Nav IV v 665 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old May 17th, 2010, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Nav IV v 665

This is information for those of you that may be considering the BMA Nav IV. I just bought a 2009 K1200LT in December. At the time of purchase I decided to also buy the BMW Nav IV because of the warranty (3 yrs). After I picked up the bike I found that because I did not have a blue tooth helmet I could not play any mp3 music. Although my phone would pair and connect, it would only work if I dialed a number from the phone even though I could read all my contacts on the GPS.

After contacting Garmin, I sent my unit in to them and they sent me out another new unit only to find the same problem. At the same time, a friend had just purchased the new Zumo 665. I put his unit in my 4 button cradle and the 665 worked flawlessly.
I re-contacted Garmin and spoke to an IT guy who confirmed there was a software/firmware problem and that he had known about it for about 6 months and he didn't know when or if Garmin was going to address this. The IT guy was more than understanding and helpful. I told him I was sure that was the reason they came out with the 665 and added the XM as a bonus. He told me to send in my unit and gave me another RMA and that he would ship me a new 665 which arrived the other day.

I have registered it and updated the map to 2011. After putting it into my Nav IV cradle, I found the 4 buttons does not work with the 665. I have also found that when listening to the mp3 music, you cannot receive or transmit on the CB. I am goping to switch out cradles and I think if I run the GPS through my aux. it will fix the CB problem. I also plan on hooking up the XM as I had it on my Goldwing and liked it. Other than that the 665 works like I had anticipated it should.

I would recommend the Zump 665 over the BMW Nav IV if you are not using blue tooth.

I hope this is helpful. Ride safe.

Gary

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"03" GL1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in