Garmin Touch Screen Dead - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Garmin Touch Screen Dead

The touch screen on my trusty 2730 has gone from intermittent to inoperative. Before it quit I was getting the foggy screen which eventually dried out as the day progressed. Is there any known fix for this or should I pick up one of the refurbished units now on Ebay? If I do get a replacement, is there a way to transfer my "old" POIs to the new unit or do I have to start from scratch?

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Garmin Touch Screen Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
The touch screen on my trusty 2730 has gone from intermittent to inoperative. Before it quit I was getting the foggy screen which eventually dried out as the day progressed. Is there any known fix for this or should I pick up one of the refurbished units now on Ebay? If I do get a replacement, is there a way to transfer my "old" POIs to the new unit or do I have to start from scratch?
Same thing happened to mine.
There are so many refurb deals now (larger screens too) with a map upgrade included for <$100 it doesn't make sense to do anything else. I recently purchased two, one for the cage and one for the LT.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 5 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks. I just like that old unit, even though it's a brick by today's standards. But I've already got the TourTech mount, plus all the wiring in place and I like my XM radio so I'll just find a refurb unit.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 10th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Enjoy The Ride

You can also call Garmin & see if the will look at it. If they can't fix it they will usually offer you an upgrade for a very good price. BTW I'm from Ann Arbor & I'll be up your way the 4th of July weekend.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 5 Old Jun 11th, 2011, 6:47 am

Garage

Garmin might still work on these, but many users of the Zumo have met with a similar touch screen failure.

Several places in China will sell a replacement screen/digitizer and many users report success with the do-it-yourself repair.
Check www.zumoforums.com and search for screen replacement. If not already a member you will likely need to register to do the search thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in