secret to suction cups? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 11:49 am Thread Starter

secret to suction cups?

I was trying to mount my GPS using the suction cup. It works great in my truck and car, but won't stick to anything on my LT. I tried the flat spot ahead of the radio controls on the stingray, but no go. Also tried sticking it to the instrument panel screen, and that works better, but eventually comes off.
Anybody got any tricks? I'm going to try cleaning both surfaces with alcohol to see if that helps, but would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: secret to suction cups?

I would vote for a traditional motorcycle mount than rely on suction cups. One chuckhole will have you grabbing for your GPS hanging on it's connection cord and distract you from the important things like controlling the bike!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 2:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I mount mine on the tape player access cover. It did release once on a bumpy stretch of highway, but it didn't fall. I now moisten the cup and haven't had a problem since. Take your pick, saliva or water.

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 5:30 pm

actually; spray the area with window cleaner, then apply the suction cup.........while it is still wet you can micro adjust to your preference, then wipe the excess away and your set to go..........I use a suction cup mount for an iPaq on the windshield in this manner and have never had a problem with it coming loose. Now that is saying something considering how bad the roads out here in BFE can be...............
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I used both suggestions: cleaner and on the "glove box" lid. Sits just fine. I also mounted a 12V outlet under the seat for it, then zip tied the loose wire into a bundle, then zip tied the feed wire to the hydraulic cylinder under the seat. That way if it does bounce off, it can't go far. I'll probably get something more permanent, but this is my first outing with a GPS, and I want to see if it's worth the trouble.
Thanks again.
Off tomorrow morning for Nv, Ut, NM, Co, Wy, Mt & Id.
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 9:43 pm

You have to moisten the cup with something like super glue.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Thanks guys. I used both suggestions: cleaner and on the "glove box" lid. Sits just fine. I also mounted a 12V outlet under the seat for it, then zip tied the loose wire into a bundle, then zip tied the feed wire to the hydraulic cylinder under the seat. That way if it does bounce off, it can't go far. I'll probably get something more permanent, but this is my first outing with a GPS, and I want to see if it's worth the trouble.
Thanks again.
Off tomorrow morning for Nv, Ut, NM, Co, Wy, Mt & Id.
Ride safe!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 7:31 am Thread Starter

Just a quick follow-up. I used the suggestions here, and rode 3,700+ miles with nary a single problem. I have a NUVI, and it was darned handy. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in