mapsource - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 24th, 2010, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Red face 2010 S & T

Hey All;

Ok I give up how do you do it. I have been using streets and trips for years now. I upgraded to 2010 because you can export to my Zumo 550. I tried and tried and TRIED. I go to the Data and click on export to gpx file, save it THEN what. Nothing happens. I have the unit connected and my computer knows its there, but how in the $%#@ to I get in the Zumo?
I checked all over the internet and was on hold for, yes, 1 hour with Garmin.(no response)
So I came to the best place on earth for the real answer.
PLEASE help. And I thought I was born with patience. Ha.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 24th, 2010, 11:51 pm
Super Moderator

Re: 2010 S & T

I see you have met your match and it appears to be GARMIN. They can be very challenging
at times to understand and as of late Garmin help lines are long and the attitude of some tech
support on occasion sucks!! However I have had many good experiences as well.

So in order for the Garmin Zumo 550 to receive information it can be transferred into the unit in two ways:

1. Via Mapping Software running on your computer
A. Mapsource if you are using Windows
B. RoadTrip if you are using a Macintosh

2. Via the computer operating system
A. Maybe

1. If you use Garmin Mapping System (A or B) you will need to import the S&T file
into the Garmin software first then transfer to the Garmin GPS. Not sure but the only
catch is the file from S&T needs to be in GPX format - a universal file format for
exchanging GPS data. Garmin is not really working to make their unit compatible
with competitive mapping software - go figure!! So check and see if the S&T can save
your weight points, POI's or routes in GPX format.

2. If you do not have the Garmin mapping software you can download GPX files
directly into your Garmin using the operating system of the computer - maybe. The
reason I say “maybe” is that not all Garmin units operate and act the same when
connected to a computer. So lets try this - plug in your Garmin and with Windows
Explorer (not Internet Explorer) see if you can find your Garmin unit in the device
listing and if it appears look for the folder called GPX or some folder that has GPX in
the name. Not all Garmin units have this folder - I know many Nuvi's do and if the
Zumo has one that is great you can continue. Just move or save a copy of the S&T
GPX file in to that folder. Now unplug your Zumo and see if the weighpoints
(favorites), POI's or route shows up on your unit. If there is no folder or you cannot
access your Zumo as a device then you will need to revert to the solution #1.

Recap for Solution #1

1. Save route in S&T to a GPX file somewhere on your computer
2. Run the Garmin Mapping software
3. Import the S&T GPX file into the Garmin mapping software
4. Verify that the file is readable, correct and complete in the mapping software
5. Connect your Zumo to the computer
6. Once the mapping software recognizes your Zumo send the GPX file from the mapping
software to the Zumo - there is a send to GPS file function!!
7. Shut down the Zumo after the file transfer
8. Disconnect the Zumo
9. Restart the Zumo and inspect the presence of the files.

There are methods to file transfer between various mapping software and GPS units
but this would be the one the least amount of steps and work.

Good Luck . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; May 24th, 2010 at 11:53 pm. Reason: grammer
post #3 of 20 Old May 25th, 2010, 6:13 am

Garage

I posted the directions to convert S&T 2008 and 2009 on my blog using a piece of freeware software titled- GPS Babel.

Read about it HERE .

It can be done!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 20 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
I see you have met your match and it appears to be GARMIN. They can be very challenging
at times to understand and as of late Garmin help lines are long and the attitude of some tech
support on occasion sucks!! However I have had many good experiences as well.

So in order for the Garmin Zumo 550 to receive information it can be transferred into the unit in two ways:

1. Via Mapping Software running on your computer
A. Mapsource if you are using Windows
B. RoadTrip if you are using a Macintosh

2. Via the computer operating system
A. Maybe

1. If you use Garmin Mapping System (A or B) you will need to import the S&T file
into the Garmin software first then transfer to the Garmin GPS. Not sure but the only
catch is the file from S&T needs to be in GPX format - a universal file format for
exchanging GPS data. Garmin is not really working to make their unit compatible
with competitive mapping software - go figure!! So check and see if the S&T can save
your weight points, POI's or routes in GPX format.

2. If you do not have the Garmin mapping software you can download GPX files
directly into your Garmin using the operating system of the computer - maybe. The
reason I say “maybe” is that not all Garmin units operate and act the same when
connected to a computer. So lets try this - plug in your Garmin and with Windows
Explorer (not Internet Explorer) see if you can find your Garmin unit in the device
listing and if it appears look for the folder called GPX or some folder that has GPX in
the name. Not all Garmin units have this folder - I know many Nuvi's do and if the
Zumo has one that is great you can continue. Just move or save a copy of the S&T
GPX file in to that folder. Now unplug your Zumo and see if the weighpoints
(favorites), POI's or route shows up on your unit. If there is no folder or you cannot
access your Zumo as a device then you will need to revert to the solution #1.

Recap for Solution #1

1. Save route in S&T to a GPX file somewhere on your computer
2. Run the Garmin Mapping software
3. Import the S&T GPX file into the Garmin mapping software
4. Verify that the file is readable, correct and complete in the mapping software
5. Connect your Zumo to the computer
6. Once the mapping software recognizes your Zumo send the GPX file from the mapping
software to the Zumo - there is a send to GPS file function!!
7. Shut down the Zumo after the file transfer
8. Disconnect the Zumo
9. Restart the Zumo and inspect the presence of the files.

There are methods to file transfer between various mapping software and GPS units
but this would be the one the least amount of steps and work.

Good Luck . . .
Dan;

Yes there is a drop down in S&T 2010 for export to GPX file. But after I save it to a folder as a .gpx format, I heard I have to go find the folder and the paste it to the GPX folder that opens when I plug in my zumo, which in my case is in the F: drive. Sound right to you?

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 20 Old May 25th, 2010, 8:28 pm
Super Moderator

You need to look in the F: drive and if it appears this is where some of the many GPS files reside this is the correct place - drop your GPX file in a folder with the name of GPX in it. Just try one for starters . . .

However I just experimented with a Nuvi I had on hand and even thought I uploaded a route all the the Nuvi caught was the weighpoints / favorites - not the name of the route nor the order of the weighpoints !!! The Nuvi I have has no routing capability (650) so I am not surprised but I did notice the Zumo has quite a large capacity for routes (50) maybe it will have greater capability.

One interesting point during my data transfer:

1. I transfered the new GPX file in the GPX folder
2. Ejected the Nuvi
3. Started up the Nuvi and saw all the new weighpoints / favorites
4. Put the Nuvi back into the computer the file I uploaded in the GPX folder was not there
5. Simple Conclusion: the files loaded into the memory of the unit but the files were not saved in the file folder GPX!!

Hopefully this informatiom will take you down your path to where you will not get lost!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 20 Old May 29th, 2010, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Angry mapsource

Hey all;

Do some of you actually LIKE mapsource? this is the most frustrating mapping program to use. Im trying to find out how to get S & T 2010 into my zumo 550. I posted in GPS but no luck. Anyone can help,please.

Thanks

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 20 Old May 29th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: mapsource

Ya, mapsource is frustrating but that's what I got so I deal with it. Between MS and google maps and street view I've built some nice routes.

I didn't know what you meant by S & T 2010 so I googled it and found your post.

When I download a route to my 550, the find devices box pops up and I choose the SD card instead of the Zumo 550 and load the route to the card. Then I disconnect from the computer, restart the 550 and it asks me to manage new data and I move the file to the Zumo memory from the card. Hope that helps

The only other thing I can recommend is to join Zumo Forums. The folks there answer quick
and there are many posts where you can search and find answers.

Jeff

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #8 of 20 Old May 29th, 2010, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydough
Ya, mapsource is frustrating but that's what I got so I deal with it. Between MS and google maps and street view I've built some nice routes.

I didn't know what you meant by S & T 2010 so I googled it and found your post.

When I download a route to my 550, the find devices box pops up and I choose the SD card instead of the Zumo 550 and load the route to the card. Then I disconnect from the computer, restart the 550 and it asks me to manage new data and I move the file to the Zumo memory from the card. Hope that helps

The only other thing I can recommend is to join Zumo Forums. The folks there answer quick
and there are many posts where you can search and find answers.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

Some of the reason is I have used streets and trips for years, it is so user friendly. The best mapping program out there. it takes me twice as long to do Anything.
I will try that and see what happens. Im on the Zumo forums and will see what they have to say. People say the 2010 S & T is GPX file and should transfer to the 550. But no luck.
Thanks for responding.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #9 of 20 Old May 29th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Do some of you actually LIKE mapsource?
I not only like it, I LOVE it!!! It comes free with a learning curve (all software does), but once you 'get it', it is very functional.
post #10 of 20 Old May 29th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Hey all;

Do some of you actually LIKE mapsource? this is the most frustrating mapping program to use. Im trying to find out how to get S & T 2010 into my zumo 550. I posted in GPS but no luck. Anyone can help,please.
I'm a Mac convert but Garmin's Mac version, Road Trip, is sub par in my opinion, so, I actually don't mind using MapSource. I was frustrated too when I first started using it but kept my nose to the grindstone and now think it is a pretty solid program. I keep a PC around to use it though.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #11 of 20 Old May 30th, 2010, 12:15 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey all;

Thanks
Like any software package it ha a bit of a learning curve, but I've used it for years and love it. I use MS S&T in parallel at times and I find Mapsource to be a better program.

To answer your specific question. You can export files out of S&T in a few formats, and then you can importn on or more of those formats into Mapsource. Once converted and saved as a GDB file (Mapsource file type) you can upload them to the GPS. The downside is that your waypoints are embedded into the route and cannot be changed in Mapsource (shortcoming of the file coming from S&T) so you lose all ability to edit them.

I have explained to a few folks some basics on how to use Mapsource (5-10 minute conversation or a short paragraph or two in email) and each of them were surprised and pleased with how simple it was to do the basics and to achieve what they were want to do. Some to the point that hey move to Mapsource completely once the figured out it is fairly easy to use. If you want, PM me with the problem you're trying to resolve and I'll try to help.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 20 Old May 30th, 2010, 9:28 am

Both Dave and Joe are more on the "expert" level as software users. I get by ok, and can figure most things out. I judge software designed for the general public based on its intuitiveness and ease of use, not so much its status as being considered powerful.

I can use every function built into Mapsource just fine. However, MS streets and trips was much easier to use out of the box, and I feel for me, as a general user, Garmin should do a better job of making their product user friendly for those that just want to jump in and use without having to rely on years of programming and computer use.

So, I agree Mapsource could have been done better -I'm not sure why it isn't, given the target market of the general driving public.

Maybe that answers my own question, the GPS unit itself is very intuitive and Garmin figures if you are going to plan and save routes and tracks you are beyond the standard user already, who knows.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #13 of 20 Old May 30th, 2010, 6:46 pm

The native route file format for the Zumo 550 is GPX. Any mapping program that exports GPX files or that you can convert to GPX format with other utilities can be loaded onto the Zumo. You do not need to use Mapsource unless you like it.

I am in the like it camp but I have a number of different map data products and Garmin Mapsource or Garmin Basecamp are the only programs that accommodate that. At this point I prefer Mapsource but both products are slowly maturing.

To load the GPX format route on the Zumo you just need to copy it to either the internal memory or to the SD memory card. You can copy it to the SD card with the card installed in the Zumo through the USB connection or outside the Zumo using an SD card reader/writer.

Once the GPX file is "in" the Zumo, allow the Zumo to boot up normally. More often then not there will be a prompt that says new user data has been found and it asks if you want to import it or not. Sometimes this does not happen and you will need to manually import the route. Go to Setting(Wrench)-->User Data-->Import Data-->Routes then select the routes you want to import. If you don't do the import you will never see it in on the Routes page.

Of course there is another reason to use a Garmin mapping product over some other. You will be planning your route with the same map/routing data that is running on the GPS. No two routing databases are alike and the route you plan, more often then not, will not be the exact same route on the GPS. A GPX file only contains waypoint information and not the turn by turn routing information. I will put a caveate on this by saying even when using Mapsource to create routes this can happen. That is because the routing preferences that are set in Mapsource can still be different then the routing preferences set on the GPS; Shortest vs Fastest, Avoidances, etc..

I never assume a route I import into my GPS is going to match what I planned on the PC. If all you care about is the waypoint locations then this isn't really a problem. If the the exact routing is important for whatever reason then you should always compare the GPS calculated route with the planned route to make sure it matches.

Happy routing!

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #14 of 20 Old May 31st, 2010, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Like any software package it ha a bit of a learning curve, but I've used it for years and love it. I use MS S&T in parallel at times and I find Mapsource to be a better program.

To answer your specific question. You can export files out of S&T in a few formats, and then you can importn on or more of those formats into Mapsource. Once converted and saved as a GDB file (Mapsource file type) you can upload them to the GPS. The downside is that your waypoints are embedded into the route and cannot be changed in Mapsource (shortcoming of the file coming from S&T) so you lose all ability to edit them.

I have explained to a few folks some basics on how to use Mapsource (5-10 minute conversation or a short paragraph or two in email) and each of them were surprised and pleased with how simple it was to do the basics and to achieve what they were want to do. Some to the point that hey move to Mapsource completely once the figured out it is fairly easy to use. If you want, PM me with the problem you're trying to resolve and I'll try to help.

Here is the map. How do you remove the south section of this route?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mapsource.pdf (212.7 KB, 44 views)

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #15 of 20 Old May 31st, 2010, 5:39 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here is the map. How do you remove the south section of this route?
From Deep Gap out to Antioch, correct? If it's routing over that way there must be a waypoint out there that it's picking up. If this was converted from MS S&T it could be you can't remove the waypoint as it is embedded in the converted route file. Email or post the me the Mapsource file (.gdb extension) you created and I'll take a look at it.

[email protected]

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #16 of 20 Old May 31st, 2010, 7:12 pm

I have to disagree, I've used Streets and Trips, and Delorme and I find Mapsource to be much more intuitive than either of the other two. So I guess it's just in the user.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 20 Old May 31st, 2010, 8:41 pm

Perhaps a Mapsource seminar at CCR? I would look forward to it BIG time!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #18 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:22 am

I like Mapsouce too. Been using it for a while, and have made it through the learning curve.

Although a bit dated, and mostly for the 26xx Streetpilot, I found a few interesting undocumented tidbits in the following pdf file;

http://vidar1.tripod.com/garmin_26xx.pdf

And there are lots and lots of internet forums dedicated to this very subject. Here's one....with lots of link to tutorials and other tips/tricks.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=278

That's one nice thing about Garmin and MApsouce...that there are lots and lots users out there, and as such, lots of energetic folks that discover and document all of this stuff, making the learning curve a bit more palatable for us. If you had to rely solely on the Garmin user manuals, it could prove to be VERY frustrating.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Last edited by Toolman; Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:30 am.
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:22 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Perhaps a Mapsource seminar at CCR? I would look forward to it BIG time!
I've posted this question to the tech session and seminar chair. Let's see what he says.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #20 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 6:10 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: mapsource

Thanks all for your help.
It may not seem like it but all responses helped ALOT.
I think I got it.
The mapsource world runs on "waypoints". Now it is MUCH easier to navigate.
Once I understood that, the rest is easier to work off of.
Thanks again.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in