Moto Droid X on a bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2011, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Moto Droid X on a bike?

OK, not EXACTLY a GPS question, but this seems the appropriate forum. Anyone here used (or attempted to use) a Moto Droid X on a bike? Specifically in the "Premium Vehicle Mount"? I could use GPS nav for a trip next week but I'm not able to do a full-up GPS install before. The Premium mount works well in my cages, but not sure about on a bike. Experience to share?
Thanks, all!

Marty
Spokane Valley, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:34 am

Re: Moto Droid X on a bike?

What gps, how do you hear the gps, lots of variables......
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

I'm hoping to use the GPS / Navigation "feature" in the Droid X. I'll use Bluetooth to a SENA in my helmet. This whole affair is a temporary solution to get a new (to me) bike home when I can take time to do a "proper" GPS install.

IF POSSIBLE/PRACTICAL I want to use the Verizon Premium Vehicle Mount to hold the Droid X where I can see the screen. I'm wondering if anyone else has used that mount, and how the setup did with typical bike vibration. Don't want to see the whole affair go flying.

I've already done a trial run of the B/T and nav with the phone in my jacket pocket. I want to be able to see the screen and charge the Droid X (GPS and B/T suck the battery down pretty fast.)

Thanks!

Marty

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 8:02 pm

My Droid X is my backup GPS. I use the Verizon mount, but I have plans the switch to the Otterbox with a RAM-Mount cradle over the winter.

Part of my project is incorporating the Droid into the bikes computer (the one I designed).

Dedicated GPS's are history. Buying a Garmin today is a waste of money.

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

P: (603) 283-7624
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm
tjc

I realize this doesn't won't help as a quick solution, but I've used the mounts from Proclip USA on several vehicles & on my LT. Their mounts hold securely and can be ordered with or without a charging plug. A bit pricey, but compared to having my phone fly off at speed, cheap insurance.

I tried the RAM mount with the waterproof box, but it's hard to see through and pretty hard to use the touchscreen accurately through the "clear" plastic membrane. Resigned myself to put a ziplock baggie over the phone when it's wet...low-tech, but totally functional.

http://www.proclipusa.com

Tim Couchman
Aromas, CA
Silver 2003 K1200 LTC

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Tim,

What Vehicle mount did you use? I cannot find anything for the LT...or any motorcycle for that matter.
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Not a Droid, but same idea...I use my iPhone in a RAM mount on the clutch master cylinder. It's easy to see and reach there. I also have a "real" GPS but am finding that Motion X Drive is a better GPS than my Garmin. As stated above, dedicated GPS units are dead, some people just don't know it yet. Anyway I play the iPhone through a Sena system and the GPS works perfectly with that, pausing the audio each time a routing guidance is spoken.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohesiveTechnology
My Droid X is my backup GPS. I use the Verizon mount, but I have plans the switch to the Otterbox with a RAM-Mount cradle over the winter.

Dedicated GPS's are history. Buying a Garmin today is a waste of money.
I agree that the Droid used as a GPS if very functional and accurate. I use mine as a back up to my Garmin 2820. However, I feel that there are still strong advantages to a dedicated GPS. There's nothing like sitting in the comfort of your home and planning a long trip on a PC and then downloading it to your dedicated GPS. If and when the phone technology incorporates that functionality then I'd agree with your statement. Prior to that I'll continue to enjoy my Garmin.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 10:19 am

Quote:
If and when the phone technology incorporates that functionality then I'd agree with your statement.
You can do that today. You can create a route on maps.google.com and save/send it to your Droid. I do it now.

The two disadvantages of the Droid/iPod approach are off-line maps (solved with a third party mapping software such as Nav-it) and the inability to work the screen with gloves on (solved with the use of magnets embedded in your glove finger tips).

I am approaching both of these problems in my designs.

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 30th, 2011, 1:25 pm

The only actual problem still open for the capacitive touchscreen devices is what to do for rain. The cases I've found all interfere with screen usage to some extent. Add in a rain glove, and forget it. Luckily in AZ it's pretty rare for me to have to face this problem.

I'm hoping the iPhone's upcoming voice assistant is as good as expected so you can actually do everything without touching the screen.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in