Bluetooth Headset without Mic? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth Headset without Mic?

I have a 2011 R1200RT with the radio BT option. I'd like to connect the radio and my Zumo 220 GPS to in-helmet mounted speakers but have no need for communication (I only ride solo) or the ability to answer the phone. Any suggestions for a unit that will allow me to connect both devises but without the boom mic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Re: Bluetooth Headset without Mic?

It can't be done.... I am fighting the same issue on the same bike. Nothing will work but the BMW bluetooth AND IT ONLY WORKS WITH A SCHUBERTH HELMET.

If you use anything else it wont stay connected. You will always have issues. The Sena, Cardo and Schuberth all connect for a little bit then crap out, or the audio is very bad and low.

The dealer didn't mention any of this when I bought the bike with the radio system. I could of had J&M put a complete system in for less and use their helmet units.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Well that just sucks

So I guess the only way to get audio to my helmet is with a wire to the speaker output located near the steering head.

I'm still at a loss as to how I'm going to get GPS commands from my Zumo (it ONLY has BT output) to my helmet. Can I wire the Zumo to the GPS input at the steering head as well?

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Lightbulb Re: Bluetooth Headset without Mic?

For what you say you want, look at the U clear. Don't know about your GPS, but it works for the Zumo 550. Calling out sucks, but the sound from the GPS is good. Battery life is about average from what I read. Mine always seems to go out near the end of a 14 hour ride. Just when I need it to find the hotel.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the U-Clear.
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 8:59 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanoR
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the U-Clear.

Go to www.rocketmoto.com & click on the SENA box. The Sena is just what you are looking for. You can get either solo or dual headsets. The also have an accessory headset available with a plug in mic that can be used or not. The battery time for me has averaged out to about 8 hours. It comes with a 12 vdc hookup where if you had to you can power it from the bike or recharge it from the bike as well as the 110 charger.
The headset part # is SMH-10
The accessory headset with plugin mic is Part # SMH-0302 or if you want to use earbuds instead of speakers in you helmet you can order part # SMH-0304.
You can get these unit direct from www.senabluetooth.com but I found the prices at rocket moto to be better.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

Last edited by hp1bmw; Sep 27th, 2011 at 10:59 am.
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you only want sound perhaps something like this, fairly cheap alternative with the bluetooth earbuds ....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/bluet...th-headphones/

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
Go to www.rocketmoto.com & click on the SENA box. The Sena is just what you are looking for. You can get either solo or dual headsets. The also have an accessory headset available with a plug in mic that can be used or not. The battery time for me has averaged out to about 8 hours. It comes with a 12 vdc hookup where if you had to you can power it from the bike or recharge it from the bike as well as the 110 charger.
The headset part # is SMH-10
The accessory headset with plugin mic is Part # SMH-0302 or if you want to use earbuds instead of speakers in you helmet you can order part # SMH-0304.
You can get these unit direct from www.senabluetooth.com but I found the prices at rocket moto to be better.
Jim,

Thanks for the advise. I actually called Rockt Moto yesterday and spoke to Adam. He needed to check on the "bluetooth" profile that my Zumo 220 used to see if it could be paired with the Sena unit along with my built in radio. I expect a call back from him today.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palarimer
If you only want sound perhaps something like this, fairly cheap alternative with the bluetooth earbuds ....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/bluet...th-headphones/
I'd ideally like to pair both my GPS and BT radio (inc. ipod connected to radio) to my helmet. So far the Sena (w/o boom mic) and Uclear (with mic built into the speaker seem like my best options.
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I found this ... I was actually looking for a way to Multiplex multiple audio sources to a single bluetooth headset myself... The BT-01 in this article looks like it might do the trick....

-Preston

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...oms/blu-virtu/

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I found this ... I was actually looking for a way to Multiplex multiple audio sources to a single bluetooth headset myself... The BT-01 in this article looks like it might do the trick....

-Preston

Looks like I have a third option.

Thanks for the info.
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Quote:

-Preston

I tried to find this product earlier in the year and could not find it anywhere. I sent the marketing people a note and they said it was not available 'for sale' and they were not actively selling it to consumers.

They thanked me for my interest.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 8:24 am

I use a Camos Bluetooth system on which the microphone is removable. It pairs with my iPhone and Garmin just fine. Not sure if it will solve your problem or not. Good luck.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in