Zumo 550 to ComSys =Background Noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 to ComSys =Background Noise

I've got a 2003 K1200LT with the ComSys and a Zumo 550. Here's what I've done so far:

Using a stereo cable I've got the Zumo hooked up to the AUX jack on the ComSys. I can hear all of the audio from the Zumo in our headsets but I also hear some background noise, or hum or whatever you want to call it. I've got the radio on the ComSys to where it shows AUX in the display. I'm not sure what's causing the background noise. I've tried several things but can't get it to go away. I'm not sure if maybe it takes a special cable from the Zumo to the AUX jack or if there's something wrong with the ComSys or I've just got some setting wrong on the ComSys.

Has anybody else had a problem like this?

Thanks

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:54 pm

Re: Zumo 550 to ComSys =Background Noise

If you are powering the Zumo from the bike you might need a ground loop isolator between the Zumo audio output and the Aux input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 1:28 am

Garage

two suggestions. Like JD commented, run the GPS on the internal battery to see if that fixes your issue. The other is a little labor intensive, so I will give you my reasonings first. While hardwiring my 2720, i made the connections and went to test everything prior to buttoning it up. when I did I got audio, but an annoying hum in the back ground. As it turned out I had inadvertently reversed the + & - for the audio. Not sure which is the +/- on the comsystem, but you can call garmin to see what theres is wired like.. Good luck.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 5:54 am Thread Starter

You might be on to something. Unfortunately the 550 won't output any audio without being plugged into 12 volts. I remembered this when I went out to test your theory and unplugged it from the 12 volt supply. The 550 still ran on battery but the audio output was killed. Is the ground look isolator your talking about something like this?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SNI-1-3.5.html

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 9:34 am

That's it. I have one from Radio Shack that I got for about $10.00. Just put it between your GPS output, and your comm. input, and you'll be golden.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 24th, 2010, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Problem Fixed!

I went down to Engle Motors (local BMW dealer) in Kansas City and purchased an Autocom Part #1314, which is a stereo cable with a built-in filter. Just got home and tried it and happy days are here again. Absolutely no noise/hum whatsoever. The cable on both ends were right angled 3.5 mm and all one piece and about 6 foot long. I'll I got to do now is remove some tupperware and run the cable.

Thanks to all.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT

Last edited by sdan451; Mar 24th, 2010 at 1:09 pm. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in