Garmin North America 2012.30 Maps available - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Garmin North America 2012.30 Maps available

I have downloaded the map file to my Mac and it is slowly copying to my NAV III.

http://www.garmin.com/mapupdate

is the URL.

They had to provide a new version of the Communicator Plug-in for Mac, which is the tool that allows their web site to recognized your USB connected device. It had to be upgraded for 64 bit Safari on OS X Lion.

They also had new tool for PC & Mac - Garmin Lifetime Map Updated for those who have signed up for lifetime updates. It has an applet which checks for new maps, and a new tool to do a combo download from the Garmin site and push to your Garmin Unit. The download took about 10 - 15 minutes for almost 2 Gb.

But the install is taking the usual 1-2 Hours over USB.

One has to admit that a company that still supports all of their old devices and the BMW NAV I, II, III and IV on both PC and Mac and keeps with both Windoze 7 and OS X Lion deserves a lot of credit.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 12:27 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Re: Garmin North America 2012.30 Maps available

One thing I have found is every time I want to do an update I have to re-download Lifetime Map Updater. And if I install it, it doesn't want to run correctly... so I have to run it from the desktop.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
One thing I have found is every time I want to do an update I have to re-download Lifetime Map Updater. And if I install it, it doesn't want to run correctly... so I have to run it from the desktop.
I just purchased the lifetime maps for my Nav IV. I downloaded the Lifetime updater and run it and it starts to install and runs for about 30 minutes and then comes up with an error message and says to try again, then contact Garmin. Anyone else come across this? Solutions? Windows 7 running.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 9:18 am

Cool Re: Garmin North America 2012.30 Maps available

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
I just purchased the lifetime maps for my Nav IV. I downloaded the Lifetime updater and run it and it starts to install and runs for about 30 minutes and then comes up with an error message and says to try again, then contact Garmin. Anyone else come across this? Solutions? Windows 7 running.

Dale
I have had the same issue, I have been dealing with Garmin long enough now to try alternate install methods...grin. If you do the web map updater usually works. One of these days I will spend the 1.5 hours on hold waiting for tech support to figure out what is wrong with my system to work with their software...grin.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard

Dale
Happened to me once after the inital download was successful. I tried to upgrade a second unit and ran into the error with windows 7. I ended up uninstalling, reinstall and reboot to get it to work. Restart was needed, don't know if I really had to uninstall. I did that before trying a restart.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Happened to me once after the inital download was successful. I tried to upgrade a second unit and ran into the error with windows 7. I ended up uninstalling, reinstall and reboot to get it to work. Restart was needed, don't know if I really had to uninstall. I did that before trying a restart.
I ended up using option 2, the single update, and all is well. I then tried the lifetime updater again with no luck, until I removed the Nav IV from the updater, and refound it. Then it worked.

Thanks,

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 10:10 pm

Just downloaded my lifetime maps upgrade yesterday for my Nav III, it first showed an error. I just downloaded it a second time without anymore problems. So far so good.....

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Amazon.com has the lifetime maps for about $65.00. I don't know how long that special will last.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q2TTIO

I just did the download..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in