Best/easiest hardwire power for LT GPS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Best/easiest hardwire power for LT GPS?

I recently bought a gorgeous '05 LT that does *not* have the BMW com system and would like to do a nice GPS installation on a RAM mirror-hole or clutch resevoir mount, or perhaps a BMR shelf.

My question is : Has anyone posted a FAQ as to the best/easiest and cleanest way to get adequate switched power to either the left-hand handlebar switch cluster or the area right above the dash top plastic? I'm quite competent at building safe DC wiring harnesses and am willing to put in an accessory relay if necessary, but where I go chicken is disassembling the Tupperwear without any knowledge of the fasteners and where the pitfalls are. I also have no knowledge (yet!) of the bikes electrical system.

Thanks,
--jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 3:36 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Best/easiest hardwire power for LT GPS?

The best/easiest would be the map light above the dash. Easy to get to plus if you turn the key to park (power off & handle bars NOT locked) the GPS will stay on. It is good for fuel stops when you do not want the GPS to turn off.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Easy to get to, as well.
I wondered about that, but since the bike uses it for controlled "convenience" lighting I didn't know if I could steal a couple of amps for the GPS or not.

Thanks,
--jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The best/easiest would be the map light above the dash. Easy to get to plus if you turn the key to park (power off & handle bars NOT locked) the GPS will stay on. It is good for fuel stops when you do not want the GPS to turn off.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 10:18 pm
cws

Garage

Ran my GPS power from the map light for several years (GPS on BMR shelf) with absolutely no issues following some great instructions on the wiring to map light, until just recently when BMW techs "rewired" it for me after having to do some plastic repairs on the nose... they said it was the "thinnest wire on the bike" so re-routed it, unfortunately to non-switched power. I picked that up as soon as they mentioned it, so they re-routed back to the passengers power plug under left rear speaker, at least through the side hole to the connector, where all my other extras run off, but as I said, I had no issues with the power from map-light.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in