BMR Co-Pilot Obscures Instrument cluster?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:17 am Thread Starter

BMR Co-Pilot Obscures Instrument cluster??

I just walked out to the LT to test fit my new BMR co-pilot shelf, and the thing cuts off my view of the speedomoter at the 30mph mark. The pics on the BMR website do not show this obstruction.

I don't want to rely exclusively on my GPS for speed indications, nor do I want to crouch down to peer under the lower lip of the co-pilot on the road.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you do - just guess at your speed? Are all co-pilots designed to obscure vision this way, or did I receive one with a manufacturing defect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:15 pm

How tall are you...

The taller you are the more the speedo is blocked. Also, do you slump when you ride.

I'm 6'1" and I sit up pretty straight. The shelf blocks only between about 65 to 85. But, I don't care as I use the Garmin as a speedometer BECAUSE it is actually accurate and closer to my eyeline on the road.

If you're using a GPS don't sweat it! Just enjoy the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMR:Garmin.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	2683  

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:33 pm
Bouncer

Unless you are 7 feet tall, the BMR CoPilot shelf does not block the view of the instrument cluster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

I'm 6'6" and it does not block the view of the instrument cluster at all. In fact it acts as an excellent sun shade. Do you have you seat in the "high" position?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #5 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:20 pm
Rider Journeyman

I'm 6'4", but very long waisted. My BMR shelf does obstruct the top of the speedometer. Since I never pay attention to the speed limit... it doesn't bother me Truth be told, I use the GPS for speed information. More accurate and in a better position for viewing.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:37 pm

Might not have installed it correctly.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:44 pm

post some pics... like Grif said, need to see the install.

hmm I wonder if he got the Australian version?
post #8 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

hmmm...

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

My install looks just like JATownsend's pic posted above. Only, it seems that to get the view he has, my camera would have to be down near the handlebars - which his appears to be. Unfortunately, I do no not ride with my head like that!

The side-tabs have rubber bumpers on them that seat against the winglets, the top piece sits on top of the dash, and the vertical shelf back has two small rubber bumpers that I seat against the front of the dash. I'm no mechanical genius, but it only goes on one way. I will post pics when I have access to a camera tomorrow.

If it helps the diagnosis: I'm 5'9", 200lbs, and of relatively normal proportions. When the seat is in the low position, I can see up to 40mph mark, and in the high position, I see up to the 30mph mark. I prefer riding with the seat in the high position.

It seems that the co-pilot would be fine if I decreased the angle of the bend between the shelf plate and the vertical shelf back - say, by making it 90 degrees instead of the ~105 degrees it is now. But I hesitate to modify a product I might want to return shortly, and certainly would not poke holes in the tupperware until I'm sure.
post #9 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:01 pm

Cool

sounds like something is askew, may have been damaged during transport or something, I am 5'10" and no blockage I also ride in high seat position,

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #10 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:01 pm

If you haven't poked holes in the tupperware, I'll bet it's not seated right and thus the prob.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 7:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If I lean forward until my elbows are at my sides and holding the bars, the shelf covers the speedo from 45 on up. If I lean back into my Bakup backrest and extend my arms I see the whole thing. Sounds like you need a back rest.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

pics

Look normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2920.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	2685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2921.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	2688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	2689  

post #13 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:52 pm

Err... more or less...Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
Look normal?
You really need to factor in the thickness of the rubber gromment mounts. They will lift the height a bit. But, depending on your height a bit of the speedo may be cut off. Many of us simply don't mind and refer to the GPS as our dependable speedo!

Either way, it's your call!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #14 of 23 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 7:38 am

As I remember from the instructions they press the unit forward and down. In their install picture they do this with the thumb under the shelf and the fingers placed at the junction of the shelf and the top bracket. They are pushing down with the fingers and pulling up or forward with the thumb. When I installed mine I wasn't bashful with the upward forward force. I think this will make a significant difference when you mark the location for the holes and the eventual installed angle of the shelf.

Just my $0.02.
post #15 of 23 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Applause Please

I must say, the level of customer service provided by BMR Products and Premier Cycle Products is simply outstanding. I've spoken with reps from both companies today about my Co-Pilot shelf install, and they have been cordial, helpful, generous with their time and receptive to my concerns. I have not experienced this in any other industry. Kudos!
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 6:53 pm

I remember one night on Johnny Carson when he had Tottie Fields on. She was only 5'2 but sitting next to Ed MacMann who is 6'4 the tops of their heads were even....Go Figure.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #17 of 23 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Here is a thought.

After I installed my BMR mount today I had to go for a ride. While riding (with a clear, unobstructed view of the dash) I got to thinking about Michael's concerns and was wondering if, perhaps, you sit a lot closer than I do and therefore your angle is way different?

I've tried repeatedly to post pictures but have not been unable to get them uploaded. I've tried from here and from Alaskafish's house (he has high speed connection) and it would appear that there are problems. At any rate, I did send Michael pictures of my install experience, all 30 minutes of it, and if anyone else is interested let me know and I can send them to you via email.
post #18 of 23 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:41 pm

I'm 6'4" on a good day (running about 6"3 1/2" today), and the BMR shelf cuts off the top of my speedo. I've gotten very accustom to using the much more accurate GPS.

BTW... I also have a Day Long seat that sits me up pretty high.

After all I've read, I think I'll take another look at my install.

BB

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #19 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
I just walked out to the LT to test fit my new BMR co-pilot shelf, and the thing cuts off my view of the speedomoter at the 30mph mark. The pics on the BMR website do not show this obstruction.

I don't want to rely exclusively on my GPS for speed indications, nor do I want to crouch down to peer under the lower lip of the co-pilot on the road.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you do - just guess at your speed? Are all co-pilots designed to obscure vision this way, or did I receive one with a manufacturing defect?

yes i ahd that problem so I cut two rounded viewing areas in the co pillot shelf works fine

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:34 am Thread Starter

Customizing BMR

No cutting needed for mine; I just bent the shelf to fit. After talking with Brett from BMR, it turned out that the shelf was flattened somehow, thus increasing the distance between the side-tabs and making it sit lower on the dash. For reference, the shelf is supposed to be exactly 16 3/8" from tip to tip. I bent them back to specs, and then a little extra, and it worked out very well.
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 9:45 am

BMR Co-Pilot Shelf Blocking View of Dash?

Mike:

I have BMR Co-Pilot shelves for both my R1200RT and my K1200LTC. I haven't experienced any blockage of the dash as you have. Very strange.

One of the reasons I love the BMr shelves so much is that they "frame in" the dash by blocking out the sunlight during the day, and more importantly, they keep the "idiot lights" (such as the cruise control light) from reflecting off of the windscreen when operating at night. These are a wonderful side benefit from the fact that they perform their function very well (of providing a place to add on accessories).

All the best, tom t

Tom Talleur
Coastal Georgia
IBA # 30573

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red with Unigo
2005 R1200 RT Red

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM (Radisson Santa Fe)
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN (Park Vista Resort)
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO (Beaver Run Resort)
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY (Grand Teton National Park)
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA (Chateau Elan and Winery)
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD (Ramkota Hotel)
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:56 am

Trivet

I bought a BMR trivet. Mounts right over the BMW emblem on the radio.
post #23 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:45 pm

Just installed my BMR Co-pilot shelf..It sits real nice with no blockage of the instrument panel at all..I'm 5'9"..Now for the GPS (which I'm still researching)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in