Good luck I had to do that once for my 2820.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 21 Old Sep 16th, 2012, 7:19 pm

I ran into the same issue trying to load map update 2013.2. After a long talk with the Garmin/BMW guru's we determined that the Motorrad III didn't have enough memory to download all of North America map. I tried it twice and both time the unit locked up. After 2 hard resets I tried the Eastern half of the US and it downloaded it prefectly.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #9 of 21 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 6:14 am

I had the same problem with 2013.2 Europe. It firstly won't take all of Europe. But it tells you this and you select a region. (you can download the entire map to your PC and then push what you want over to the unit.). I selected Northwest Europe. Even so I had to try several times. It seemed to hang with about 44 minutes to go. I tried on pc & mac. It some how got in even though I was getting failure messages. It works but my situation now is - on the device, under detail map, 3 lines appear, the 1st with no name. I'm assuming this is the latest map. On my pc every time I start up I get a message 'new map available' and when I connect the device to my Mac I'm told it's up to date!

A bit of a mess but keep persevering! As a device the Nav.lll itself is excellent.
post #10 of 21 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 9:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I also ran into the same problem trying to update the 2009 maps on my Nav III with the current version. I ran the update from the My Garmin site. It did not work the first time, but did the second time I tried. It literally took about 10 hours to complete the update.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 21 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Does you computer running windows recognize your Garmin? Mine seems to take forever to find it?
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 21 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 4:53 am

Yes, and pretty much immediately.
post #13 of 21 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 6:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman
I ran into the same issue trying to load map update 2013.2. After a long talk with the Garmin/BMW guru's we determined that the Motorrad III didn't have enough memory to download all of North America map. I tried it twice and both time the unit locked up. After 2 hard resets I tried the Eastern half of the US and it downloaded it prefectly.
Take a look on your GPS and you may have the old one still there along with the new Eastern half of the US. On mine it's under Settings > Map > Detail Maps.

I had to select regions for the new one becasue it wouldn't overlay the old. That's why mine was running out of space.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #14 of 21 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:54 am

Just an update on my situation. On my last couple of rides I noticed some small roads missing and that the map was slow to refresh. This despite it working perfectly throughout my trip to France earlier. In view of the problems I had with my previous update I decided to do it again. I did it using my Macbook this time. It failed again but this time wiped out all the detail maps on the device. I thought I had nothing to loose so I did the hard reset I read about on this forum and then started the upgrade again.

This time I selected 'install to device & computer'. As it had told me previously that there wasn't enough space for all of Europe I selected 'UK & Ireland only.' Downloading to the computer took several hours (important to change it's power settings to stop it going to sleep) This didn't surprise me as I have a slow broadband connection and I had noted from the size of the download that it must be all of Europe. I decided that it must be downloading the lot to my computer and would then install only the selection to the device. Then it started to install. I expected it would be done in a couple of minutes. However it took over an hour. Then I got the message 'Updated successfully'. Surprise! Bigger surprise was that on checking the detail maps on the device I had all of Europe. Nice and neat. Only 1 detail map - the latest (plus the BMW Motorrad stuff). All the older stuff had gone.

So, as I said above, perseverence pays off!
post #15 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 11:07 pm

I've haven't done an updates since the Garman III was new back in 2006. It states I'm getting a free map upgrade, that expires today, so I started the download if though it was the best time to do so. Everything "seems" to going fine, but really, really slow.

I'm on step 7 of 8. And in this screen it shows 3 circles numbered 1, 2 and I'm now on circle #3, this is the part that is taking the longest, looks like I'm pulling an all nighter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is this normal? File is about 1600 MB installing US & Canada 2013.20 maps.

Triple

Last edited by Vffr1; Oct 14th, 2012 at 11:36 pm.
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 9:44 am

The time taken and file size seems to be normal. Check your power settings and make sure the pc doesn't go asleep or into standby. I don't think it keeps going in the background if this happens.
post #17 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I've haven't done an updates since the Garman III was new back in 2006. It states I'm getting a free map upgrade, that expires today, so I started the download if though it was the best time to do so. Everything "seems" to going fine, but really, really slow.

I'm on step 7 of 8. And in this screen it shows 3 circles numbered 1, 2 and I'm now on circle #3, this is the part that is taking the longest, looks like I'm pulling an all nighter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is this normal? File is about 1600 MB installing US & Canada 2013.20 maps.

Triple
How much free disc space do you have on your compuyer's hard drive?

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #18 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 10:16 am

About 160Gigs on my pc and about 60Gb on my Macbook.
post #19 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 1:19 am

Seems everything went as planned. It took a good 15 hours to download and install everything and the unit is working which a great sign. I haven't ridden the bike yet but the maps are working a bit different then before (I see a "loading" message come up and I never noticed that before).

I did turn off the computer sleep modes BTW. When I went back to Garmin it says you have the current map loaded, more good news.

Is there a way to check which map is loaded on the unit itself?

Thanks everyone for the help and support.

Michael
post #20 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 4:33 am

Hi Michael,

Map loading message on switching on is normal. If you watch carefully it will say what is loading. You can also check under Settings > Map > Detail Maps.

Glad it all worked out for you. It might be old but I think it's a really good unit and, as they say, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'! Actually, for me it works better than the built in one in my car, which was significantly more expensive. It seems to be almost bullet-proof and I particularly like the way the map automatically keeps enlarging as you get closer to your destination. I have mine linked to an Interphone bluetooth headset and get crystal clear spoken instructions as I drive. My phone is also linked and if a call comes in I can see on screen who it is. I have my phone set to auto-answer if connected so I don't even have to touch anything, just say hi after two rings. Much safer and it all works flawlessly. Callers don't even realise I'm on a bike!

Kevin.
post #21 of 21 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 9:27 am

I think it's a great little unit as well. My eyes are not what they use to be so the screen is a bit small now a days.

I have yet to explore all that this device will do. I'm considering getting some helmet speakers so I can use more function of this unit. I also need to explore editing routes, midpoints and using hands free.

I found software version 4.40 by going to Settings>About>Navigator. Do you know if version 4.40 is a 2012 map or a map from 2006?

All the best,

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:53 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in