Garmin Products - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Smile Garmin Products

My Garmin 665 has been serving me well, but Garmin's customer support is way beyond pitiful. Every time I have called with relatively simple questions they are receiving an unusually high volume of calls - doesn't matter what time of day or what day I called they are receiving an unusually high volume of calls. The auto answering voice told me my wait times would be 30 minutes, but most have well exceeded that. No rocket scientist, but with that track record it seems Garmin's real problem is they haven't been on the phone themselves and haven't bothered to hire sufficient help desk staff.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Re: Garmin Products

Getting the support done right is a difficult process. How was your experience once you got to the support person? Its possible they have good technical staff but are short on the number of people they employ.

I have rarely called support for any products ever. I just find a way to figure things out myself.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I have to say, it might take awhile to get someone, but when you do, they are here in the US, and they've always worked with me, and have done everything they could to fix the problem while we were on the phone with the unit on line..

Twice,even though my unit was out of warranty they still sent me a mailing label, took it in and if it couldn't be fixed sent me back a refurbished unit.

I think that they really are a great outfit! I'll be buying Garmins every time.

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 6:32 pm

THe one time I had to call Garmin Support I had to wait a little while, but once a person (based here in the U.S., so no communication challenges) got on the line, I was taken care of quickly - and the person went way "above and beyond".

The "above and beyond" part comes into play because I was calling about a Nuvi 360. I said, "I've been using it on my motorcycle for a few weeks, and now it won't locate the satellites". To which the support tech said, "The Nuvi is specifically NOT rated for motorcycles because of the vibration, and that would void your warranty. Did you say you were in a car?"

I said, "Why yes, I was using it in my car", and he sent me a replacement unit.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 7:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
My Garmin 665 has been serving me well, but Garmin's customer support is way beyond pitiful. Every time I have called with relatively simple questions they are receiving an unusually high volume of calls - doesn't matter what time of day or what day I called they are receiving an unusually high volume of calls. The auto answering voice told me my wait times would be 30 minutes, but most have well exceeded that. No rocket scientist, but with that track record it seems Garmin's real problem is they haven't been on the phone themselves and haven't bothered to hire sufficient help desk staff.

Denny
+1 with you Denny, but if your 665 is "serving me [you] well" why are you calling them? Is it because you are lonely since the 665 is so much better than your previous GPS unit?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 17 Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Garmin Products

It is indeed better by far, Ernie. I decided to add a Micro SD Card to load music on and couldn't find anything in the owner's manual I downloaded. I noticed that Garmin sells a 4 GB card in their on-line store, but I wanted to know what the maximum card size the 665 could handle. Turns out their tech service person didn't know either, but looked it up and told me 16 GB max. Once I got through to a real person (yep, spoke full on English) the service was very helpful, but a 41 minute wait for a 30 second question seemed a bit off to me. My previous experiences were similar. My rant for the year!! The 665 is one great GPS/XM radio.

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
+1 with you Denny, but if your 665 is "serving me [you] well" why are you calling them? Is it because you are lonely since the 665 is so much better than your previous GPS unit?
post #7 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2012, 4:41 am

Like any corporation now, they are probably trying to do more with less, and customer support usually suffers. next time send them an email and they will usually get back to you pretty quickly. thats been my experience anyway.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #8 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
.... I wanted to know what the maximum card size the 665 could handle. Turns out their tech service person didn't know either, but looked it up and told me 16 GB max. Once I got through to a real person (yep, spoke full on English) the service was very helpful, but a 41 minute wait for a 30 second question seemed a bit off to me. My previous experiences were similar. My rant for the year!! The 665 is one great GPS/XM radio.

Denny
Most devices that use the micro SD-HC standard can handle up to 32GB. I'm surprised at the 16GB answer as this would mean they did not build it to the standard set by the SD association - odd. I don't have a 665, but I just installed last night a 32GB micro SD-HC card in my 660 (running the very latest firmware) and it works perfectly.

HTH.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm

I have several Garmin GPS's and was about to dump a lot of money on a new one for my 2012 R1200RT, but then I got so sick of the problems, i.e. rebooting when i'm driving (car), not being able to update the damn firmware without deleting a bunch of crap, having them tell me i need to update, then updating, then being told i need to update (endless cycle when trying to update the GPS firmware on my computer), just a big huge hassle and mess and expense. I found that using google maps/navigation on my smartphone (andriod) is fantastic, seamlessly integrates over bluetooth with the gps turn by turn voice commands, my phone, music, intercom (sena smh10), etc. i'm so happy i saved the expense and hassle of buying a dedicated GPS unit! their days are numbered, folks. the phones and tablets (especially apple) are taking over for all these useless 'specialized' gadgets and i love only having to use/maintain 'one' device as opposed to many (for xm, gps, phone, music, etc).
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 9:58 pm

When I get through to Garmin the techs are friendly, patient, and seemed to be focussed on solving the problem.

Plus, they all speak and undserstand English!

For me, the wait is worth getting through to their techs.

With that said, I am looking for a way replace my GPS with a tablet type of device and an application for GPS such that I can download updated software and maps that are more current than the ones I've gotten from Garmin.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242
I have several Garmin GPS's and was about to dump a lot of money on a new one for my 2012 R1200RT, but then I got so sick of the problems, i.e. rebooting when i'm driving (car), not being able to update the damn firmware without deleting a bunch of crap, having them tell me i need to update, then updating, then being told i need to update (endless cycle when trying to update the GPS firmware on my computer), just a big huge hassle and mess and expense. I found that using google maps/navigation on my smartphone (andriod) is fantastic, seamlessly integrates over bluetooth with the gps turn by turn voice commands, my phone, music, intercom (sena smh10), etc. i'm so happy i saved the expense and hassle of buying a dedicated GPS unit! their days are numbered, folks. the phones and tablets (especially apple) are taking over for all these useless 'specialized' gadgets and i love only having to use/maintain 'one' device as opposed to many (for xm, gps, phone, music, etc).
I think you're right for the general market, but I think there will always (long?) be at least a niche market for GPS units that are tailored for specific activities.

I use GPS Drive on my iPhone, and in the past used the TomTom app, and in terms of usability they run rings around my Garmin. But I have gone the route of trying to use my phone on my bike, and it works but there are some gotchas:
- it overheats after a while if it's in the sun, so I would have to turn it off every time I checked something
- the battery would gradually discharge, even if plugged in, if I left the display on (i.e. the drain rate was higher than the charge rate)
- no way to do custom routes and share with fellow riders

So the phone works for the casual user, but there are some missing features and robustness for the "power" user, or for someone needing a more specialized piece of hardware for their activity. The custom routes thing could be addressed by a phone app, but the physical issues will probably be there for mainstream phones for the foreseeable future.
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 9:05 am

BecketMa - the larger size phones (iPhone, Android) work very well in this capacity, just get a good mounting bracket that you can mount on your handlebars or windshield and of course connect to your power socket since running GPS is a bettery drain. Rammount sells good stuff for the mounts, in my case I just got a mount for my HTC Incredible 2 from Verizon and use it for the car and bike. Another benefit is an android app called Trapster that shows me where the speed traps are and redlight cameras, etc. It's so nice to have *everything* coming from one device (music, phone calls, gps, even text/email can be read aloud to you through the helmet/bluetooth as they come in). At a stop I can just page through and check my emails and texts on my phone while it's right in the cradle. If you want something larger, there are some nice 7" small android tablets that do all of this (Samsung has galaxy tab 2 and another one I think) and apple has a 7" ipad coming in the fall. I'm waiting for the google nexus tablet that should be announced this week, killer specs and price (about $150) and I'm buying that as soon as it's released.

I'll play with using that. haven't had any overheating problems but I can see that as a problem, i'll have to look for a shade maybe.

I see the harp player as your icon - do you play? I play blues/rock harp and guitar, have a nice Sonny Jr. Cruncher amp. Send me a private message and maybe we can get together sometime at a jam.
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:42 am

Not to hijack this thread, but those who use their iphones (or whatever else) besides usides a ups product, how does it effect your cellular bill? I currently have Verizon and have a 2gig (?) limit. With using your phone as a gps, aren't you constantly using minutes?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #14 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:36 am

My 665 has been easy and bullet proof. I believe many of the Download problems are caused by the user having inadequate hard drive space and/or an older chipset and or slow connection speed.

I have a machine with 16 GB of Ram an i7 -2600k CPU at 3.4 Ghz overclocked chipset and a 600GB WD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM Drive with a an Nvidia GTX 560Ti video card.

Comcast cable is fast!

Needless to say, Downloads are fast and installs are quick and trouble free.

Not so on my previous machine!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Not to hijack this thread, but those who use their iphones (or whatever else) besides usides a ups product, how does it effect your cellular bill? I currently have Verizon and have a 2gig (?) limit. With using your phone as a gps, aren't you constantly using minutes?
Nope. It uses internet data to load map sections. I only have 500 minutes shared with three phones and I use gps and Google Latitude so the wife can track me on trips (works better than spot as long as you have cell coverage) and have never exceeded anything. Verizon as well but I do currently have unlimited data but I only average 200-300 Mb. Well below a 2 gig limit. I am using their new app "my Verizon Data" that shows usage as I was curious just how much I was using in a month with facebook and e-mail etc.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
The GPSDrive app loads just what it needs when you make a route. So the amount of data it pulls depends on how often you change the route. If you're really concerned, you can make your route when you have WiFi. Once done, it would never need to hit the net again unless you did a search or changed the route. I'm one of the old timers who still have an unlimited plan, so to be honest I never really pay attention. But as fast as it is, it couldn't be pulling TOO much data even when generating the route.

The TomTom app loaded all of its maps onto the phone at install time, so you didn't even need the Internet once it was installed. That proved to be unwieldy, as it made my phone so full I couldn't do an update, since to update the app you needed 2x the space while the installation was in progress. So I'd have to delete all of my music, update the app, then reload all of my music. This quickly became too big of a pita, plus I like the GPSDrive better.

The GPS receiver doesn't need the Internet to work. Internet usage is strictly a function of the specific app you're using.
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
The GPSDrive app loads just what it needs when you make a route. So the amount of data it pulls depends on how often you change the route. If you're really concerned, you can make your route when you have WiFi. Once done, it would never need to hit the net again unless you did a search or changed the route. I'm one of the old timers who still have an unlimited plan, so to be honest I never really pay attention. But as fast as it is, it couldn't be pulling TOO much data even when generating the route.

The TomTom app loaded all of its maps onto the phone at install time, so you didn't even need the Internet once it was installed. That proved to be unwieldy, as it made my phone so full I couldn't do an update, since to update the app you needed 2x the space while the installation was in progress. So I'd have to delete all of my music, update the app, then reload all of my music. This quickly became too big of a pita, plus I like the GPSDrive better.

The GPS receiver doesn't need the Internet to work. Internet usage is strictly a function of the specific app you're using.
You, sir, need to attend CCR and volunteer for the smartphone segment of the GPS instructional seminar. Yessir, you do. And to practice, come on over to Boerne and we'll take over a *$$ clone coffee shoppe I know and do and dog and pony show.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in