Pre-Order zumo 665 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Pre-Order zumo 665

Anybody pre-order a Zumo 665? Where from and how much???

Megagps.com (authorized dealer) is taking preorders due to ship April 30th, no tax, free shipping, for $919.00

Sounds like a deal to me. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 1:21 pm

Re: Pre-Order zumo 665

Just my 2 cents, but paying a premium price for the latest & greatest release is money ill-spent. Of course, if you have the money and just HAVE to have it ... then go ahead. But if you're really looking for a deal, buy the model that this one replaced (the 660, or 550). YOu'll be saving HUNDREDS.

Also, I see this one comes with the XM antenna as part of the package. I have cancelled my XM subscriptions entirely because I now use the Pandora and Slacker radio apps on my smart phone. Just a little more food for thought...
post #3 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Just my 2 cents, but paying a premium price for the latest & greatest release is money ill-spent. Of course, if you have the money and just HAVE to have it ... then go ahead. But if you're really looking for a deal, buy the model that this one replaced (the 660, or 550). YOu'll be saving HUNDREDS.

Also, I see this one comes with the XM antenna as part of the package. I have cancelled my XM subscriptions entirely because I now use the Pandora and Slacker radio apps on my smart phone. Just a little more food for thought...
Hardly! Not saving hundreds. You don't think I've already scoped this out!

Not a fan of Pandora or Slacker. The 665 has Stereo Bluetooth and the XM 40 antenna comes with the unit which is about a $200.00 additional expense on a 550. 660 does not even have XM and it is $650.00

the 550 is about $579.00 but another $200 for the antenna. puts you at best at $779 minimum. Now I am only $140.00 more for the better equipped 665.

Don't you have to have a Cell signal to get Pandora or Slacker? A potential issue where cell service is weak.

Other things besides music on XM(Weather, Traffic, Talk, Sports, News) and I already have it in my car. My subscription will be cheap.

665 also has additional features avaialble and then some I am not even sure of yet.

Your savings of Hundreds seems quite an exaggeration!

Oh yeah! I have the dough!

post #4 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Other things besides music on XM(Weather, Traffic, Talk, Sports, News) and I already have it in my car. My subscription will be cheap.
I just looked into getting another subscription for my wife's new car after the initial 'free' period ended and there is no longer a multi-car discount for Sirius or XM that I can see.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:06 am

Vaporware

They introduced the thing Jan 6th. They've been kicking the shipping date down the road for months.

I'll believe it's a real product when I can have one FedEx'd to my house within 48 hours of my order...
post #6 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Re: Vaporware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semio
They introduced the thing Jan 6th. They've been kicking the shipping date down the road for months.

I'll believe it's a real product when I can have one FedEx'd to my house within 48 hours of my order...
I hear ya!

but I read in acouple of forums that folks have received one just recently directly form Garmin with an AMA 11% discount (I am not a Doc so of no value to me)

But http://www.megagps.com/zumo665.aspx says they will ship ETA 04/30 and they do not charge your card until the unit ships. $919.99 no tax , free shipping!
post #7 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I just looked into getting another subscription for my wife's new car after the initial 'free' period ended and there is no longer a multi-car discount for Sirius or XM that I can see.
http://www.xmradio.com/help/faqs/in-vehicle.xmc

Can I get a discount if I have multiple XM subscriptions?
  • You can get a discount on up to four additional XM Radio subscriptions when you link your new XM radio to your current XM Radio account. Your 2nd through 4th subscriptions would cost only $8.99/month for each additional subscription versus $12.95/month, plus any other fees and taxes, when your new radio is linked to your current account (assumes both are XM Everything package).
From the XM website at the address above today!
post #8 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Hardly! Not saving hundreds. You don't think I've already scoped this out!
After reading your response, I don't think you "scoped it out" at all. I can get a 550 off of eBay for $499! And I bought my 2820's XM antenna for UNDER $100! That is less than $600 ... compared to your $919 pricetag for that unobtainable 665. When I typed "hundreds", I meant just that.

Quote:
Don't you have to have a Cell signal to get Pandora or Slacker? A potential issue where cell service is weak.
Pandora and Slacker require data service, correct. But last week I road over 2K miles from Ohio to the Smokies of North Carolina without one single break in service. Meanwhile, your XM radio would've stopped playing MANY times due to mountains, trees, and tunnels.

Again ... my two cents. And I can afford that.
post #9 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
After reading your response, I don't think you "scoped it out" at all. I can get a 550 off of eBay for $499! And I bought my 2820's XM antenna for UNDER $100! That is less than $600 ... compared to your $919 pricetag for that unobtainable 665. When I typed "hundreds", I meant just that.

Pandora and Slacker require data service, correct. But last week I road over 2K miles from Ohio to the Smokies of North Carolina without one single break in service. Meanwhile, your XM radio would've stopped playing MANY times due to mountains, trees, and tunnels.

Again ... my two cents. And I can afford that.
It is my understanding you need the XM30 for the 550. $200 bucks! so you are actually at $699.00 and no stereo bluetooth, weather maps and other features!

You gotta be shi_ _in' me. that is for a used 550. Hardly a fair comparison to a new 665 in the box with warranty! Nice try! the cheapest Buy it Nw! New IN box is $619.99 + $200 for the antenna is now $819.99. only $100.00 cheaper. No thanks!

Thre rest of the new are auctions and they are already in the $500 range.
post #10 of 28 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 4:22 pm

And...lets not forget the Zumo 550 is listed as 'discontinued' on the Garmin site :-(.

So you would be buying obsolete hardware...if I had one I would be keeping it, but if I was shopping for a GPS, the 665 would definitely be on the short list!

Jim

'05 R1200RT Red
Aluminum GPS mount:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Replacement windshield arms:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 28 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWing18
And...lets not forget the Zumo 550 is listed as 'discontinued' on the Garmin site :-(.

So you would be buying obsolete hardware...if I had one I would be keeping it, but if I was shopping for a GPS, the 665 would definitely be on the short list!

Jim
Thank goodness, some common sense instead of a cheap attack!
post #12 of 28 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Thank goodness, some common sense instead of a cheap attack!
Yea ... sorry. I didn't mean to let facts get in the way.

And calling a 550 "obsolete hardware" is a gross over-statement. As long as one can update the maps, it is NOT obsolete. Period.
post #13 of 28 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Yea ... sorry. I didn't mean to let facts get in the way.

And calling a 550 "obsolete hardware" is a gross over-statement. As long as one can update the maps, it is NOT obsolete. Period.

Thou can lead the brethren to water.......but.......

Glad Your back Joe....it's been really Boring!!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #14 of 28 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Re: Vaporware

Quote:
I hear ya!

but I read in acouple of forums that folks have received one just recently directly form Garmin with an AMA 11% discount (I am not a Doc so of no value to me)

But http://www.megagps.com/zumo665.aspx says they will ship ETA 04/30 and they do not charge your card until the unit ships. $919.99 no tax , free shipping!
sorry for my ignorance but hte AMA is the American Motorcycle Association and apparantly by joining for $39.00 you get an 11% discount on the Zumo 665. A couple of guys on GL1800 Forum received thier units.
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Cat Herder

I have ordered and received my 665 and even though I don't just "have" the dough I also felt that it is better to get recent hardware rather than outdated hardware the moment I order it.

Now as for the price tag difference I ran all kind of different scenarios, but unfortunately none came anywhere close when you take stereo bluetooth into account.

Yes, if you go back to cables, then I agree you can get it cheaper. Not necessarily better, but cheaper. Especially taking into account that the 665 delivers all in one unit instead of having again two units mounted on the handlebar.

Now, that I had the unit on my bike for the last weekend I can already give a few comments on how it is working:

First of all: it is FAST! I guess thats what you get when you buy newer hardware instead of outdated hardware. While someone could (even with some right) argue that one doesn't NEED the speed in a GPS as long as it does it's job. But then who NEEDS a motorcycle? or a GPS alltogether?

Anyways, this thing is fast. Garmin offers a free map upgrade (download) which also gives you the current version of mapsource (no CD/DVD in the box) but that only gives you new maps, and with that statement the negative: Garmin will have to work on the firmware quite a bit. Being on the bleeding edge has its drawbacks also. so far the unit locked up twice on me. Once the screen just went blank and I was by no means able to coax it back on until I took out the battery. Second time it refused to accept new destinations to route me to. It was still showing the map and everything else, but no new destination. Again this was solved in 10 seconds flat by taking the battery out.

And then the bluetooth does not always come on in stereo either. Sometimes it refuses to go into stereo mode which again requires the above procedure. I expect these issues to be fixed soon knowing how GArmin handled these issues in the past with other products which had similar problems the day they were released. Now, if you want to run wired, there is good news: In the box there is a MC specific handlebar holder including a cable which includes 3.5mm headset connector and a 2.5mm mic connector and well as the mini usb connector for the GXM40 antenna.

What I REALLY like is the way it handles traffic and weather alerts. E.g. on our way back from Big Bend on Sunday Karen and I ran into some traffic in the outskirts of Houston and the traffic info alerted me before we hit the really bad spots. Clicking on the traffic icon brought up the information what was going on, where it was (40 miles ahead and traffic already started to slow down) and a question "Avoid the traffic? Route around?" From there we had a leisurely ride through the eastern backyard of Houston instead of sitting on I10 in traffic.

All in all I have to say I'd buy it again, especially after I saw that the weather alert is also better than on previous units, and that the weather maps are real weather maps not the like they were in the 28xx, 27xx series.

Does that help?
post #16 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Thank you Andy...all info is good info, positives as well as negative :-). I am patiently (not) waiting for the mid-May promise of delivery of my 665.

Having sold my 376 ( which replaced my 276 ) I appreciate the weather function feedback. That was something I really appreciated with the marine series, especially after my trip from Dallas to Duluth, right up tornado alley. There were a couple of times when the Nexrad screen showed intense red centres with BLACK dots inside the red, never a good sign. Detouring around the worst areas proved a smart move, 3 twisters were reported on the news in my hotel room in Kansas that evening. Whew!

Ride safe,

Jim

'05 R1200RT Red
Aluminum GPS mount:

post #17 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you Andy...all info is good info, positives as well as negative :-). I am patiently (not) waiting for the mid-May promise of delivery of my 665.

Having sold my 376 ( which replaced my 276 ) I appreciate the weather function feedback. That was something I really appreciated with the marine series, especially after my trip from Dallas to Duluth, right up tornado alley. There were a couple of times when the Nexrad screen showed intense red centres with BLACK dots inside the red, never a good sign. Detouring around the worst areas proved a smart move, 3 twisters were reported on the news in my hotel room in Kansas that evening. Whew!

Ride safe,

Jim
Jim,

Were the 3 twisters in your hotel room caused by you chasing some strange little gal around the room?
post #18 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

By the way a GPS site called www.getfeetwet.com is selling the 665 for $862.00http://www.getfeetwet.com/products/S...-0__38127.aspx

$862.73 plus $12.10 for Ground = $874.10

I have an email out to them determining a delivery date. I'll post when I get a response.

It looks like the AMA discount does not apply to the 665. they show $999.00 for thier program price.
post #19 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Quote:
By the way a GPS site called www.getfeetwet.com is selling the 665 for $862.00.
FWIW, I setup a group buy from getfeetwet.com back in the day (2610's and 276C's) and they gave us an AMAZING deal. Members of this forum bought over 30 units from them. They were great to work with.
post #20 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
FWIW, I setup a group buy from getfeetwet.com back in the day (2610's and 276C's) and they gave us an AMAZING deal. Members of this forum bought over 30 units from them. They were great to work with.
Thank you. Very helpful info. I was a bit nervous, never having heard of this site!
post #21 of 28 Old Apr 27th, 2010, 9:20 pm

This belongs on the humor forum!!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #22 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 6:40 am

Quote:
Jim,

Were the 3 twisters in your hotel room caused by you chasing some strange little gal around the room?
LOL...I wish! Like my wife says, " in your dreams buddy...", ouch!

Jim

'05 R1200RT Red
Aluminum GPS mount:

post #23 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL...I wish! Like my wife says, " in your dreams buddy...", ouch!

Jim
Happy to see you have a good sense of humor and took it as intended. Just trying to entertain!
post #24 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:45 am Thread Starter

OK, got an email from colin at getfeetwet.com

Greetings Cliff:The ship schedule on this to distributors is Sept, 2010. That being said, Garmin has full control on when they ship. They may be shipped sooner or later.

Our FEDEX shipping is about 30% to 40% off the normal FEDEX rate. It should be between $7 to $12.

Colin

then I asked im why so long?

Garmin is shipping these items at this time to brick and mortar stores and they are offering them at the MRP price. At some point, they will ship to distributors which is when the price will be lower than the MRP price.

Colin

I ordered one today from megagps.com for $919.00 suppose to ship 1st week of May.
post #25 of 28 Old May 1st, 2010, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Now there is a $100.00 rebate from Garmin for any unit purchased 05/01 or later.

http://garmin.blogs.com/files/zumo_rebate.pdf

I have not actually paid yet so I assuming I can get the rebate. I ordered it on 04/28/10 but my sale won't go thru until it ships. I will call to make sure M1st thiing Monday morning.

Down to to $819.00

Applies to the Zumo 220,550 660 & 665
http://www.megagps.com/zumo665.aspx
post #26 of 28 Old May 11th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Thumbs up Re: Pre-Order zumo 665

Thanks. Saved me $100.
post #27 of 28 Old May 13th, 2010, 11:23 pm

I purchased the Nav IV when I bought my 09 LT a few months ago. Don't buy the 660 unless you are completely bluetooth as the phone and mp3 will not play through your headset. I have confirmed this with Garmin. However, I have placed a 665 in my Nav IV cradle and everything worked just like I would expect it to. I didn't try the XM but am sure it will work as well if I decide to use it. I am getting a 665 now after sending my 660 back twice to Garmin before finally getting the straight scoop on the 660. Good luck with what ever you decide.

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800
post #28 of 28 Old May 14th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I mounted my Zumo 665 on my above dash BMW mount on my '10 RT. Now I'm trying to figure out where to mount the XM puck. Optimally I would like to have the puck easilly removable so I can put it in my car when desired.

I'm thinking using the magnetic mount would be best but I can't find any spots where this would work. My current thinking is to buy a couple of 1" permanent strong magnets and gluing them underneath the upper left tank plastic and then mounting the xm on top. This seems to be a good idea but apparently magnetic fields can cause problems with electronics and I'm thinking that the bulk of the XM radio is in the puck. Maybe this isn't a good idea.

The magnets in the XM puck aren't strong enough if I simply glued metal washers under that plastic tank cover which got me thinking about the magnet option.

Thoughts? Better ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

2010 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in