Mapping Program for Mac - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Mapping Program for Mac

Just purchased a new MacBook Air and am quite impressed with it, having been a Windows guy since the 8086 processor days. I got the 11" model with the idea to take it with me for routing on the bike. I was pretty disappointed when I realized there was no way to download from the iPad, which would have been my first choice.

Anyway, I got the RoadTrip software from the Garmin website (I have a BMW NavIV). I'm pretty disappointed in that, as I'm used to using Mapsource. I was playing around with Google Maps, but discovered there is no way to download routes to the NavIV.

Before I get too frustrated I thought I would ask everyone on this forum if they have found anything that works well for this setup. I did a search, but only found some 2 - 3 year old references to RoadTrip. Hopefully something better has come along.

Thanks for any help provided.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 9:49 am

Re: Mapping Program for Mac

Go to the apps store and download 'Basecamp'. It is the Garmin software for Mac OS.. Also free and updated free by OSX. I am planning the routes for CCR in Boise using my iMac..

Awesome so far and much better than Mapsource for me. I have a Zumo 550 and I can download routes and everything seems OK. I have planned and executed some smaller routes and they went OK.. CCR will be the big one. I am also successfully exporting my routes and sharing them with my travel companions and they are using MapSource.

Will have a slight learning curve. If you have any questions getting started I might be able to help.

I switched to Mac this spring after I retired and my previous employer took back all my laptops. Windoze.... ....There is no way I will ever go back.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 10:20 am

I used roadtrip exclusively for the 7800 mile trip I just completed. I worked great for me. After you plan a route you need to recheck it carefully to see the entire route is correct. there has been occasions that it did some routing I didn't want. Also check the "directions" tab. One time there was some cryptic words and when checked closely, the routing took me on an unnamed street. This cryptic notation corrupted the GPX file rendering it unusable. I would highly recommend the routes be done in parts so that if there is a problem, you only need to fix one part. I originally did my whole trip, taking hours and hours, only to find it was corrupt!
I know basecamp is supposed to be an updated roadtrip but I still used roadtrip.

Travel safe

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may already have Basecamp. I downloaded several files from the Garmin site for managing maps, etc., and I believe it was one of them. I'll check the Mac app store.

When I was using RoadTrip i found that the detail just isn't there, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. For example, I searched for Bryson City in North Carolina, which is where I'm staying on a trip in August, but it couldn't find it. Another example is that when I look where my house is, which is a major metropolitan area, it only shows the major roads, no side streets.

Jamie

post #5 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 3:21 pm

I was told not to use RoadTrip. Basecamp does at least what RoadTrip does and more. It supports more devices and seems to be updated quicker. Some have said they think that RoadTrip will die.

You need to load the maps that you have with your GPS. That way the PC SW is the same as your GPS. There are several other software packages you will need. Garmin Mapinstall, WebUpdater, POI loader...

BaseCamp will not upload routes to the GPS unless it is at the latest level of firmware.

In Mac the GPS becomes a mounted hard drive with an icon on the desktop. If you download your routes be sure to eject the GPS otherwise your files will be lost.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I was told not to use RoadTrip. Basecamp does at least what RoadTrip does and more. It supports more devices and seems to be updated quicker. Some have said they think that RoadTrip will die.

You need to load the maps that you have with your GPS. That way the PC SW is the same as your GPS. There are several other software packages you will need. Garmin Mapinstall, WebUpdater, POI loader...

BaseCamp will not upload routes to the GPS unless it is at the latest level of firmware.

In Mac the GPS becomes a mounted hard drive with an icon on the desktop. If you download your routes be sure to eject the GPS otherwise your files will be lost.
Thanks. I'm beginning to think my maps are not unlocked, which could be the whole problem. I always had Mapsource on my PC, so I never had to load th maps that came with each new GPS unit I bought as I upgraded over the years. I just kept updating.

Now, with the Mac, I tried to load City Navigator NT from the disk I got with the Nav IV I bought in May. I keep getting a message that the disc is bad, so I sent a request for help to Garmin. We'll see. It could just be that I was loading from a remote disc over my wireless network.

So, can anyone confirm that in addition to RoadTrip or Basecamp, both of which I have, you need unlocked maps, such as CN NT? Hopefully that's the case and will solve this.

Jamie

post #7 of 17 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Mapping Program for Mac

Hi Jamie. The latest version of BaseCamp ( 3.2.1 ) is now a good mapping program.
Your difficulties sound as if the maps you use are still locked. I've just resolved the same issue with the added difficulty of not having access to my GPS unit or the Garmin map CD's. The previous post is correct, you will need all of those Garmin programs.
In essence I have just upgraded my laptop. The older one had mapsource running on an XP Pro partition, also the first version of BaseCamp on Snow Leopard. My new laptop now has Windoz 7 with map source, and BaseCamp running with Lion OS.
It took a 30 min call to Garmin support, including a file they sent me to unlock my current Europe map, but it all works really well now. Even though I had a copy of all the relevant unlock codes, I wasn't able to unlock to BaseCamp without the sent file.
I'm in the process of planning our next trip and will do all of that on the mac.
Very happy with BaseCamp now.
Enjoy.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Hi Jamie. The latest version of BaseCamp ( 3.2.1 ) is now a good mapping program.
Your difficulties sound as if the maps you use are still locked. I've just resolved the same issue with the added difficulty of not having access to my GPS unit or the Garmin map CD's. The previous post is correct, you will need all of those Garmin programs.
In essence I have just upgraded my laptop. The older one had mapsource running on an XP Pro partition, also the first version of BaseCamp on Snow Leopard. My new laptop now has Windoz 7 with map source, and BaseCamp running with Lion OS.
It took a 30 min call to Garmin support, including a file they sent me to unlock my current Europe map, but it all works really well now. Even though I had a copy of all the relevant unlock codes, I wasn't able to unlock to BaseCamp without the sent file.
I'm in the process of planning our next trip and will do all of that on the mac.
Very happy with BaseCamp now.
Enjoy.
Thanks Hilton. I'll wait to see what Garmin can do for me. My preference is to download the necessary files, as I don't have a DVD drive for my MacBook Air.

Jamie

post #9 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 6:24 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

The addition of an external drive for the Mac Air is sometimes required. The Mac super drive works well but they include a hardware thingy so it's only usable with the Mac Air. You can cross load from another mac if it has a CD drive.
Hope the Garmin issue is sorted, finish the planing and get outside and ride.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 7:58 pm

I use the website ridewithgps.com. Easy to build routes and easily download to my 550. It does require an active Internet connection, so it may not be available if you are at some remote site, but it works very well otherwise.
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

So, come to find out that the latest version of Base Camp does not work with the Mac Lion OS. I've spent hours on the phone with the Garmin Mac software experts, and they are stumped. They wouldn't tell me it won't work with Lion, had to find that out by myself, by looking on Mac app store at the reviews for the program. Everyone is saying it crashes immediately on opening, which is exactly what mine is doing now.

Ain't that a bitch, finally figure out how to display the maps properly and now the program won't work!

Jamie

post #12 of 17 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 7:16 pm

I'm running Basecamp 3.2.1 under Lion and it seems to work okay for me,
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1054
I'm running Basecamp 3.2.1 under Lion and it seems to work okay for me,
That's the version that's not working for me, and scores of other people. Don't know what's up. Did you download (upgrade) to Lion or did it come on a new computer. Maybe that makes a difference?? My version came on a brand new MacBook Air.

Jamie

post #14 of 17 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:25 am

I was running an old macbook pro that died. Bought a new one in the last month and restored everything from the Time Machine backup, then upgraded to Lion when it came out.

I'm running with an early 2011 Macbook Pro 15" 2GHx Icore 7 4 meg memory
post #15 of 17 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 4:10 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Sorry to hear of your hassles. I just down loaded the Lion OS to my MBP 15" and updated Base Camp to 3.2.1, every thing works great. Could be a gazillion things.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #16 of 17 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Sorry to hear of your hassles. I just down loaded the Lion OS to my MBP 15" and updated Base Camp to 3.2.1, every thing works great. Could be a gazillion things.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating. I'm going to try to get on with Garmin tech support today. They want to connect remotely and take some screen shots of whatever is going on to send to their engineers. I keep hoping.

Jamie

post #17 of 17 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 6:21 pm

I too have Lion on My MBP and I have the newest version of Basecamp 3.22 and it works great with my Zumo 660.....I think Basecamp is a fantastic program, very easy to use and creates routes in minutes, love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in