garmin 2720 audio through lt speakeers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

garmin 2720 audio through lt speakeers

I have a 2008 k1200lt with a garmin 2720 gps. I can hear the gps through the j&m intercom. Is there a way to hear the gps through the speakers on the bike instead?

I no longer use the stock wired headset. I have gone to bluetooth headsets. But my current 2720 does not have bluetooth. So I would happily settle for the audio from the speakers built into the bike.

Last edited by oosel; Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Garage
Re: garmin 2720 audio through lt speakeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosel
I have a 2008 k1200lt with a garmin 2720 gps. I can hear the gps through the j&m intercom. Is there a way to hear the gps through the speakers on the bike instead?

I no longer use the stock wired headset. I have gone to bluetooth headsets. But my current 2720 does not have bluetooth. So I would happily settle for the audio from the speakers built into the bike.
Nope... unless you hack away on your harness...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Nope... unless you hack away on your harness...
don't do that, I did and worked fine until I started the bike which blew the audio circuit in the Garmin definitely doesn't make any noise now!!

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:05 am

I thought the '05's and later had a 3.5mm auxiliary jack on the back of the radio? (Have to remove stingray to get to it).

The Garmin 2720 has a 3.5mm audio out pin, so voila? Mine's an '01, so there is a good chance I am incorrect...

If you want music, you'd have to store your mp3's in the Garmin, because that would be your one audio source.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2012, 9:37 pm

I seem to remember seeing bluetooth transmitters that plug into headphone or audio out jacks.

If you are comfortable soldering you can install an audio in jack into your radio. You'll find that info buy searching for info reparing the radio (common problem is the amplifiers kill themselves).

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2012, 8:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosel
Any reason you don't want the Garmin feed to the your bluetooth headset? As BecketMa was suggesting you could get a Bluetooth Dongle the transmit the output from the Garmin to your headset. There are lots of dongle's out there on the web but I would stay away from the $20 ones and go for something like the HJC chatterbox, it can be found for around $50.00. Another place to look is Webbikeworld they did a review of adapters here .HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:26 am.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I thought the '05's and later had a 3.5mm auxiliary jack on the back of the radio? (Have to remove stingray to get to it).

The Garmin 2720 has a 3.5mm audio out pin, so voila? Mine's an '01, so there is a good chance I am incorrect...

If you want music, you'd have to store your mp3's in the Garmin, because that would be your one audio source.
WRONG.... You get whats behind door #1...

Sorta... If you have the voice II, that com system uses the "hole" that the 5 series car adapter plugs into. in addition, the "mode" has to be in "aux" which prevents the use of the radio... Either /Or situation.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 5:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Any reason you don't want the Garmin feed to the your bluetooth headset? As BecketMa was suggesting you could get a Bluetooth Dongle the transmit the output from the Garmin to your headset. There are lots of dongle's out there on the web but I would stay away from the $20 ones and go for something like the HJC chatterbox, it can be found for around $50.00. Another place to look is Webbikeworld they did a review of adapters here .HTH
I'm not so sure about this. I have a Garmin 2730 and a 99 LT, and the only way I've managed so far to get the XM built into the GPS to play through the factory stereo is to use one of those cassette adapters in the factory cassette deck and plug it into the audio out of the GPS. Of course, this won't help with the newer LTs w/o cassette.

I have tried at least two different blue tooth dongles, but I was also trying to link them to a Schuberth SRC system, as well as BMW's bluetooth helmet (which I originally thought were more or less one in the same- WRONG!) One dongle was Harley Davidson's, which put me out of around $50 + shipping, and the other I found while out on the road at a Kawasaki dealership in Colorado this past September. I fail to remember the brand name, but that darn thing parted me with nearly $150, and that was with the cashier giving me a discount.

I'm fairly certain my issues are with these damn helmets. One would think Bluetooth would be an industry standardized technology, but that's far from the case, as I've learned the hard way. There are several different "flavors" of Bluetooth, and to think any bluetooth device will pair up w/ another just makes too much sense, so they didn't standardize it (reminds me of the US Army).

Imagine, buying a new Chevrolet, Ford, Jaguar, whatever, w/ bluetooth capability for hands free calling, and discovering that your particular vehicle will only pair w/ say a Nokia phone, while your spouse's other brand cager will only pair w/ a Motorola. Is that not dumb as hell?

But that's the case when you try to pair these bluetooth dongles and communicators and whatever else with each other. What's interesting is a lot of these bluetooth communicators by Cardo, Scala, etc., advertise you can communicate with other bikers within certain distance of you. Well, I'm guessing that's b*lllsh!t unless the two happen to be using the same brand and model of communicator.

I might have gone on a tangent here.
I have reluctantly resorted to going w/ the just as expensive wires/cords through the factory intercom/communications system that Oosel is trying to avoid.

BTW, if I never had a desire to wear a lid, then all of this would be moot, but wearing any kind of helmet covering your ears will obviously limit the amount of volume you can hear. I often found myself lifting my visor on my C3, so I could enjoy the music a little more so. The other thing is I've always thought it would be neat to converse w/ my wife while riding. That's pretty much a pipe dream without a intercom system, but then you fellow bikers already knew this.

Oosel, Good luck with your audio endeavors.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm

While going thru WebBikeWorld reviews I see mention that some dongles weren't mating with some headsets.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in