Garmin 2730 report - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 2730 report

Hi gang,

I've finally gotten around to writing my little rep on the Garmin 2730.

I purchased a motorcycle mount kit to install my unit on my shelf. I decided I didn't want it to be on top of the shelf because I also needed the radar detector and the XM antenna on the shelf. I mounted the antenna puck using a very large steel washer with velcro on the bottom side of it. Then velcro'd the washer to the aluminum shelf. I opted to mount a small 90 degree angle bracket on the center of the shelf and mount the motorcycle mount on it.. This seems to provide the optimum height for me and I can still lower the windscreen all the way without incident... I ran the wiring all the way to the battery and since the intercom is also on top of the battery, this made for a very convenient install. I also at the same time installed the Intaride RP-1 intercom and it's gmrs/frs radio. I opted to use the stereo headphone output on the side of the gps to run the audio to the intercom so I would be able to take advantage of the stereo output from the XM radio and mp3 player as well. The output on the motorcycle cable is mono so keep this in mind when you are running your wiring. I decided to just file a small window in the corner of the hole for the map light to run the wiring out to the GPS unit..

The cell phone is located on top of the radio stingray..You can just barely see it in the pic...

There is a very slight noise when listening the the XM on the intercom but it is completely overcome by the audio so it's really a non issue..but it is there.

The unit works as advertised and with the XM and mp3 it's a great alternative to the stock radio. I can use the unit with the transmitter when I'm not on the intercom and pickup the XM and voice prompts on the LT radio. The navigation is good and updates are quick...I'll probably turn on the weather capabilities just for a month when we go to CCR.

Pictures included..

I hope this is sufficient for those who have been asking about this. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them as best I can..

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mounting.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	2731   Click image for larger version

Name:	front view.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	2732  

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Thanks for the write up & pics.... Ordered my 2730 today!
Mounting is still a little up in the air, but I am going to try to use my roady holder along with the MC mounting kit for now, and then go from there.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Yep - I mounted mine on the '05 BMW mount using Garmin's Motorcycle mount (screwed up perfect).

More here: 2730 mounting...

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 7:13 pm

mounting the Garmin 2730

Be aware that some mounts made for earlier street pilots will interfere with the auto screen dimmer feature of the 2730. Also some mounts tend to block the internal antenna of the 2730.
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 4:03 pm

2730 - STC-II and back + XM & Weather

Well, the Garmin mount worked well w/ the 2730 in the Smoky Mountains last week. Was very nice to have the map set to 0.2 mile scale, and be able to see the "shape" of the next set of upcoming curves on "unknown" roads.

I had a bit of a pleasant surprise activating the XM + Weather - It turns out Garmin is a partner w/ XM - the XM was (I forget now, but think) $9 / month; The Weather / Traffic / Data was to be $12 / month.... when I said I want both because they're both on the Garmin (single XM activation) she said "Oh, that's $3.99 / month."

I said "$3.99 extra for the Weather add-on - that's a good discount."

"No," she said. "$3.99 for BOTH SERVICES because it's in one integrated unit, a Garmin unit."

Wow. I now have XM, weather, traffic data, and stock reports for $3.99 / month. I just paid for a year's service.

Cooool surprise.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Thumbs up I like that $ 3.99 a month

Can you buy it for 3 years????
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 29th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Texas
Can you buy it for 3 years????
I think she offered 1, 2, 3 or 4 years... there's some additional discount when you go over (?) 2 years (20%? I don't remember...).

I didn't know if I'd like XM, but I've got BBC Worldnews (among others) and a couple of Jazz stations that I'm enjoying a lot (not to mention local forcasts in my path).

Depending on how long you want to keep a 2730 (before a newer, better one comes along)... this is starting to feel like cell phones -- the contract pays for the device, if you are willing to stay in the contract long enough.

Last edited by yaklt; Apr 29th, 2006 at 4:29 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in