Current State of GPS-ness - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 6:42 am Thread Starter

Current State of GPS-ness

The previous owner had a pretty impressive mount/shelf/shade installed on the LT, with wiring for a Radar Detector and GPS.

I, on the other hand, have been extremely happy with Navigon on my iPhone, which is not..toughened for external motorcycle use.

I bought a couple of charge extenders and am experimenting with just keeping the iPhone in my pocket and listening to it tell me directions in the Scala Headset, but wonder what your experiences are with something that would let me SEE the maps as I'm riding.

I'd consider a GPS if it were:
1. One or Two model years removed (read: inexpensive)
2. Had Bluetooth to integrate into the headset (optional if I can see the screen...in fact, I kinda prefer it when Navigon's audio crashes and I can just occasionally look at where I need to go).
3. Weather resistant

But it seems like the GPS's that have 2 and 3 in their featureset also have a price premium....because of 2 and 3 above. Which chaps my hide because I'm pretty happy with the GPS software I've already bought, on a device with a REALLY good screen and a REALLY fast processor...which also plays my music and takes my calls.

Which is funny, because I could see spending $100 on a GPS, or $70 on a Waterproof iPhone case...which may or may not be a compromise, if you catch my drift.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Current State of GPS-ness

I'd consider a GPS if it were:
1. One or Two model years removed (read: inexpensive)
2. Had Bluetooth to integrate into the headset (optional if I can see the screen...in fact, I kinda prefer it when Navigon's audio crashes and I can just occasionally look at where I need to go).
3. Weather resistant

TomTom Rider and Garmin Zumo, meet your requirements ( 2 and 3 but not 1 ) two out of three ain't bad.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:42 am

Zumo 200 may be the best of less expensive motorcycle units. Put one on an R100S and it works fine but its still about S350 on sale.......

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:48 am

I've been looking for a similar solution for my iPhone too.

I've looked at three or four different waterproof/protective cases. My problem is that I don't want to have to switch cases for rainy days and non-rainy...or for when I'm not even on the bike at all. The iPhone being my main communication for work and emails and the like, I need it all the time. So finding the right waterproof case means finding an all-day, any-day solution.

That aside, I've found the following three cases of which I've yet to decide.
The BioLogic Ree Charge Case - designed more-so for cycling it has a battery in it that will give me more time for the all-day rides...since the GPS really eats up the battery. But, with the right charger mount, this isn't really necessary... Cool feature for a cyclist though is that you can buy a hub kit for your bicycle that will charge the case's battery while you're riding. Another drawback is that it appears the case might be significantly larger than the iPhone itself.

The LifeProof Case - I think this might be my choice simply for the low profile-ness of the case. Saying it only extends about 1/16 of an inch from center all the way around. So, pretty slim.

The Concord KeyStone Case - this is the cheapest I found. It may be a good option for having at the ready when the weather turns bad and then not having your iphone in a case at all other times. Unfortunately, it's kinda ugly to me. But for $40, the functionality outweighs the looks.

For mounting it, my only considered option is the RAM Ball Mount for the Clutch Reservoir Plate - I like the offset ball idea as I've heard the centered ball mount can impair the left mirror view. This option will also need a mount for the iPhone itself...considering the waterproof case's size, this might be the only option.

Anyway, I'd love to see what you come up with if you stick with the iPhone for your GPS Solution. These are just some things I've found in my recent searching.

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:56 am

This is another option I found from Concord Keystone...but it's only "Splash Proof"...which, in my opinion, might not be enough for the heaviest of downpours.

'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

So I'm having a fever dream of loss, as it's snowing outside, I'm not thinking straight, but it occurred to me that the bike came with TWO tank bags. Which might reach the mp3 cord that came with the Scala Rider headset. I'll give that a shot. (FREE is the BEST option)

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Doesn't the IPhone maps come from WI-FI or cell service / internet ?
Therefor... if you get "out of range" or lose signal.....you would lose your navigation ?
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 6:59 pm

rhawk...that is correct...I've experienced it myself! The built in Google maps app does not work outside cell coverage (like the mountains of N Ga, SC, NC, and TN. There are quite a few dead spots around here!)

However, I found a free GPS app called Skobbler that has purchase-able maps for "offline" viewing. Since those maps are downloaded to the phone, there is no need for data connection to "update" the maps while driving (unlike the Google maps app). The GPS function still works without data/cell coverage.

So the iPhone (other than figuring out how gloved fingers can work the touch screen) seems to be a great option for those of us who already have one.

'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Doesn't the IPhone maps come from WI-FI or cell service / internet ?
Therefor... if you get "out of range" or lose signal.....you would lose your navigation ?
Navigon downloads the maps of areas you're interested in so they're always available.

And the tank bag works SURPRISINGLY well! Fingers read through the plastic, and the headset cable is nice and slack (I was worried about it reaching anywhere else) and there's space for the additional power packs. I'm thinking putting the fuzzy sided velcro on the back of the phone, and velcro in the case would keep the phone visible and DRY in anything less than complete submersion.

DSC02591 by Matey-O, on Flickr

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Nice...free is good! what kind of tank bag is that?

'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1worshipguy
Nice...free is good! what kind of tank bag is that?
It has a BMW Roundel on it...I think it's factory.

ETA: looks like this one:http://www.teileineile.de/en/bmw-mot...ag-for-k1200lt

------------------------
05 LT - Blue

Last edited by Rocketsled; Jan 24th, 2012 at 9:59 pm.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 1:58 pm

I was thinking about a Nav IV or whatever. After see what they cost and there limitations I Decided to wait a few months for my Galaxy 4 contract to come due and upgrade to the latest waterproof 6 inch phone. You can't beat Google Maps plus you have cell phone , camera,mp3. For a reasonable price. Then in 2 years you can upgrade to the latest and greatest.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 10:53 am

Hi all,
I think GPS ,NAV IV,V,AND VI have gone the way of the 8 track. I have an android phone with Google maps. Google maps are savable. That means you can use the map without service. Google map use about the same data as pulling up one web page. My phone connects to my Uclear bluetooth headset witch allows me to Google maps turn by turn. Navigation, listen to mp3 and make and take phone calls. My Uclear head set only cost 99.00. The only down fall is that it's not waterproof. My next phone will be waterproof. I use to want a NAV system but now I wouldn't take Sven if it was free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in