Zumo 550 on an 05 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jun 21st, 2010, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 on an 05 K1200LT

I am considering buying an 05 K1200LT, and I'm not very familiar with the bike's radio system.

First, I would like to move my Zumo 550 from my RT to the LT. Wiring was easy, because the I bought a plug from BMW, connected it to the Garmin wiring harness, then plugged it into a socket near the steering column of the RT. Will it be "plug and play" on the LT, or do I need to wire it into the batter or somewhere else?

Second, where are you guys placing the unit? I have the Touratech locking assembly for it (good item for security), and it sits on my clutch reservoir cover of my RT. I'm wondering if I can do the same thing on the LT, since I think that the reservoir covers have the same approximate shape.

Third, not knowing much about the LT sound system, is there an AUX in? And is there a line out for a headset? If neither exists, how can I fix that, or is the external sound so good, I don't need a headset? BTW, I will ONLY ride alone (never liked pillion riders, unless a supermodel was to offer), so I'm not concerned about any other kind of communication.

Any help you can give me here will be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the overall cost of conversion from an RT to LT.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Re: Zumo 550 on an 05 K1200LT

In this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52846 I show how I added an AUX input to my 05. My 660 required an audio boost, I'm sure the 550 will as well. As for a headset output, you would need to add that as well. I have a Baehr intercom, there are others, though I know you're not interested in the intercom piece, they still work well to get music and NAV into your helmet.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in