Route from Map Quest - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Moot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 820
Route from Map Quest

I have a new Nav IV. I planned a route on MapQuest. Downloaded it from Map Quest to the GPS and received a message that says the Download was successful. I then went to the GPS and the MapQuest download appears. However, when I attempt to import it, the GPS becomes stuck on "Calculating Route" and will not continue. Ideas?

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
Moot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:47 pm
Senior Member
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,833
Re: Route from Map Quest

Maybe just delete what you have done and reload.

I use Map Quest most of the time and it seems to load ok. I'm using the same GPS. I tend to load WP most of the time and go from one to the next manually.

I have thought about using Google, but haven't figured how to load them.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Moot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 820
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Maybe just delete what you have done and reload.

I use Map Quest most of the time and it seems to load ok. I'm using the same GPS. I tend to load WP most of the time and go from one to the next manually.

I have thought about using Google, but haven't figured how to load them.
Thanks Dan. Closed everything out, redid the route on Map Quest, imported it again and it is all set to go tomorrow a.m. Leaving Las Vegas going to Searchlight NV, then Nipton CA, Kelso, then Amboy (think Route 66--Easy Rider--Roy's), Twenty Nine Palms, through Joshua Tree National Park and on into Palm Springs for the evening. Easy ride the next day to Corona del Mar. No idea why it hung up the first time, but thanks for the quick response. This forum is great , which is why I help keep the lights on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roys_sign_3.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	34383  

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
Moot is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 10:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 616
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Maybe just delete what you have done and reload.

I use Map Quest most of the time and it seems to load ok. I'm using the same GPS. I tend to load WP most of the time and go from one to the next manually.

I have thought about using Google, but haven't figured how to load them.
Were you not able to use this?
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...ps-garmin.html
JimE is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 6:45 am
Senior Member
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,833
Re: Route from Map Quest

Thanks Jim - Yes, I have seen that and, and that's another reason why I'm not using it. Just not user friendly for importing. I just won't take the time to learn it. My wife says I'm impatient. Way too many hoops to jump through to make it work.

Map Quest is almost too easy to use for what I call, down and dirty quick general mapping. If you have never tried it, just git it to open. Quickly locate where you want to go, draw a map and then download it. If your GPS is attached at that point, you are done.

This sounds like a commercial..... What I like best is that it is so easy to locate something in general. Mapsource is just the opposite. Sometimes I can't locate something because my street location is unidentifiable, as per their software. It really an be frustration and a time waster.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 9:59 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 616
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Thanks Jim - Yes, I have seen that and, and that's another reason why I'm not using it. Just not user friendly for importing. I just won't take the time to learn it. My wife says I'm impatient. Way too many hoops to jump through to make it work.

Map Quest is almost too easy to use for what I call, down and dirty quick general mapping. If you have never tried it, just git it to open. Quickly locate where you want to go, draw a map and then download it. If your GPS is attached at that point, you are done.

This sounds like a commercial..... What I like best is that it is so easy to locate something in general. Mapsource is just the opposite. Sometimes I can't locate something because my street location is unidentifiable, as per their software. It really an be frustration and a time waster.
Agreed...doesn't have the nice "copy to Garmin" or whatever it's called like Mapquest has. I've always used Google Maps so that's where I'm most comfortable doing the planning.

Plus, I'm a geek and like understanding how the details work, so it's like a hobby for me.
JimE is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:08 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Route from Map Quest

Ok my turn to stir the pot.
I'm using a Mac so Mapsource is out. I do not like the Garmin mapping software for Mac.
I've always just set down & routed myself manually on the GPS but that takes a long time on multi day trips.
I just tried MapQuest but I have one problem
I put in the start & end addresses then MapQuest routes it for me.
I drag the route to a different road (off the highway) then send that route to my GPS. I get the first route that MapQuest routed not the one I manually changed. I tried to send it as a route first, then as Waypoints. Both ways I send it I only get the original map before I rerouted it to better roads.
How do I get it to send My changed route?

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 2:10 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 616
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Ok my turn to stir the pot.
I'm using a Mac so Mapsource is out. I do not like the Garmin mapping software for Mac.
I've always just set down & routed myself manually on the GPS but that takes a long time on multi day trips.
I just tried MapQuest but I have one problem
I put in the start & end addresses then MapQuest routes it for me.
I drag the route to a different road (off the highway) then send that route to my GPS. I get the first route that MapQuest routed not the one I manually changed. I tried to send it as a route first, then as Waypoints. Both ways I send it I only get the original map before I rerouted it to better roads.
How do I get it to send My changed route?
The correct strategy is to give the Garmin a set of way points, in order, that constrain the route that it can generate, then let it generate its own route. If you try to send it a route, it comes in as a billion way points and will overwhelm the Garmin and it will sit there a while then say it can't generate a route.

From Google Maps, you build a list of what it calls place marks. Then export that list to the Garmin. It will treat them as way points. If you have chosen them well, grasshopper, you will get the route you want.

The details of getting the Google place marks into a Garmin .gpx file can vary but that's what you're trying to accomplish. My current fave is to use Tyre, but it's PC only. On the Mac, you can export the Google Map as a .kml (Google Earth) file, then use the web interface to GPSBabel at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ to do the conversion to a .gpx file that you can hand to the Garmin.

I'm sure you can find a similar approach that will work with MapQuest, but I haven't used MapQuest enough to know the details. I will try to research it a bit this weekend.

We can do a walk-through at breakfast on Sunday if you'd like.
JimE is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 3:31 pm
Senior Member
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,833
Re: Route from Map Quest

Steve, I can only guess that it has something to do with Mac because I can take any MapQuest determined route, add changes and then download my final route. Most of the time I just load WPs.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 4:10 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Steve, I can only guess that it has something to do with Mac because I can take any MapQuest determined route, add changes and then download my final route. Most of the time I just load WPs.
Thanks Dan I'll try it on My work Laptop. It is a Dell.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 4:56 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Thanks Dan I'll try it on My work Laptop. It is a Dell.
Well I get the same on my Dell to. I've tried my desk top (Mac) laptop (also Mac) & my Dell all with the same results.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 1:38 pm
Senior Member
 
Hammam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 429
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
I have a new Nav IV. I planned a route on MapQuest. Downloaded it from Map Quest to the GPS and received a message that says the Download was successful. I then went to the GPS and the MapQuest download appears. However, when I attempt to import it, the GPS becomes stuck on "Calculating Route" and will not continue. Ideas?
I have the same problem with a Zumo 660 (same GPS as the Nav. IV) using Basecamp (Mac.) Garmin software sucks, that's all. Sometimes, even if the GPS seems frozen while calculating, it has in fact imported the route. Other times, not. Wait for a while, cancel and then go see if you can «Go to» that newly imported route.

Transferring routes from the computer to the unit has always been a nightmare. It never works as expected. You have to try again almost every time, delete routes form the unit, and what not. I've wirtten countless times to Garmin aboiut it, and, though they do respond, they have NEVER found a solution. They try to help, but they're always beside the point.
Hammam is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 7:40 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Route from Map Quest

After a few days of hit & miss I have found the ONLY way (for me) to create a route that is different then how MapQuest routes point A to point B then send it to my GPS.
With MapQuest you can enter as many "Stops" as you want.

I get my starting point , then I find the roads I want to ride. From here I find the "Smallest" town on that road. One that is so small the GPS will only take you threw town without any exits. I add this town as a stop then go on to the next small town. I keep adding small towns till I get close to my final stop where I enter the last address.

HERE IS A LINK to a short route (about 80 miles) that I made & sent to my GPS. I also made a longer (600 Mile) route that also looks like it will work for day 1 of my CCR trip.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Feb 7th, 2012 at 8:01 am.
katnapinn is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Moot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 820
Re: Route from Map Quest

Thanks for all the input. For what additional information it adds to the equation, I am using a Mac at home and a MacAir on the road. After the initial route supposedly loaded from MapQuest, I made the mistake of not simulating the ride. My goal was to get from Lake Las Vegas, NV to Palm Springs with as little Interstate as possible. I started out on 95 to Searchlight intending to go through Nipton, Kelso, Amboy, Twenty-Nine Palms then cut through Joshua Tree National Park. Fortunately, I had done that ride before and knew the roads since whatever MapQuest loaded was WAY off after the first couple of turns.

I spent the night in Palm Springs where I manually forced the GPS to route me back along CA -111 to Palm Desert then onto CA - 79 then around Lake Elsinor and eventually up to CA 74 (Ortega Highway), through Temucla, Dana Point to Pacific Coast Highway and on into Corona Del Mar. As any riders in California probably already know, CA 79 and CA 74 are great motorcycle routes.

But, back on point, I still am not getting satisfactory results on routes loaded from MapQuest! Notwithstanding the challenges the GPS presented, I managed to turn an otherwise 270 mile 4 hour Interstate ride from Vegas to SoCal into 500 miles over 2 days.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
Moot is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 8:11 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Shelton, CT, USA
Posts: 2,341
Re: Route from Map Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I'm using a Mac so Mapsource is out. I do not like the Garmin mapping software for Mac.
I use a Mac and 'Basecamp' for routing software and I found it to transfer to my Zumo 550 very good, even if I created the route using 'drag and drop'. The drag and drop creates new 'numbered' via points. The only time I had a problem with maps not going where I wanted was if the GPS recalculated the routes after starting. It think that is because I don't have the same route preference lists possibilities on the Zumo as what I have in 'Basecamp'.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
jackd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garmin Street Pilot III, Quest, Quest 2, or 26XX series GPS??? SteveL GPS 2 Dec 5th, 2010 1:59 pm
A route with waypoints refuses to autoroute in Nav III Voyager GPS 1 Jul 11th, 2010 12:05 pm
Help with route to/from CCR rmg08057 Northern California 5 Aug 19th, 2007 10:30 pm
How to update City Navigator from V7 to V8 on GPS MattKas GPS 5 Feb 14th, 2007 10:56 pm
Finns in Denver, route to CCR and gear advise? pozo_izquierdo Curve Cowboy Reunion 1 Jun 9th, 2006 6:09 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome