anybody have advice for a Nuvi 255W? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

anybody have advice for a Nuvi 255W?

Hey everybody,
I bought my mom n dad a Garmin Nuvi 255W so they could easily find their way around. Unfortunately, they just gave it back to me and said "we'll never use this thang"...

My question is; who, if anyone, has used this non motorcycle specific model on their bike and if so what were the issues if any? I know it's not waterproof or even shockproof but I figured, what the hell, I might as well mount it on my RT (2010) and use it till it craps out...whaddya think?

It wasn't expensive but I really don't need much in the way of a GPS. I'm sure the Zumo 5 and 6 series are all the rage but simple directions are all I need.

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 6:17 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: anybody have advice for a Nuvi 255W?

I have 2 of them ... 1 in my work truck & 1 in my wives car. They are a great GPS. As for the bike just keep a Ziplock baggie handy for when it rain. Just slip the baggie over it & keep going.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 6:44 pm

I have the Garmin Nuvi 200 which I share between two cars and the LT. The automobile windshield mount suction cup holds the Nuvi on the LT just fine; can't say the same for the factory mirrors which need tethers. I use velcro to attach a home made sun shade to the Garmin which vastly improves the contrast in bright sunlight. No problems with water or vibration damage going on the 3rd year. I don't intend to test it in a downpour, just put it in the topcase. Give it a try, as you noted not that expensive. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. In searching over at advrider, everyone there indicates that you need a special wiring system to run power to it to step down the power from 12v to 5v due to the mini usb plug. I want to wire it to a fuse block from the battery. Even though the cable is only about 35.00, I'm starting to wonder if I should just sell this 255W and get a Zumo 220 which is made specifically for motorcycles.............

AAAAHHHH !!

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 9:42 am

Have same model on my 2010 rt,been through several heavy storms,have used wunderlich mount with sat nav adaptor ,For power I ran car power cable from accessory socket using wunderlich Car size plug to DIN size socket magic converter Part No: WUN-2024583 .
sat nav bracket HIGH LEVEL GPS MOUNT - R1200RT (2010 on)Part No: WUN-8600888
Have had no problems at all with this system & i can here instructions up to about 40 mph but usually just look at next instructions.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
Thanks for the advice. In searching over at advrider, everyone there indicates that you need a special wiring system to run power to it to step down the power from 12v to 5v due to the mini usb plug. I want to wire it to a fuse block from the battery. Even though the cable is only about 35.00, I'm starting to wonder if I should just sell this 255W and get a Zumo 220 which is made specifically for motorcycles.............

AAAAHHHH !!
I run both a Valentine and the Garmin from the BMW
power socket converted to a dual standard US cigarette lighter socket. Personally have no need to hard wire anything, both come off and store safely in the locked cases or motel overnight. If you want to hard wire, junk the Nuvi and spend the bucks. I spend a fair amount of time with the GPS off the LT setting up favorite places, trips, or in one of the cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in