post #2 of 33 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Zumo Or Tom Tom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk
Can I get votes?

Garmin for sure.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 7:16 pm

I don't think the Tom Tom is water proof.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 33 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I've been using a Tom Tom Rider 2nd ED for a couple of years. It's now discontinued and their replacement is only available in the UK. The unit is waterproof and it has nice features, but since it's discontinued it won't do you much good. I think the Zumo 665 is overated; just my .02

Alan Hinman
2000 K1200LT
2002 Yamaha Roadstar
IBA # 39558
post #5 of 33 Old Oct 11th, 2010, 10:01 pm

The 665 works great. Mine works like a champ. Blutoothed to Blackberry Storm & JM Headset in helmet. XM and MP3 and Nav is great. And stereo blutooth to boot!

2009 RT

So far I'm tickled Have had it since May

I have XM Weather, Traffic alerts and REDlight camera subscription.

All handy!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #6 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:35 am

My daughter had a TomTom for just over 1 year and it quit, TomTom told her to buy a new one, no repair was available. I will never buy from them again Garmin all the way.

post #7 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:43 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Zumo all the way... and don't look back

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 5:21 am

My Zumo 550 has taken a "licking and kept on ticking." While camping near Damascus, VA, in early June, I loosened the Zumo but did not remove it from its cradle on the bike thinking I would do it later before turning in for the evening. The next morning, I forget all about it and proceeded to leave the campsite. The Zumo fell off and bounced on the pavement for what seemed like an eternity. It had some scratches but worked fine and has not been a problem since. I like the fact that it's waterproof.

Jim

2002 K1200LTC, Titan Silver
2006 R1200GS, Yellow
post #9 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:07 am

Garmin (Zumo) all the way. Have had both, and the TomTom's can be awfully quirky (freeze-ups, etc). I'd never own another TomTom after using Garmin products.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #10 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:22 am

I purchased my Zumo 550 used. On my way to Redmond one of the contact points failed so the unit would not charge. I called Garmin, they shipped a re-built unit to the hotel in Redmond.

On my way home, during my Iron Butt (Rapid City to Indianapolis) one of the male pins on the base failed. This time they shipped a new base to my home in Florida.

Finally, my laptop HD crashed and I lost Map Source, Called Garmin again and they set up a free re-download.

For service, go with Garmin!
post #11 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:35 am

I have both Tom Tom and Garmin products and I think the Garmin products do a much better job with routing. On a short trip either one will work fine but on a long trip the Tom Tom will sometimes give you very bizarre routes. The Tom Tom also does a terrible job estimating your time or arrival compared to the Garmin.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #12 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 9:40 am

Just from the standpoint of intuitive interface alone go Garmin. If you have not had either brand in the past go to your local BestBuy and try to make each one work.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm very happy with my Zumo 550. Waterproof and works great for gloved hands. Bluetooth link is wonderful.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #14 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:47 am

Garmin.........have run both but the Tom-Tom just does not seem to navigate as well.....$00.02.................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #15 of 33 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Zumo 660. I couldn't justify spending another $200 for FM traffic and XM radio. I will testify to its durability. After LAF's accident this summer I went to ship some of his stuff home; this included his Zumo 660. After having his LT flip and get totaled, the Zumo still worked. Out of curiosity, before I boxed his Zumo, I checked his last known position, it was one mile west of Interior, SD which is right where the accident happened. Reminded me of the old Timex commercials.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #16 of 33 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 5:24 pm

I have used both. It may vary from model to model but the Tom-Tom I used was quirky and not friendly as my Zumo. My major complaint was the Tom-Tom did not give as much detail in the verbal directions. Instead of Zumo's clear descriptions such as 'In 500 yards take exit (street name and/or exit number) Tom-Tom simply said to take exit on right with no additional info. That was okay except when there was more than one exit to pick from. Guess wrong and without that nagging 'recalculating' message Garmin is famous for you realize you were just sent through a tour of the boonies when a simple u-turn or new route would have been simpler.
post #17 of 33 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:19 pm

ZSumo 550 for me

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #18 of 33 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:47 pm

If cost is not an object, go with the zumo. I am a "budget" biker, and my family got me a garmin 265wt for less than $150 for my birthday. I mount it right on the stingray with just the suction mount that comes with it, I installed an outlet for it under the seat, and lead the power cord to the unit from there. I have never had it fall off, and if it gets too wet, it only takes a second to snap it off and put it in my pocket. It has bluetooth, and shows up well even in pretty bright sunlight (Washington style bright sunlight) It easily switches to any of our cars, and it can come off and fits in the stringray oddiment box when parked.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #19 of 33 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:34 pm

Garage

I have used a ZUMO 450 for five years through wind, rain and even snow with no issues.

I would not consider anything else.

Good luck.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure - White (Thumper)
SOLD - 2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue (RockeT)
SOLD - 2007 Honda GL1800 ABS/Nav - Platinum (RV)
SOLD - 2014 Yamaha FZ09 - Volunteer Orange (Vol)
SOLD - 2002 K1200LT - Pacific Blue (Slick)
SOLD - 2005 HD Road King Classic - Chopper Blue & Sunglo Blue (Boss)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki Concours - Sonic Blue (Conc)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki ZXR1200R - Team Green (Zip)
post #20 of 33 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 2:11 am

I have used a Tomtom Rider for around three years, can't fault it. I'ts great with bluetooth and mobiles. Recently I was travelling in highway conditions on an overtaking lane at around 140 kph and had the 'rider' dislodge itself from the cradle, out over my left knee and it was gone.. I had to travel another two klm before I was able to turn round and then another six klm before I was able to turn again.. We were thinking this is most likely a waste of time looking for it, but as it turned out we did find the tomtom in the 'fast' lane very well scratched and scarred but still operating.. I think it speaks volumes for the quality of the unit..
post #21 of 33 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:05 am

We have a TomTom for our car that works very well. Garmin 2720 on the bike. Both are very good, but the TomTom shows a little more detail....like miles left on trip.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #22 of 33 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 10:02 am

Garmin. I want the nüvi® 2360LMT Coming out in anouther month or so.

I want to use it for both my car and bike. I like that it has, Hands free calling, Voice commands, and life time maps and traffic. I just gotta out how I'm gonna mount it in place of my BMW factory installed one on my '03.
post #23 of 33 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:30 am

One of the complaints above about the tom-tom was because that is a tom-tom without street name-level nav (in other words, some models will only say "turn right" instead of "turn right on Phillips street").

Have had a Zumo 550, right now have a tom tom 720 that I bought refurbished from tigerdirect.com.

Here's the bottom line for me...

Tom tom 700-series does everything the zumo 665 does except the xm radio. You can get an xm radio receiver for free from XM/Serius if you really want it, or have one installed at a designated dealer for the same price as the GXM external antenna for the Garmin.

Tom tom 700 isn't waterproof, but it's surface water-resistant, if you get caught in a storm, pull over and put a ziplock bag over it.

Tom tom 700 series, refurbished with 1-year warranty--about $120
Zumo 665, best price I've seen-about $900

Map updates?

Tom Tom--1 year updates (4 quarterly updates plus unlimited "user submitted updates"), under $100
Garmin--around $100 per update

Connectivity
Tom Tom--standard mini-USB plug, can use any standard auto power plug, if you lose one or want an extra, replacement costs about $10
Zumo--proprietary with special mount, costs $39.99

I'd LOVE a Zumo 665, but if I were in the market I'd spend the $780 or so difference on tires, a new helmet, etc,

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #24 of 33 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Ok, update to my earlier reply. I've been debating the Nuvi vs. Zumo (both garmin). But after listening to many opinion. I resend my Nuvi vote and now vote Zumo 660 Motorcycle GPS. Mine arrives Tuesday.

The main features that changed my opinions, was the bluetooth compatible with 4 devices, Weatherproofing, Shock resistant and comes with bike mounts
post #25 of 33 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 4:14 pm

I've been seeing the Zumo come out on top for awhile now, besides it being waterproof, what is it about that unit that everyone loves about it?

2005 K1200LT
post #26 of 33 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 6:48 pm

My old Magellan 2200T is waterproof cost about 70 bucks three years ago and always seems to get me there one way or the other.
post #27 of 33 Old Oct 15th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO
I've been seeing the Zumo come out on top for awhile now, besides it being waterproof, what is it about that unit that everyone loves about it?
The Zumo 660 is a relatively easy unit to use. Large touch screen and it responds quickly to touches from gloved finger tips. The screen is well illuminated but it's worth having some sort of shade or visor when sun glare reduces the screen to one big blank. I like the option that lets me choose two small displays to be on the screen from a nice selection of options. I have current speed and elevation showing at the bottom of the screen. The bad news is that the mapsource software is a royal PITA. It's much easier to download routes from mapquest or googlemaps.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #28 of 33 Old Oct 16th, 2010, 7:35 am

If you're not too worried about details.....this one reportedly works quite well!

If you want the absolute basics....well this one tells you the obvious......its just a little tough to mount on the stingray or the shelf!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #29 of 33 Old Oct 19th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Hehehe, Nice ones Blau.

I just got my Zumo 660 today, took me about 3 hours to remove my installed Nav II unit and install the Zumo. 1 hour of it was modifing the Nav II mount to accepct the Zumo mounting bracket. The holes lined up, but were to small. Removing the 'Tupperware' to remove the old wiring, was also needed to run the new wires. The only problem I had, was that the power wires came up about a foot short. But some wire and solder quickly fixed it.

Overall, I am very pleased in my first day of installing and testing.
post #30 of 33 Old Oct 24th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Red face Re: Zumo Or Tom Tom?

I've been using a tom tom now for going on 6 years . It is an early model TomTom 1 not waterproof no turning street names Ect. but for the $80 + dollars it costs I've riddien many times with a ziplock bagg in the rain and it is still going strong. Yes i've noticed all the short comings listed above but for the money I've saved ... more farcles!! As for the bogus directions .. just the adventure we are all seeking .

99 K1200 LTC

00' VT 750 Shadow ACE sold

77' Yam XS750 DCrashed
/
post #31 of 33 Old Oct 26th, 2010, 9:31 am

I have used several different GPS devices. IMHO the clear winner is the Magellan. It has the simplest user interface and the best logic of any GPS device on the market. My LT has the Street Pilot because it came with it. But my Harley and car have the Magellan. The one on the HD is five years old and still works great. Don't count them out before you look at one. Here is a test, go to a store with all of them displayed and just enter your home address without looking at a manual or asking for assistance. Buy the one you think worked best.
post #32 of 33 Old Oct 26th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk
Can I get votes?
Well, others will most likely tell you the same thing but when it comes to motorcycle GPS, Garmin is the only game in town. You could choose from the feature rich Zumo 660-665 series or if you just want basic GPS directions take a look at the Zumo 220. The entire Zumo series is bluetooth capable.
You notice that I haven't mentioned the Zumo 550 but for the price, the 660 is a better buy.

The other Garmin worth mentioning here is the Nuvi 550. It's motorcycle friendly and can be had for about 245.00 (Amazon). It isn't bluetooth capable but other than that, it's exactly like the Zumo 220 for half the price.

Tom Tom had 1 GPS designed for a motorcycle but it has been discontinued.

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
post #33 of 33 Old Nov 11th, 2010, 4:22 pm

I have a Nuvi 255w hardwired in and made my own mount. It works flawlessly and does everything I need. I just don't want to pay the extra $400-$500 for BT, radio, phones, and whatever else that I have no use for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in