Garmin MapSource 6.102 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

Garmin MapSource 6.102

Does anyone know if this update will allow the SP3 to use the 500mb chip? It states it fixes the software to accept the 500mb chip but makes no reference to which GPS units. Would give the SP3 a new lease on life - slow as it is - vs the new units.

Thanks

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
[*]Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards when the card is in the unit and data is transferred to the unit (via USB or serial). The 512 MB Garmin data cards are not currently compatible with the USB data card programmer.
[[/list]

Technicaly, it means 'it's not compatible'...
Have you ever try to transfer 128Mb to a Garmin data card when the card is in the unit?
I gave up after 1 hour and it shows that I had 50% transfered...
It's impractible.
I guess we still need to wait until they give us a better solution.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Technicaly, it means 'it's not compatible'...
Have you ever try to transfer 128Mb to a Garmin data card when the card is in the unit?
I gave up after 1 hour and it shows that I had 50% transfered...
It's impractible.
I guess we still need to wait until they give us a better solution.
Elton; I upgraded to Mapsource version 7 for my 2610 (NAVII) and it took about 90 minutes to transfer from the PC to the 2610 (initial download). I am not sure, because I started the transfer and went and did other things.

However, I transfer routes after I create them for my weekend rides and only transfer down the routes which takes just a few minutes.

While the initial download takes awhile, I believe its worth it (unless you are sitting there watching the screen).

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:30 am

Hi David and Mark,
I understand that on your GPS model the donwload could be much faster, but there are few things:
1) the question was "Does anyone know if this update will allow the SP3 to use the 500mb chip?".
I do have the SP3, and belive me, it's insane to download 'maps' to the chip, using the GPS unit.

2) Transfering 'routes' is much faster the transfering 'maps' Mark. I do transfer routes to my SP3 in about 4 to 5 minutes if I have long and many routes, other wise, only 1 minute is enough.
That 90 minutes who took the first time for you, I'm assuming was when the unit was receiving 'maps'. If you have a large memory (like the 2610 and 376C), you have to do it only once and you may have the whole USA (or EU) inside your memory, so next time you just need the 'routes' and it should not last more then few minutes to upload.

On the SP3, I'm not sure how many states will be inside the 512mb (I only have few 128mb chips), but if you need to re-load 'maps' to it, will take couple hours at least.
This is why my point on saying that 'new feature' is not helping that much if you have a SP3.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #5 of 5 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:19 pm

I agree with strsout - use the card reader to download maps onto the card, then plug in the SPIII to download routes. I find this more reliable and faster . I never seem to be able to download routes via the card reader for whatever reason. The SPIII will not read a 512 card...256 max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in