Garmin 376C & XM Radio A Dynamite Duo for LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 376C & XM Radio A Dynamite Duo for LT

While there's a GPS section thought many more might see this here. The Garmin 376C and XM Radio a dynamite package. Other than figuring out how to wire for multiple bikes and hiding some of the (hay)wire, can't think of anyone whowould be displeased with this combo.

Anyone have any questions, PM me and I will do my best to answer them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 3:51 pm

Can you post a pic of the screen showing the weather thang?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Pix, but now great

Hope this helps . . . just did a quick and dirty job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	136   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	137  

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 4:50 pm

Nice pics. Would you mind zooming in to, say, 2 miles, 5 miles, and 20 miles so we can see the wx detail? Also, any comments you can provide around cost, extra equipment (if any needed) for WX or XM would be appreciated. What's the subscription cost for XM & WX again?

thanks - danbrew
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
Nice pics. Would you mind zooming in to, say, 2 miles, 5 miles, and 20 miles so we can see the wx detail? Also, any comments you can provide around cost, extra equipment (if any needed) for WX or XM would be appreciated. What's the subscription cost for XM & WX again?

thanks - danbrew
Dan, while what you want is achievable it's not what you think it's going to be. Understand that the map/street detail starts coming in at about 0.3 miles. The NEXRAD areas are I believe, one square mile. So, by zooming in the NEXRAD overlay may be limited to one or more large areas, kinda like a large pixel. You can see if you are in a light green, dark green, yellow, red, purple, (order of increasing echo return) and you can see boundaries if you happen to be near a boundary, but mostly you see what 'color' you are in.

Hope I explained myself.

Subscription cost for Fisherman/Lite is $29.099 per month, add XM radio for $6.99.
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Thanks John.

More questions, if you don't mind. I've got the hots for this thing, but am trying to weigh the pros/cons over my current GPS & XM solution. I have downloaded and read the manuals for the 376c and the GMX30 antenna and still have a few questions.

* If you are using the GMX30, do you also have to use the BNC antenna (the stubby one on back)? I think the answer is yes. Would be cool if the GMX30 would pick up gps data, xm wx, and xm.

* How do you wire audio to the 376c for XM audio output? My 2610 has a very nice pigtail with a female 2.5mm jack. Would be nice if the 376c offered the same, although I think you end up with bare wires when doing a hardwire solution.

* You don't need anything extra to receive XM audio, right? Other than ear buds, or input into an audio system.

* How difficult is it to enter text when searching for data in the city select stuff? I really like the touch screen capability of the 2610 - and am not so crazy about the rocker type spell the address thing. I suppose Garmin thinks the touchscreen may not last that long in a salt water environment?

* How long did the install take? Just curious. What are you using for a mounting solution?

* Darn - back to the proprietary memory. That sucks. Ok, that's a comment more than a question.
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
Thanks John.

More questions, if you don't mind. I've got the hots for this thing, but am trying to weigh the pros/cons over my current GPS & XM solution. I have downloaded and read the manuals for the 376c and the GMX30 antenna and still have a few questions.

* If you are using the GMX30, do you also have to use the BNC antenna (the stubby one on back)? I think the answer is yes. Would be cool if the GMX30 would pick up gps data, xm wx, and xm.

* How do you wire audio to the 376c for XM audio output? My 2610 has a very nice pigtail with a female 2.5mm jack. Would be nice if the 376c offered the same, although I think you end up with bare wires when doing a hardwire solution.

* You don't need anything extra to receive XM audio, right? Other than ear buds, or input into an audio system.

* How difficult is it to enter text when searching for data in the city select stuff? I really like the touch screen capability of the 2610 - and am not so crazy about the rocker type spell the address thing. I suppose Garmin thinks the touchscreen may not last that long in a salt water environment?

* How long did the install take? Just curious. What are you using for a mounting solution?

* Darn - back to the proprietary memory. That sucks. Ok, that's a comment more than a question.
The antenna on the 376C as you can see is pretty much the same as on the orig. Nav/SPIII, etc. Much better than on my 2610 and Nav II. BUT, I THINK YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE XM RADIO ANTENNA. It's the 'puck' antenna and seems to work quite well. The antenna output XM radio that is, has a 'firewire' type connector (that little trapezoid) with way more cabe than you may need. Cables always a problem.

The audio output is the standard '3/16" stereo mini-plug' so audio out a breeze.

With regards to the text entry. When I first got my NavII and 2610, was not so hot on touch screen. Now I love it, but the data entry with the 376C is just like old SPIII/Nav so back to that mode. It's just fine and not a big deal.

The install is the usual PITA . . . had to install v6.0 then the upgrade. Probably total time not more than 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, which included a flakey DVD for the 6.0 setup.

With regards to mounting, until I get confidence it's really working to satisfaction, I mounted a RAM mount that's made for the 276C in the convenient (didn't have to drill) holes on the left side of my BMR shelf. Looks kinda goofy with 2 GPS's ...SPIII also.

Nothing extra for XM radio . . . in fact in the car I just have a set of cheap 'non=powered' speakers and sounds ok.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:41 am

Question Look-See

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I got the 376C from the Big Brown Truck Thursday afternoon.
Man is this thing an improvement over the SPIII/Navigator.
Much faster in all areas so far and the screen is superb.

I will get the XM WX setup tonight.

I was thinking about using one of the aftermarket FM Modulators for the XM Audio interface. They are priced right and it requires virtually no setup.
Do I get a look-see next week??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Yes, you would notice the speed increase; I've been using the 2610 and Nav II so other than on the LT (SPIII), lots faster.

Why do you need the FM Modulator; I presume you have some com system and just input to an AUX?????
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:46 am

Okay, you fella's have my attention. I would like to know if any of you have used or can compare the new BMW Navagitor II to the 376C. The fellow I bought the bike from had a 276C and the mount he left on it. The BMW shop close by is selling the BMW md. for 1049.99 with a 2GB? memory chip I believe. The previous owner was there and said that it had more memory and that was necessary and an advantage over the 276C. It has a touch screen and some funky looking mount over the tank. I'm about to sell my boats watermaker I'll never get around to installing to buy one of these things to make navagation easier on my land yacht. Is the BMW a marinized type unit? Can it be used on a boat as the 376C can as a chartplotter? I remember in Dave Dragons Rideabout his gps took a dump in the NW due to rain. I see Dave has a 376C now too. Should it be a more robust unit than the Beemer unit? What's the Beemer unit got that the Garmin doesn't? Dealership addresses? Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks Guys

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:28 am

Quote:
I got the 376C from the Big Brown Truck Thursday afternoon.
Man is this thing an improvement over the SPIII/Navigator.
Much faster in all areas so far and the screen is superb.

I will get the XM WX setup tonight.

I was thinking about using one of the aftermarket FM Modulators for the XM Audio interface. They are priced right and it requires virtually no setup.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that as well. You could easily get one of those small iPod transmitters and use that in the car. You could probably do the same on the bike, but might like something a bit more substantial.

John - so you do have to use both antennas if you want all services? the stubby one for GPS and the hockey puck for XM Radio & XM WX?

Man... I'm tempted.
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:30 pm

Thanks Dave. I'll be looking foward to hearing how well you like the new 376C. Does the XM radio come thru this GPS somehow or is it a seperate item you must add? Loved your trip report and website, especially the videos. Looking to learn to do the same. Have friends in the Holiday area may see you riding some time.

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #13 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:01 am

The Radar looks like it's the ticket for ducking the rain in SW Florida. Where did you purchase the 376C and what was the cost if I'm not out of line asking? Also what is the subscription rate for the radar and XM also if possible. That way I'll know what to set my reserve at on that soon to be gone watermaker. Thanks Dave as always.
post #14 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:10 am Thread Starter

TVNAV.COM Darrel or Glenda: Mention my name, not cuz of any discount but so that they know we are promoting business.

XM Fisherman's Light: $29.99 per month
XM Radio: $6.99 per month with Fish. Light
Some considerations: RAM Mount for 376C w/hardware $27.99
Add't'l Datacards: $105.00
I also got OEM GPS Antenna for auto/roof: $29.99 I think
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:24 am Thread Starter

I just got the Light Version Dave. Figured lightning probably a bit small for screen, so let me know. I get lows/highs and fronts on my "light" package superimposed on the route, etc. Unless the dodo's billing me for full package. hmmmm!
post #16 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I ordered the 376C from TVNAV.com http://www.tvnav.com/376c.htm for $805.00, they have them in stock. Garmin lists them for $1071.00 ...

BTW, TVNAV.COM is a vendor for CCR.

I decided to try the Master Mariner service level for the WX Weather package as I wanted to see lightening strikes and fronts. If it proves to be less useful than the Gee-Wiz factor I'll back the subscription down to a lower package.

The XM Radio portion will be $6.xx a month on my Family plan. I'll remove the original XM radio from the LT and plug the audio cable from the XM radio into the 376C.

The Tourateck Locking mount for the 376C is listed on the site as:
065-0087 Tourateck Mount for Garmin 276C / 376C $119.00

Thats what I just paid for it.
Now you have me thinking . . . the MOSAIC at bottom of the Master Mariner package you have is neat . . . how does it look on the screen?
post #17 of 25 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 2:45 pm

Dave,

I want to go back to the XM setup you mentioned.

My bike has the XM roady II, with the Hoon mount.

http://www.hoonhardware.com/RoadyHolder/roadyholder.htm

The dealer installed it so I am not up on the details of the installation yet. Unlike the picture, in the link I just posted, my radio only has 2 plugs into the left side not 3 like the picture, but everything works. The top plug appears to be power and the very bottom appears to be the antenna input.

I can not find an XM audio output anywhere...looking for help with that.

I would like to buy the 376C and use the same power and audio that the XM is currently using. The XM is 6V, what power is needed on the Garmin?

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Canton, GA
post #18 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info!

There has to be some resister setup in line with the power cable they ran from the battery to the XM roady, in order to reduce the V from 12 to 6. I suppose I can remove that and get 12V for the new garmin.

After reading the document on the roady the middle plug is for a audio output. Currently it just uses an FM modulater built in, I was missing that piece.

I think I could mount the 376C, then use the modified power cable from the roady, remove the roady. Run an audio output from the garmin to the AUX input on the BMW comm system and get XM through the system that way.

My question is, will my phone still work if I did that? While I was listening to XM VIA the AUX input would the music fade down and the cell phone call break in?

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Canton, GA
post #19 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Mounting a BMW Nav i and the 376C

I am using the 376C on my R1200GS along with the BMW Nav ii.

here is a picture of that setup

I also have a 2002 K1200LT that has the dealer-installed BMW Nav i (Garmin Street Pilot iii). i am wondering how i can mount them together on the bike. it has been suggested that i remove the Nav i and mount the 2 units side-by-side. i'm not sure i'll be able to fully put DOWN the windshield IF i do it this way. remembering that the 376C is the very same OUTSIDE unit as the 176C/276C series of garmin units, does anyone here have any ideas about this?

thanks in advance
greg
post #20 of 25 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:22 am

Re. the Roady 2 - the unit does require 6v, but the cig. lighter adapter that comes with it (obviously) takes 12v. It has step down module/unit/transmogrefier/whatever in the cig lighter adapter part.

Wonder how long the USB cable for the XM/WX antenna is? I know there's a 2m extension, but I wonder if it is an extension or if that's the cable length? Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it gets here!!

post #21 of 25 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 5:41 am

the cable is 2m
and the extension is 2m
so you get 4m

greg

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #22 of 25 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 4:46 pm

Interesting feedback on the 376c

ok, i've had it a few days and while I haven't had a lot of time to ride with the 376c, I do have some early observations.

remember how I was grouching that the audio dongle off the power cable only supported a mono output? And then I discovered that the jack at the back of the unit supported stereo output? well... I'm riding around today and notice there was an annoying hum and feedback when connected to the audio jack on the back of the unit. I also interfaced a tesseract xma audio mixer into the situation -- the jury is still out on how well that works -- bottom line, feedback was worse with the xma. anyway, i wired the shure ec2s directly to the 376c. still noisy on the stereo output jack. I bought a 2.5mm mono to 3.5mm stereo adapter at Radio Shack and then plugged my ec2s into the adapter. no noise. it's not "real" stereo, but who can really tell? very very pleased with the solution. if you find you're picking up ground loop noise, try to tap into the mono dongle.

leaving on a BBG tonight. will post stories and photos sometime tomorrow night.

post #23 of 25 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:16 pm

Quote:
I'm not getting any noise at all using the stereo output on the back of 376C through the XM-FM Modulator.

Both are grounded directly to the battery.
My unit is grounded directly to the battery as well -- and switched through a relay with the negative side grounded direct to the battery. The noise is a low hum oscillation that is somewhat difficult to hear - if I turn up the volume, it's hard to hear - but it's still there and just think that it would be annoying after a few hours. I'd bet the FM modulator would mask the hum.

Interesting new technology, that's for sure.

You know how XM Radio lets you download the audio to a computer so you can listen at your PC? Wouldn't it be cool if they let you download the WX to your PC as well?

post #24 of 25 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Good luck on your BBG, Dan.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #25 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Thanks Ken!! Finished it last night -- BBG, 1500 miles in 24 hours. Now I just gotta make sure all my receipts are in order. Had a great ride. The XM capabilities of the 376 really made the ride a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in