Zumo 665 as XM receiver off-bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 665 as XM receiver off-bike?

I'm getting a new R1200RT (without radio) and would like to get a Sirius/XM subscription but from a single subscription I'd like to use it in my other two cars and at home via boombox. The other two cars and boom box have 1/8" inputs so in theory I could just pipe the music out of the Zumo 665 to them, right? Is the XM antenna build into the 665 or separate? I imagine satellite visibility could be the problem at home so on second thought I'd probably just use the internet option at $3.50 per month for that.

Just wondering if I should go with the 665 or a non-XM GPS like the 660 and just get one of SiriusXM's little gizmo boxes for reception, but then that's another gadget to find a spot for and coordinate bluetooth pairing etc with, whereas a lot of it is already in the 665.

So I guess I'm really wondering about the feasibility of using it like that, how the antenna is placed, and of course wondering if Garmin will come out with a new, better model soon, before I invest this much $$ into a GPS! Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Re: Zumo 665 as XM receiver off-bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242
I'm getting a new R1200RT (without radio) and would like to get a Sirius/XM subscription but from a single subscription I'd like to use it in my other two cars and at home via boombox. The other two cars and boom box have 1/8" inputs so in theory I could just pipe the music out of the Zumo 665 to them, right? Is the XM antenna build into the 665 or separate? I imagine satellite visibility could be the problem at home so on second thought I'd probably just use the internet option at $3.50 per month for that.

Just wondering if I should go with the 665 or a non-XM GPS like the 660 and just get one of SiriusXM's little gizmo boxes for reception, but then that's another gadget to find a spot for and coordinate bluetooth pairing etc with, whereas a lot of it is already in the 665.

So I guess I'm really wondering about the feasibility of using it like that, how the antenna is placed, and of course wondering if Garmin will come out with a new, better model soon, before I invest this much $$ into a GPS! Thanks in advance for any help.
You need the XM40 antenna for the 665 Which comes with the 665 but is not integrated in the unit it is separate.

I assume you can get signal from your Zumo to your car system from the 1/8" headphone jack. But you need the antenna. You would either have to transfer the antenna from your bike if it is not permamnatly atteched (like mine is) or buy a 2nd antenna for your car.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
You would either have to transfer the antenna from your bike if it is not permamnatly atteched (like mine is) or buy a 2nd antenna for your car.
I believe that the all versions of XM on Zumo require a separate subscription for each active antenna puck because it is just not just an antenna. That was what I found out when I inquired about my 550 when I purchased it a few years back.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I believe that the all versions of XM on Zumo require a separate subscription for each active antenna puck because it is just not just an antenna. That was what I found out when I inquired about my 550 when I purchased it a few years back.
That very well could be the case. Easy enought to call XM-Sirius and find out.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 10:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I believe that the all versions of XM on Zumo require a separate subscription for each active antenna puck because it is just not just an antenna.
Correct.

The puck (antenna) is the XM receiver, so each puck needs a separate subscription.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 11:09 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Its much cheaper to buy a low end XM radio and hook up a second subscription at $6.99 per month.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in