How to xfer from my I-Pod to a garmin MP3 player?er - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:22 am Thread Starter

How to xfer from my I-Pod to a garmin MP3 player?er

I'm on vacation visiting a friend in maine. I brought my I-Pod and want to xfer w3hat is on my I-Pod to my Garmin 665.

When I plug my I-Pod into my friend's computer, Apple wants me to either erase mine and sync mine with my friends, or something about only transferring song bought from Apple?

Anyone got a solution?

best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:50 am

Re: How to xfer from my I-Pod to a garmin MP3 player?er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I'm on vacation visiting a friend in maine. I brought my I-Pod and want to xfer w3hat is on my I-Pod to my Garmin 665.

When I plug my I-Pod into my friend's computer, Apple wants me to either erase mine and sync mine with my friends, or something about only transferring song bought from Apple?

Anyone got a solution?

best from Gorham ME
Bob
You should just need to manually copy and paste the files from your ipod to a memory micro memory card that goes in your 665.

Cancel the sync operation and go to where you can copy files from one location to another.

The ipod should show up as a drive and the memory card should show up as a drive.

You can't play music that you have not paid for on a device or card other then your ipod.

If it works andything like my Zune, when buy tunes at least in Zune (I assume Apple works the smae way) the files are converted from a proprietary format to Mp3 which are playable on other devices!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Unfortunately I am not at home in Tucson.
When i connect my ipod to the computer here, apple won't let me access the files on my Ipod.

I do not care about the two or three songs I bought from Apple. But i do want to take the songs I loaded from Cds into my Ipod.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:17 pm

If I understand what you want, then you need to set iTunes to 'Manual sync' in the Preferences (visiting computer). Then connect your iPod to the computer, you would then select the music /songs that you wan to transfer to the iPod, & load them on to the iPod.
You should also be able to transfer songs from the iPod to the computer (visiting) choose a new folder to store them in, then from there you could load them onto your Garmin 665.

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not at home in Tucson.
When i connect my ipod to the computer here, apple won't let me access the files on my Ipod.

I do not care about the two or three songs I bought from Apple. But i do want to take the songs I loaded from Cds into my Ipod.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

thank you for your time.

When I connect my Ipod to this computer, I get a message that my Ipod is linked to another computer, my computer back in Tucson. The options I get are erase my Ipod, or move the songs I bought from Apple to the present computer.

I cannot use I-Tunes to gain access to my I-pod.
I downloaded I-Tunes to a computer that didn't have it. After starting I-tunes, it told me that my Ipod was linked to another computer.

There must be some way to break into my Ipod and copy music form CDs that I loaded into it?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #6 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:40 pm

Yeah , I don't think what I told you before is going to work becuase you can't access you ipod a sa drive dirctly on your friend's machine.

But you should be able to access you itunes account. Do not attach your ipod to your buddies conputer.

Open itunes and switch users and log into your itunes account. You may be able to access your the stuf you have purchased or copied into your "collection that way. You may be able to copy it to a mini memory card for your Zumo that way. If that does not work your going to have to wait until you get home and cna aceess the files on your computer.

You have most likely found the achilles heel of he portable protected music world!

post #7 of 16 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 8:15 am Thread Starter

I found a program that does transfer what is on my Ipod to a computer. It costs $30.

But, the next problem is that Ipod uses MP4 while the Garmin player is MP3. I've found a few programs to concert MP4 to MP3 but haven't looked at how much they cost.

What I thought would be simple, isn't.

Now I have to compare the cost of xferring from my Ipod to my MP3 player vrs the 48 somgs on mt ipod.

Thank you for your time.
Best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #8 of 16 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Try Music Rescue

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/products/musicrescue/

Motor On ,/'

post #9 of 16 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 8:27 pm

I copy all of my itunes music to both my ipod and any mp3 player, including my garmin, that I have. Itunes encodes music in such a way that a regular mp3 player won't play it. The format used is as you have identified. If you get a program called "Tunebite" you can select the songs from itunes and it will make a copy in unprotected mp3 format. Its already your music, so you are not stealing anything. Once you have the music in unprotected mp3 format, you can simply copy and paste the music to any mp3 player. My garmin shows up on windows explorer as another drive and I just paste it where I want it.
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44
I copy all of my itunes music to both my ipod and any mp3 player, including my garmin, that I have. Itunes encodes music in such a way that a regular mp3 player won't play it. The format used is as you have identified. If you get a program called "Tunebite" you can select the songs from itunes and it will make a copy in unprotected mp3 format. Its already your music, so you are not stealing anything. Once you have the music in unprotected mp3 format, you can simply copy and paste the music to any mp3 player. My garmin shows up on windows explorer as another drive and I just paste it where I want it.
Yes that will work when he gets home, the problem is he is not at his computer.

And I don't know about itunes, but with Zune you can download to your computer or your zune but unless you actually purchase the album or song you cannot put it on another player or computer. You DO NOT own the music. You simply have access or the right to limited use on 1 computer and 1 proprietary device.

In order to have unlimited use you must purchase the music and it is released in mp3 format.

I assume itunes works the same way?

post #11 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 6:53 am Thread Starter

I loaded music from CDs I own into my computer..

Then I imported them into Itunes so that I could xfer them to my Ipod.

The Itunes on this computer will not let me xfer those files into this computer, into Itunes.

The files on my Ipod are encoded to prevent xter out of the Ipod unless my Ipod is connected to my computer back home. Or, it can be that the Ipod files are encoded so that only Itunes can use them, and Ipods can only be used with the computer that had Itunes on it.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #12 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 9:42 am

Quote:
I loaded music from CDs I own into my computer..

Then I imported them into Itunes so that I could xfer them to my Ipod.

The Itunes on this computer will not let me xfer those files into this computer, into Itunes.

The files on my Ipod are encoded to prevent xter out of the Ipod unless my Ipod is connected to my computer back home. Or, it can be that the Ipod files are encoded so that only Itunes can use them, and Ipods can only be used with the computer that had Itunes on it.

best from Gorham ME
Bob
Yep, the CD's you ripped to itunes should be able to transferred to any device from itunes. I can do that with Zune.

But I understand you must be at your computer to do so.

post #13 of 16 Old Oct 13th, 2011, 11:05 am Thread Starter

After spending way to many hours to accomplish this I bought a program "AudialsTuneBite".

It converts M3P to MP3 and it captures music from a sound cards so that I can record music from Pandora. It sense the blank space between songs and labels the music.

I didn't find anything so that I could copy music I bought at I-tunes on to my Garmin.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

post #14 of 16 Old Oct 13th, 2011, 11:16 am

Quote:
After spending way to many hours to accomplish this I bought a program "AudialsTuneBite".

It converts M3P to MP3 and it captures music from a sound cards so that I can record music from Pandora. It sense the blank space between songs and labels the music.

I didn't find anything so that I could copy music I bought at I-tunes on to my Garmin.

best from Gorham ME
Bob
So the music you have purchased through i-tunes which resides on your own computer's hard drive are not converted to Mp3's when purchased and downloaded?

Last edited by Atomicman; Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:16 pm.
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 13th, 2011, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Oooops.

Ipod uses M4P format.

What you down load from them is M4P.

What you load from your computer into your Ipod also gets converted.

Your Ipod is linked to your computer, your computer only.

All of the music I copied from CDs and put into my Ipod is in the M4P format. Since I do not have my computer, I cannot access the M4P files in my Ipod.

The software i bought solves that problem.

bob

post #16 of 16 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Oh.

My Ipod is a 4gb. The music on it took up less than 2gb.

I ordered a 2gb micro SD.

When I xfered the files converted to MP3 on to the 2gb mini SD, they would not fit.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in