Garmin 665 /GXM40 issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 665 /GXM40 issue

Two weeks ago I bought a new Garmin 665 to use on my RT. I hard wired the power to my Centech fuse panel and the Garmin unit always works and charges without issue. The problem that I'm having is with the GXM40 antenna. From the start 25% or so of the time I would get "Check XM Antenna" when I pushed the music button after startup. After fiddling with the connection under the seat most, but not all of the time I could turn the unit off and then back on and I would get XM music and weather alerts as normal. I was trying to figure out what would cause such an intermittent problem?
At first I thought that it could be a power related issue. I tried turning off my auxiliary lights and making sure everything was off when I first started the bike. But I still got the random message "check XM antenna" about the same 25% of the time. Sometimes when riding I could turn off the unit and turn it back on and it would work. Finally on my way home from Colorado yesterday, after using XM for 3-4 hours without issue I stopped for lunch. After that I could not get it to work at all. For 400 miles I tried turning the unit off and on and it would always say "check XM antenna". I finally gave up.
I'm thinking that the GXM 40 antenna must be bad? Or wiring it through the Centech fuse panel is the problem? Any ideas?

Doug

Doug
2012 R1200RT - The Green Machine
2007 R1200RT - Sold - but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Cat Herder

Re: Garmin 665 /GXM40 issue

The 665 has currently a few software bugs.

if it stops receiving XM or if it stop navigating first try the normal reset by holding the power button for more than 8 seconds. It will reset and restart. Sometimes that helps. If that don't help, take the battery out and reset that way.

Oh and one thing Garmin doesn't tell you: If you are connected via Bluetooth to your helmet you have to have the XM antenna AT LEAST 5 inches away from the GPS unit. *I* have the XM antenna on the top of the top case in the rear. Ever since I moved the antenna away there are a lot of problems that have just 'magically' vanished.
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Andy,
No issues with navigation ever. The unit also has the latest Garmin software download. And I have not used Bluetooth with this unit yet. I have reset the machine twice and also removed the battery. The XM antenna is exposed at the rear of the bike so the issue isn't that the antenna is inside the bike somewhere and can't receive a signal.

Doug

Doug

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:42 pm

The first packaging release of the 665 units included a motorcycle cradle that often had issues with power and/or GXM 40 performance. Assuming you've got no kinks or pinches in the cradle cable or GXM 40 cable and you're confident the connection isn't being compromised with moisture or debris I suggest you call Garmin and ask them to replace your cradle.

You'll get better guidance at the Zumo Forms.
post #5 of 15 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Doug,

I also have the 665 and XM40 antenna that I bought a couple of months ago for the RT. Untill recently I just couldn't find a good spot the antenna. Every place I tried putting it, it would show check XM40 antenna or I would lose signal constantly. Even though I thought I was putting in a good spot for reception, I was getting frustrated. I had the 550 with the XM30 and had both right next to each other with no problem. The 665 and XM40 I could not put next to each other without problems. I have the 665 mounted on the BMW mount between the handlebars and the XM40 mounted about the dash on a Wunderlich Integrated Navigator Mount. After I moved the antenna there my problems were gone. I'm not saying where you have your antenna is not a good spot but I have a few questions for you.

First of all were did you mount the 665?

Were exactly did you mount the antenna?

The cable that goes from my 665 barely reached my fuse panel under the RT seat. If you mounted the 665 up over the dash you must have had to add on to the power wires. Also the cable to the XM40 in my opinion should have been longer. I had thought of putting it somewhere on the rear of the bike but the cable wasn't long enough. I also wished that the main cable from the 665 was longer but it is what it is and thats what we have to work with.

Also how did you run the cables? Make sure that any cables you ran are not resting on any part of the engine or there going to melt and cause all kinds of problems.

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #6 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Stephen,
I mounted the 665 unit between the handlebars and hard wired the unit to my Centech fuse box under the passenger seat. I did not need any additional wire to wire the unit. I ran the wire down from the bars and under and around the fuel tank. Everything was zip tied to other wiring so there should not be an issue with heat. The actual unit gets power with no problem so I'm pretty sure that the wiring harness is safe and secure. But I may take off alll of the plastic panels again and check everything.

I then mounted the GXM40 atenna on top of the right saddle bag (outside). It is totally exposed to the sky.

FYI - I called Garmin this morning and they are going to send me a new GXM-40 unit as a swap with the one I have. I guess they have to start somewhere.

Doug

Doug
post #7 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:13 am

Quote:
I then mounted the GXM40 atenna on top of the right saddle bag (outside). It is totally exposed to the sky.
First try moving your current antenna to the top box. While it shouldn't be an issue where it is, the top box may interfere with reception to a large portion of the sky. I have my antenna mounted underneath my front fairing and top bracket of the headlight fixture (CLC) without any adverse reception issues but I've heard of people having reception issues if the antenna isn't unobstructed to all horizons.
post #8 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Doug,

Where on the right side case did you mount it? Was it forward of the handle or toward the rear, by the where the key is. Just a thought but if it's towards the rear and you have a top case I could see were you might not get a good signal some of the time. It would depend on which direction you were driving in relationship to the satellite. As hillcruiser pointed out he mounted his under the fairing, I also tried that. It's looked great because it couldn't be seen but the reception I got was terrible.

You might also check the power/feed to the Centech fuse panel. Check connections at the panel and at the battery. I can't help from telling you to check everything, it's the electrician in me. I've been one for 30 years.

That's great that Garmin sent you a new XM40, hopefully that'll take care of it. I'm lucky cause I only live about 15 minutes from Garmin and a few months back they opened up a service area within the facility where you can take your stuff and have them check it out.

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
post #9 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

I received the new GXM 40 from Garmin yesterday. I also bought a new hard wire kit from Cycle Gadgets just to be safe. I didn't get a chance to delve into the fix yet but at least I have the parts. I'll keep you posted.

Doug

Doug
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
The 665 has currently a few software bugs.

if it stops receiving XM or if it stop navigating first try the normal reset by holding the power button for more than 8 seconds. It will reset and restart. Sometimes that helps. If that don't help, take the battery out and reset that way.

Oh and one thing Garmin doesn't tell you: If you are connected via Bluetooth to your helmet you have to have the XM antenna AT LEAST 5 inches away from the GPS unit. *I* have the XM antenna on the top of the top case in the rear. Ever since I moved the antenna away there are a lot of problems that have just 'magically' vanished.
Actually Garmin does tell you this very clearly in the Owner's manual.

Mine is mounted onthe left hand shelf of a BMR co-pilot with the 665 on a Touratech locking mount and the BMR tilt mount in the center connected blutooth to my J& M Blutooth headset.

It all works handsomely!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

The new GXM 40 antenna seems to be working fine (so far!). So far no need to use the new wiring harness. We'll see how it goes. hopefully the problem is resolved.

Doug

Doug
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:10 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Talking Re: Garmin 665 /GXM40 issue

I have another story for your confusion.

My friend has a '04 RT with the shelf on the front. He had an old Roadie II XM mounted on the shelf and the antenna mounted about 4-5 inches to the left of that.

Mounted the new 665 with XM antenna in the same location... same problem you are having with the crappy reception. after about 2 hours of saying WTF... I moved the antenna about 4-5 inches to the right of the radio and it works perfect.

Believe it or not there was a little dead spot behind the windshield in the old location. As I played with the antenna placement I found a spot about 6 inches in diameter that had a unexplained reception problem.

The old antenna worked fine in that location but not the newer unit.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #13 of 15 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 12:11 am

A little late to the game here, but thought I'd add in my two cents to help anybody else who might be having similiar issues and see if there was a better mounting solution for the antenna.
I have my Zumo mounted on a Wunderlich dash mount using the Touratech locking bracket and hardwired for power using the oval BMW GPS power plug and the GXM40 is velcroed to my top case.
I wanted to be able to move the 665/GXM40 to my car, but didn't want to have to rerun the antenna wire to the front everytime I wanted to make the move. I found a GXM extension cable on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETBXXA, They don't list a length, but it is about 6.5 feet long.
I zip tied the extension cable for a run to the back and plug in under the passenger seat. When I want to remove the antenna, I unplug at the back and leave the extension in place.
Right now I have the antenna velcroed onto the top case. Does anybody have a better suggestion for mounting the antenna that wouldn't be permanent?

Rich White
'10 R1200RT - Thunder Gray Metalic
'83 R65 - Black - Gone but not forgotten
post #14 of 15 Old May 1st, 2011, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWhite
A little late to the game here, but thought I'd add in my two cents to help anybody else who might be having similiar issues and see if there was a better mounting solution for the antenna.
I have my Zumo mounted on a Wunderlich dash mount using the Touratech locking bracket and hardwired for power using the oval BMW GPS power plug and the GXM40 is velcroed to my top case.
I wanted to be able to move the 665/GXM40 to my car, but didn't want to have to rerun the antenna wire to the front everytime I wanted to make the move. I found a GXM extension cable on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETBXXA, They don't list a length, but it is about 6.5 feet long.
I zip tied the extension cable for a run to the back and plug in under the passenger seat. When I want to remove the antenna, I unplug at the back and leave the extension in place.
Right now I have the antenna velcroed onto the top case. Does anybody have a better suggestion for mounting the antenna that wouldn't be permanent?
Since the XM40 base is magnetic you could do what I did and make a base out of plate steel and put a couple of countersunk holes and mount it to the top case. Just be sure and put a little silicone around the holes. I tried velcro and it worked ok till the summer heat got to it and then it was pretty useless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xm40mountingplate.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	31206  

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #15 of 15 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWhite
I'm in the process of installing mine on a Wunderlich mount and thinking of getting the Touratech braket as well.Can you post a pic of your install,

2010 R1200RT
BMW MOA 156712

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in