Street Pilot III -- Good Enough?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Street Pilot III -- Good Enough??

I'm planning on getting a used GPS because it seems like a convenient thing to have. If my use is only occasional and always within 500 miles of home, is the SPIII good enough? Is it worth the $400 (?) more for a 26XX series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Those of us who haven't upgraded still find the Streetpilot III more than good enough. Super technology. Talks to you through headset if so equipped. Much better than trying to open a paper map at speed.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #3 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 7:44 pm

You can get a refurbed 2610 for about $460. Yes...that is WAY worth it!!!

post #4 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:09 pm

The SPIII is great - for, maybe, $100. You're nuts if you spend $400 on it. I'd insist on the unlock codes and Mappoint/City Navigator for the $100. You can buy a brand new (or factory reman) 2610 for about $500. Not much more for a 100x more capable unit with XM radio, wx, traffic, etc.
post #5 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for your input everyone. Based, in part, on your discussion here, I picked up a factory refurb 2610 for $400 on eBay tonight. I'm so pleased to have access to the wealth of knowledge and experience of the bmwlt members.
post #6 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Good deal. Routing calcualtions that take 3 seconds on the 2610 take 33 seconds on the SPIII. By that time, you've missed your next turn.
post #7 of 25 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
Thanks for your input everyone. Based, in part, on your discussion here, I picked up a factory refurb 2610 for $400 on eBay tonight. I'm so pleased to have access to the wealth of knowledge and experience of the bmwlt members.
Been thinking of adding one myself.... so how are you going to mount it?

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #8 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
Dunno yet. Gonna sit on the bike and move it from place to place until I have something promising. I kinda prefer the unobtrustive BMR Trivet, so will start there. http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...0_Trivet&cat=3 Alternatively, if it looks like I'll be mounting multiple items soon, I'll go with their shelf system.
post #9 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Dunno yet. Gonna sit on the bike and move it from place to place until I have something promising.
That is really good advise. However, I hope you will find that the trivet is too low and away from your line of site. The Co-Pilot (or other) shelf mounted options are nice, because they aren't in your line of sight...but just below it. The less time required to take your eyes off the road and put them back there, the better.

I don't recommend my mounting option...but the placement is perfect IMHO.

post #10 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The less time required to take your eyes off the road and put them back there, the better.
Especially at that speed, Joe!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #11 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
Especially at that speed, Joe!
'Twas in Montana...what can I say? I passed two LEOs at that speed and they didn't seem to mind. So...either did I.
post #12 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't recommend my mounting option...but the placement is perfect IMHO.
Just what is your mounting option? It looks like a placemat.
post #13 of 25 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:15 pm

I just screwed the stock 2610 mount onto my (already in place) RMH Dash-Lite Reflector Shield, and I called it "good enough". I want to upgrade to the Co-Pilot shelf someday...but I keep finding other things to blow my budget on. (i.e. HID, a third set of halogens, carbon fibre goodies for my Ninja, etc., etc...)
post #14 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 8:46 am

I also see he hasn't done the speedo mod.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 8:47 am

Did it this week. Going out in a couple of hours to try it out.
post #16 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:17 am
kip

perfect timing
was just looking at 2610s on ebay last nite....

i guess thats what ill go with too....primarily cause my bike already has the mount and is prewired for one.....

usually i know where im going......but it might be nice to know where im at

let me know if u run into any glitches or issues related to the refurbed ebay 2610

thanks

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #17 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:25 am

The SPIII is plenty good for occasional use. The 2610 and other newer ones are MUCH faster to calculate/recalculate a route, but if you are not doing a lot of touring in strange places this is only a minor inconvenience. If you do not do cross country runs, then large memory capacity is not an issue, as you can put plenty of map data in the normal memory.

Also, if this is your first GPS you will learn a lot, then decide if more power would be useful to you.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #18 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:51 am

Quote:
Good deal. Routing calcualtions that take 3 seconds on the 2610 take 33 seconds on the SPIII. By that time, you've missed your next turn.
33 seconds? Geez, Joe, you will have missed several turns by that time! You need the new 976C -- it uses four-dimensional time-displacement technology to access little-known wormholes to look into the future, determine where you've already been (before you get there, of course), and recalc your route, providing direct temporal input. Of course, this requires Schuberth's new Concept 5 helmet and a brainstem port implant for direct cortex hookup. This setup is a little pricey, but well worth it. Give us a review and some pix when that is in place.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The SPIII is plenty good for occasional use. The 2610 and other newer ones are MUCH faster to calculate/recalculate a route, but if you are not doing a lot of touring in strange places this is only a minor inconvenience.
I couldn't disagree more. I couldn't imagine recalculation times of 20 to 30 seconds (or longer) waiting and wondering where you should turn next. Whether we're talking cross country, or locally. And for the money difference ($100-$150, if that), the choice is a no brainer. Nobody here would dream of buying a Pentium III CPU . . . and that is what I liken the processing power of the SP III to.
post #20 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:47 am

I have to agree with Joe on this one, been using the SPIII for about two years and was top of the line when introduced. However, The SPIII is far behind the newer units.
The speed of the SPIII re-calc is far too slow, especially when there are a lot of route changes in a shot distance, it will have you traveling in circles forever(don't ask me how I know). The only way to correct the problem is to pull to the side of the road and wait till it catches up. This condition seems to get progressively worse every time you update to a newer version of Mapsource, don't know why.

Tom McNulty
..sometimes you eat the bear...and sometimes, the bear eats you....

2003 Silver K1200LT---Sold
AKA "Miss Piggy"
2006 Graphit Gray R1200RT
AKA "Piglet"
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:19 am

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I couldn't imagine recalculation times of 20 to 30 seconds (or longer) waiting and wondering where you should turn next. Whether we're talking cross country, or locally. And for the money difference ($100-$150, if that), the choice is a no brainer. Nobody here would dream of buying a Pentium III CPU . . . and that is what I liken the processing power of the SP III to.
WOW! I never said the SPIII was as good as the 2610, and know full well it isn't.

That is not the problem here. The person asked if it was "good enough", and went on to explain what he was doing. He did not ask if the SPIII was the "best". I think my answer is just fine, the SPIII may very well be "good enough" for some people's use, and the money savings can be considerable, so if one is budget tight, not planning to do a lot of riding in strange areas, then yes, it IS good enough.

Some of you people must be wearing Jockey shorts about two sizes too small!!

Also, I did say that recalculation speeds were WAY better on the 2610, but I rode about 80,000 miles with a SPIII, all over the USA, and only rarely was re-calc speed a real issue.

GET OFF the "only the best is good enough kick"! For MANY people, it IS good enough.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #22 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:13 pm

And we never said that YOU said that the SPIII was as good as the 2610. Calling the 2610 "only the best is good enough" is also quite silly, IMHO. The 2610 IS the latest in OLD technology. But at least it's "acceptable". I would never recommend to anyone spending more than about $100 on an SPIII today. Any more than that, and you're throwing away hard-earned cash on a tool that is dog-slow.

And yes David, we are all aware of how many miles you've ridden. But I know guys that have ridden 10 times that distance without a GPS. At the time, that was your only choice. I have a feeling that if you were to buy another LT, it would not sport even a 2610 today. You'd have the latest & greatest thing out there. Please . . . tell me I'm wrong.

Perhaps you might want to examine how your own jockey shorts are fitting before you accuse us of wearing ours too tightly. Examine the beam in your eye before pointing at the splinter in mine.

Happy St. Patty's Day David. I'm done with this thread...
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
perfect timing
was just looking at 2610s on ebay last nite....

let me know if u run into any glitches or issues related to the refurbed ebay 2610

thanks
Hi Kip, I got my 2610 refurb unit on eBay from user: wegotbetterdeals.com. Ok, so the name isn't all that original, but I have no complaints, as the unit appeared to be factory new, came with Mapsource v7, and hasn't had any glitches at all. And at $395, it's the best reputable deal I could find out there. It's only been in use about 24 hours, but the 2610 really impresses me.
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 5:45 am

Smile Sniped

Quote:
Hi Kip, I got my 2610 refurb unit on eBay from user: wegotbetterdeals.com. Ok, so the name isn't all that original, but I have no complaints, as the unit appeared to be factory new, came with Mapsource v7, and hasn't had any glitches at all. And at $395, it's the best reputable deal I could find out there. It's only been in use about 24 hours, but the 2610 really impresses me.
Sniped a factory refurb 2610 2 weeks ago on eBay for $305. Got lucky most do sell for about $400;
I use my sp 3 in my vehicle locally. I will still rate that unit as light years ahead of paper maps.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
tourtech mounts, I love ours!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in