Zumo 550 vs. 665 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 vs. 665

I currently have a Garmin 2730 but I'm thinking of upgrading. Is it better to buy a new "not refurbished" Zumo 550 for $500 or buy a Zumo 665 for a few hundred more? I already have the GM30 XM puck that I can use with the 550. The 665 comes with it's own XM puck. Will I be sorry if I don't get the latest and greatest?

Doug
2012 R1200RT - The Green Machine
2007 R1200RT - Sold - but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 9:18 am

Garage
Re: Zumo 550 vs. 665

While I do not have the 665, I do have the BMW Navigator IV (BMW branded 660.) My friend has the 550.

The decision which to buy, it all depends! I will list out my thoughts and comments, hopefully it will give you food for thought;
  • The Nav IV (it) has lane assist, a function which I find very useful. This is useful if you are going down main roads and are not sure which exit to take. I live in Belgium, and the motorway junctions are good - if you know where you are going. If you make a mistake it is quite a few miles down the road that you can correct yourself. The junctions split and turn into feeder roads instead of a roundabout as the UK has.
  • The screen is bigger and more detailed.
  • It displays the speed limit, it thinks is right for the main road, however sometimes this is not correct!
  • It has better blue-tooth capabilities - however unless you have a stereo blue-tooth receiver you cannot play MP3 songs!
The main drawback as I perceive them is;
  • To hear the Nav IV with either MP3 or Road directions you have to have a blue-tooth connection. With MP3 it has to be a stereo receiver as well! Please note I am not too sure about the Garmin 660/665!

My friend uses a simple earphone to listen to music as he travels, while I had to have a blue-tooth intercom.

According to Garmin there is not much difference between the 660 and 665. Here is a link which gives the differences between the 550, 660 & 665; 550, 660 & 665 Comparision

I wish you luck in your decision, it will be a difficult one and only you can decide if the 665 is worth it!

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 4th, 2010, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Zumo 665. I just finished hard wiring it to my RT. It's certaily a very nice unit. I'm still messing with it but my initial impressin is quite positive.

Doug

Doug

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2010, 7:50 pm

Red face Re: Zumo 550 vs. 665

Hi Doug,
I am about ready to order an 2011 R12RT and want to upgrade to a 665 from current 2720/Tourtech mount on a K12LT. The dealer is recommending the BMW mount on the dash and using the Garmin mount. I was thinking about the BMR and buying another TourTech mount. How do you have yours mounted? Dash or the handlebars? Thanks in advance...Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaliko
I decided to go with the Zumo 665. I just finished hard wiring it to my RT. It's certaily a very nice unit. I'm still messing with it but my initial impressin is quite positive.

Doug

Bob
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Hi Bob,
I use this mount:
http://gallery.me.com/jkwinchester1#...lack&view=grid

I originally tried a Migsel mount above the dash. While I liked the location a little better, I ended up with a lot of vibration which made looking at the GPS rather difficult. If I wasn't such a chicken about taking the whole dash apart I might have tried one of the other over the dash mounts that require drilling and mounting which would make it a lot more stable than the Migsel. But I went with the Winchester mount on the steering head which I have become accustomed to.

Doug

Doug

Last edited by dbaliko; Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:00 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Hi Doug,
I had thought about the steering head mount, but, thought that looking down a lot was not the safest thing. I have my current 2720 mounted on a BMR shelf on the K1200LT and like it. There is a fair amount of vibration though. I have had RAM mounts in the past and always thought they had a lot of vibration (short arm attached to the handlebar). May be I should rethink. Thanks again...Bob

Quote:
Hi Bob,
I use this mount:
http://gallery.me.com/jkwinchester1#...lack&view=grid

I originally tried a Migsel mount above the dash. While I liked the location a little better, I ended up with a lot of vibration which made looking at the GPS rather difficult. If I wasn't such a chicken about taking the whole dash apart I might have tried one of the other over the dash mounts that require drilling and mounting which would make it a lot more stable than the Migsel. But I went with the Winchester mount on the steering head which I have become accustomed to.

Doug

Bob
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaltic
Hi Doug,
I had thought about the steering head mount, but, thought that looking down a lot was not the safest thing. I have my current 2720 mounted on a BMR shelf on the K1200LT and like it. There is a fair amount of vibration though. I have had RAM mounts in the past and always thought they had a lot of vibration (short arm attached to the handlebar). May be I should rethink. Thanks again...Bob
I have a 665 mounted on a a BMR with their tilt mount and Touratech locking mount on my '09 RT

No vibration. the thing is solid as a rock and the Zumo Stereo Bluetooth with a JM HSBLU277-edr headset, is fantastic! Syncs perfectly with m blackberry and the Headset.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Thanks for the info....Best, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I have a 665 mounted on a a BMR with their tilt mount and Touratech locking mount on my '09 RT

No vibration. the thing is solid as a rock and the Zumo Stereo Bluetooth with a JM HSBLU277-edr headset, is fantastic! Syncs perfectly with m blackberry and the Headset.

Bob
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 16th, 2010, 8:08 am

Wink Re: Zumo 550 vs. 665

Thanks Atomicman,
I've added it to my list......wallet is getting smaller...Best, Bob

Quote:

Bob
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I am enjoying my new Zumo 665. For the riding and commuting I do it really takes it to the next level. I have been riding all along without these features but I am happy to have them now. I used the mount that came with the unit placing it just inboard of the left hand grip assembly. I trimmed the handlebar cover for the mount to fit. The wire harness I routed along with the other wires under the handle bar cover and then back under the stingray to a small hole in the oddment box where the audio and XM antenna lead end. The power leads I routed down just below the tank to the battery. I have it direct wired for now but will probably put a fuse box in at a later time. The XM antenna I velcroed to the top of the stingray over the BMW logo. I think it is a nice clean install. few wires exposed and the unit can easily be switched out to other vehicles easily. I paired the unit to my Iphone and Scala G4. There are a few quirks but I'm still learning it. There is an issue with setting up the XM subscription. You cannot set up the subscription on line and the call center that they give you the number for will have to transfer you to another department to get it set up. Check out zumoforums.com for some good advice.
Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Quote:
I currently have a Garmin 2730 but I'm thinking of upgrading. Is it better to buy a new "not refurbished" Zumo 550 for $500 or buy a Zumo 665 for a few hundred more? I already have the GM30 XM puck that I can use with the 550. The 665 comes with it's own XM puck. Will I be sorry if I don't get the latest and greatest?
I purchase a New Zumo 550 at Beach camera back in Nov.for $578.00 free delivery not refurbished.
Amazon .com

Mitch
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwrench2
I purchase a New Zumo 550 at Beach camera back in Nov.for $578.00 free delivery not refurbished.
Amazon .com

Mitch
As I remeber the 550 does NOT have Stereo Bluetooth. A deal killer for me.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 10:26 am

Quote:
As I remeber the 550 does NOT have Stereo Bluetooth. A deal killer for me.
You are correct. The 550 does not have stereo Bluetooth. The only way to get stereo is hardwire.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in