Zumo 665 questions and concerns - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 665 questions and concerns

I'm seriously considering a Zumo 665. I'm interested in the Sat radio function as well as the bluetooth capability. I currently have a Droid X2 cell phone that I stream music from to my Cardo G4 headset.

After doing some research I have a concern regarding the volume, it seems that the volume via bluetooth isn't very loud. Any feedback on this??

Does anyone utilize the 665 along with a Droid X2?

There are many complaints about the glare on the screen.

I purchased a farkle bar and intend to mount the Zumo on the bar along with my phone and probably an Itouch. This set up would allow me to remove the bar with all electronics attached. My question is how would the power for the Zumo work? With the phone and Itouch I would run a short usb/micro cord to the Farkle bar power box. I would just unplug them from the Farkle bar and bring them inside with me. I suppose I could use a usb/12v adapter and use the car mount. That doesn't seem to waterproof. Any ideas here would be helpful.

Finally I'm curious as to how the Sat radio subscription works. I have sat radio in my truck now. Does that subscription allow for a GPS setup? Is there an extra cost??

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:07 pm

Re: Zumo 665 questions and concerns

"After doing some research I have a concern regarding the volume, it seems that the volume via bluetooth isn't very loud. Any feedback on this??"

I have the Scala G4 headset and wear earplugs whenever I ride. For best sound, the speakers need to be positioned correctly (aligned with your ears). I also put a spacer behind each speaker to move them closer to my ear. (I think this depends on the helmet you have) Once this was done, I find the volume more than adequate for my needs and have no concerns.

"Does anyone utilize the 665 along with a Droid X2?"
I`m using a Samsung Galaxy. All functions work well in combination with the G4 and the 665

"There are many complaints about the glare on the screen."
Yep .... It`s sometimes hard to see the screen on bright days. But it`s also hard to see the instruments on the dash of RT. I do not regret getting the 665 and don't know if there are better GPS screens.

Sorry I cannot comment on the power supply questions. I installed a fuse box under the rear seat and use it to power all my stuff. I carry my phone in my pocket, and take the 665 and the Contour+ camera off when I step away from the bike for more than a couple of minutes.

"I have sat radio in my truck now. Does that subscription allow for a GPS setup? Is there an extra cost??"
You can still use the radio and just use the 665 as a GPS in the truck. When I called them, they did not allow a subscription to be shared across different units.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:47 pm

I installed the 665 before a round -trip 1600 mile ride. I paired it with a Scala G4. I had the volume up full on both devices, and it was just fine, in fact, the voice directions for the Nav side of the 665 were a little over modulated , so I brought the volume just a little on the G4.

My iPhone ran thru the 665. Both audio and caller ID worked great.

Display is weak in full sun, but that is to be expected.

I activated the XM. I have another subscription for my truck. If you truly wanted to get to one subscription, you could cancel you vehicle subscription, and move the 665 to your truck and listen to XM via the 665--- tho audio quality will certainly be inferior...unless you go with some type of a Bluetooth audio system.

Jawbone makes a great Bluetooth unit, called the Jambox. It is small, super sound, not cheap, long battery life ... I pair it with my iPhone for music at home and on our boat. Incredible audio quality.
But you would have to figure out a way to stabilize the unit in your vehicle.

CB Lee
Indianapolis, IN & Great Bridge,VA
2006 K1200LT (2012-Present)
1992 R100GS. (2011-Present) On Board Grand Banks 42

2000 K1200LT. (2000-2002)
HD Ultra (1998-2000)
HD Road King ( 1997-1998)
HD Springer Softail (1996-1998)
Honda Shadow (1997-1999)
Honda 250 Scrambler (1972-1975)
Honda 305 Super Hawk. (1970-1972)
Suzuki X6 Hustler ( 1969- 1973)

"Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."
Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

I just committed to buying a 665. It is a new Road Tech (Harley model) for $500.

I think the only difference is a Harley logo on the gps and Harley dealerships preloaded.

I think I can stand this for a savings of $250 of so!!

Am I missing anything??

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #5 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:54 pm

You will need some oil absorbing cloth and gasket seal to deal with all of the oil leaks on HDs.

A forum member tip me to being able to down load routes from Mapquest into Garmins. After my first time trying that I thought I had a software problem, couldn't find the routes. But I did find them under data?

Planning a route with Mapquest is so much easier than doing it in my 665!!! While in Springerville AZ I used my 665 with the latest map update to find pizza or Fast Food like McDonalds for dinner. Both pizza places listed did not exist and there weren't any places like mcDonalds or Burger King listed. On my wat to Circle K I passed Mcdonalds. The next day when I headed to a diner for breakfast, it was empty.

I tried using WiFi at the motel to google what I was looking for but the WiFi siganl wasn't strong enough.

I had a great time on my two day ride into the eastern mountains of AZ and western part of New Mexico on my way back home.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in