GPS Question re garmin nuvi? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

GPS Question re garmin nuvi?

I have an old Garmin Nuvi 350 that I am using on my 2009 R1200RT. I simply plug it into the accessory outlet. I have bought the BMW plug that you spice into the cable of the GPS power cable that then plugs into the bmw plug that is on the steering column. Will the volts, watts, amps(whatever) be ok for this device? Wouldn't the volts, watts, amps, whatever, that is supplied at this plug be the same as the amount of power supplied at the accessory outlet? It works fine when plugged in there....I just don't want it to be more at the bmw plug and have it burn out my gps if I need to adapt the power down, or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 10:46 am

Re: GPS Question re garmin nuvi?

The 12v power source, where ever you obtain it from, is the same 'voltage' but the wire that the circuit is in has different current capacities.. Each wire is protected by a fusible link and is rated to supply what is designed for the harness with a safety margin.

GPS hardware doesn't typically draw much current unless it is charging NiCad batteries in the unit. Even then it is pretty much a vey small accessory. Typically the power ports on BMW bikes power electric heated gear so they can handle 100 watts very easily. I don't expect you will have any issues in the PowerLet port or the connection that is normally used for a GPS...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Guess i just wanted to be sure that once I made the connection via the BMW plug, that that plug wouldn't be too hot and burn up my GPS....

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:21 am

Never had any power issues with my Garmin Nuvi. I've powered it from AC, PC usb, on the bike using accessory outlet, the dedicated GPS port and now direct from the battery. I have direct power going into a usb port, then connect the Garmin to that. The issue that I found with the dedicated GPS port was that when I started the bike after a stop, the Garmin would reboot due to the new power supply. This was a PITA when leading a group and I had to wait for the GPS. With direct power, I leave the Garmin on at all times now.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in