New Version of Zumo 665? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

New Version of Zumo 665?

I want to buy this model, but I'm concerned that as soon as I do they will come out with a newer model, as they have with the base line of Garmin GPS for 2012. I asked a Garmin tech and was told "stay tuned" and nothing more. Does anyone know if/when something new is coming? This one's been around a few years so it's due. Also I was about to buy the BMW mount which this fits into, but if there's a new one coming I'd have to know if it also fits that same mount. I would hope so if they want existing 660/665 owners to upgrade. I asked over on gpsreview.net and one of the guys there indicated that he's seeing beta firmware that indicates something is coming that is new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 12:12 am

Re: New Version of Zumo 665?

I have the 665 on a Wunderlich dash mount as my RT is an '09. I'm not totally confident using it as even though I have the latest firmware and software updates I sometimes experience entering an address that the unit will not accept.

I have an older Garmin in my vehicle that will accept virtually any address entered and find it. Sent a note to Garmin on this issue quite sometime ago but no response as yet.

My problem may be unique but if not you might wish to wait for the next latest and greatest.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by noRThwind
I have the 665 on a Wunderlich dash mount as my RT is an '09. I'm not totally confident using it as even though I have the latest firmware and software updates I sometimes experience entering an address that the unit will not accept.

I have an older Garmin in my vehicle that will accept virtually any address entered and find it. Sent a note to Garmin on this issue quite sometime ago but no response as yet.

My problem may be unique but if not you might wish to wait for the next latest and greatest.
I have the same problem. I think the newer maps do not contain the same amount of detail that older maps did. Metro Guide Canada V4 and City Navigator North America V5 on my old street pilot have much more detail than the City Navigator North America NT N14.10 on my Zumo 665. Seems that Garmin decided to "dumb down" their products for some reason. The problem is that the newer maps do contain information not on the older ones. I read that there is a newer version of Metroguide for Canada but it does not support voice prompts on the Zumo.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I have noticed on my Zumo 550. When entering the info it doesn't show it available. But if you zoom in and scroll to the location, the street and address is indeed there and you can set the destination. Of course this only works in benefit if you already know where you are going! ARGH!

Something is wrong with the initial address entering software!

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
I have noticed on my Zumo 550. When entering the info it doesn't show it available. But if you zoom in and scroll to the location, the street and address is indeed there and you can set the destination. Of course this only works in benefit if you already know where you are going! ARGH!

Something is wrong with the initial address entering software!
Yes, zooming in works and provides more detail but not as much as on my street pilot. A big step backwards in my opinion.
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 5:14 am

Don't know how detailed the GPS and related apps are on the smart phones these days, but it seems as more and more people decide to use them instead of buying a superfluous gadget, Garmin and their competitors would want to make their products better by fixing the hiccups and bringing down the pricing.

I've been looking at the various Zumos, Motorrad Navigators, and older street pilots, and there just doesn't seem to be a model that does everything, from downloadable voices to eco-paths to XM and stereophonic Bluetooth (that's waterproof and has a large display).

If anyone has one, let me know.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Since I had to once again call Garmin due to yet another wrestling match with the damn GPS while trying to update the software, I asked about a new MCY model. The tech told me there will be a zumo 350 coming in june or shortly thereafter that replaces the 665.

BUT - due to my constant problems with their crappy code, traffic not working half the time, huge expense, software update problems, paying for maps, etc I really think I'm just going to use my phone or tablet.

I had to use my phone gps recently (google maps running on an android htc incredible 2) and was blown away how much better it was than last time. full voice prompts, better graphics, etc. i sat there wondering why i was about to blow $700 on a dedicated gps unit. and my phone already has all my music, etc on it. i ordered a mount for my phone for $30, screw the $700 for a gps,that will go to a schuberth c3 and/or russell day-long seat!

I want to get a tablet, but small form factor ones aren't quite there yet. there is a 7" apple ipad rumored to be coming soon, and the Asus Memo 370T and Toshiba Thrive 7 look very very good, and would function as my GPS with a good mount and nice large screen as well. that will likely be my next step, those will be around $250 and have so much more capability (cameras, etc). just need to waterproof them is the big challenge. but other functionality on the phone/tablet like trapster to locate speed traps and cameras will be quite handy as well!
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Smile Re: New Version of Zumo 665?

Diver4242, some of us ride outside of the cities where there ain't no cell service, what you gonna do then with your cellular device being used as a map guide then?
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Diver4242, some of us ride outside of the cities where there ain't no cell service, what you gonna do then with your cellular device being used as a map guide then?
The iPhone has a built in Gps, as does iPod and iPad , so you get maps anywhere a dedicated Gps does.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
The iPhone has a built in Gps, as does iPod and iPad , so you get maps anywhere a dedicated Gps does.
Is this on the 4S model? My iphone 4 still needs a 3g signal to show my location and the map. Maybe I need to upgrade.

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 7:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk
Is this on the 4S model? My iphone 4 still needs a 3g signal to show my location and the map. Maybe I need to upgrade.
Are you doing online maps? They need a cell signal to update, dedicated navigation apps like Magellan, Garmin and Tom/Tom have the maps pre-loaded and don't need a cell signal.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Are you doing online maps? They need a cell signal to update, dedicated navigation apps like Magellan, Garmin and Tom/Tom have the maps pre-loaded and don't need a cell signal.
Ok, thanks. What app do you use, street pilot?

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #13 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2012, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

I'm using google maps, and yeah there are a few concessions, like if (somehow, these days?) I don't have a cell signal. as years go by, that's less and less likely, unless i'm in the boonies which in that case it's more likely i'll be on a long straight highway anyway. i think the gap has narrowed to the point where I don't need to spend $700 on a gps to protect me against those side cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in