iPhone for tunes on LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

iPhone for tunes on LT

I recently upgraded my Verizon phone to an iPhone4 and I started having problems with my Sirius receiver and decided to give internet radio a try and it works pretty good. I was on a 800 mile business trip this week and I used the iPhone to feed my AUX input in my truck and it worked so well I would like to see if I can mount the iPhone on the LT on my BMR CoPilot somehow. I see a few mentions about using weather apps and I use Weather Channel to give local radar maps. Pretty cool during a snow storm two weeks ago.

Now reason for the post. What have you done to mount the iPhone for GPS use. I have a Zumo 550 with a Touratech mount so I really don't need a GPS. I bought a Dice mount and cable for my truck but I'm not sure that is secure enough for the LT. I see some have mounted their iPhone.. How about some pictures and comments on your mount and how secure you think it is. I'm not looking for something that is theft resistant. I'm looking for vibration resistance..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:57 pm. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: iPhone for tunes on LT

I've been using the iPhone mount from RAM. It's very secure if you click it in correctly, but not at all waterproof. I just made an L-bracket and bolted it to my existing shelf rather than using any of the RAM balls or arms.

Mine is actually an iPhone 3G mount. The iPhone 4 does fit, but not perfectly. It's still very secure though. When I upgraded to the iPhone 4 I looked at getting an upgraded RAM mount, but decided to go a different direction.

So I bought a Bike Mount for iPhone 4 from BioLogic, a bicycle accessory company. Their mount is a bit bigger overall, but it is waterproof. You can still operate the phone in the mount, although some gloves have trouble with the iPhone's capacitive touchscreen (whether in a mount or not). I haven't mounted it yet, but the phone fits into it easily and it seems to be well made.

Using the Schuberth SRC Bluetooth helmet setup means there's no "audio" cable to hook up (even though the mount does allow for that). You could even run without a power cable for quite a while (as the iPhone has great battery life) but I will leave mine plugged in all the time. Again, the mount allows for a waterproof connection to the standard Apple power cable.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Ken That is really interesting. I bought the Dice holder and cables because it allowed me to get the sound to my AUX input. At the time I bought it I didn't realize that the setup would allow the phone to work as a speaker phone through my radio and act like an integrated bluetooth car setup. This almost appears to be the best solution to get tunes to a bluetooth equipped helmet. I have a Nolan N102 but not the electronics so this may be the next upgrade. I have an old AutoCom setup now that just isn't working. Designed for a 15 years ago when the best you could do was listen to the radio..

Is this mount from RAM is the one you are using. I would assume has a ball on the rear so you can position the display to a good angle. It looks like a standard charge cable will still be able to be used and there are plenty of ways to run the iPhone hot off the LT. If there is a ball at the rear it looks like this will work for me. Using a standard RAM base I can mount that to a side with a standard AMP hole configuration that I use for my Sirius receiver.

I am very interested in the BioLogic iPhone4 case because it is weatherproof, although my Sirius got wet but never damaged, I think the replacement value for the iPhone opposed to the Sirius is my concern. Losing the phone on a trip would be a big concern. Also I am assuming that it has a handlebar mount. The videos show a positive click to the mount and that is great and it appears that it easily moves on and off when you leave the bike. How will you mount that case? is it adaptable to a RAM mount or do you have other ideas?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 1:25 pm

Quote:
What have you done to mount the iPhone for GPS use.
Ram master cylinder adapter, 3" extension, standard diamond ball mount, and iPhone snap-in cradle. I'm using the iPhone 3 mount with some Dremel mods so it will fit my iPhone 4 in a case.

I also built a control box to give me a huge easy-to-reach button to control all the main functions while riding.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58843

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Nice job, I had not thought about putting it out there as I was looking for the rain protection. How are you getting to the AutoCom? Direct cable or a Bluetooth dongle of some kind.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 8:32 am

The same cable that connects the control switch also carries the microphone and speaker signals. I wanted to hardwire it because the Autocom BT unit--believe it or not--automatically answers every call! No choice, it just answers on the second ring. Stupid but true.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the update. I will be starting to get my LT ready this week and I will be looking at using a waterproof case and Bluetooth to a new helmet. It is time to replace my N102 and I planned to go to a N103 until I saw a C3 so I have to take a test fit. Hopefully I will find a solution that gets me off my AutoCom. I am tired of the bad cables.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 11 Old May 1st, 2011, 11:44 am

The difference between a Nolan and a Schuberth is astounding. Like the difference between the Chinese copies of a Honda motorcycle and the LT. Price difference is huge too, but really worth it. Just look at it as a 3-5 year investment.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #9 of 11 Old May 1st, 2011, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

I hoping that the shape fits my head.. since Nolan people are buying I'm hoping that I'm compatible. I've had N100 then a N100e and finally a N102.

Comfort and fit is first because if it doesn't make it there 'free' is too much. Price is secondary. I tried one of the previous Schubert models and it won't go on my bean...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 11 Old May 1st, 2011, 6:33 pm

Garage

I have mine in the odments box doesnt matter if it rains bluetooth to mt scala
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5274.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	31220  

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
The same cable that connects the control switch also carries the microphone and speaker signals. I wanted to hardwire it because the Autocom BT unit--believe it or not--automatically answers every call! No choice, it just answers on the second ring. Stupid but true.

which gps do u have, u could hardwire the gps if it is a 665, 660, 765t, with a 4066 lead to the autocom, then pair the i phone and the gps which will allow u to answer and make calls from the gps screen...... Kieth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in