Garmin Motorcycle hard wire install. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Garmin Motorcycle hard wire install.

Found a great deal on a 2720 ($60) ordered the mounting kit ($30) and I am in the process of completing the install. As Info: I have a BC3 with a hardwired audio in located in the handlebar cover. I wanted to tap into that source for power....and audio..Yes its there.

My question: the Harness supplied with the MC kit allows to hard wire the gps. And has a 2.5mm female for the audio. The harness is a 4 wire harness. Red (power) Black (earth) and a white and brown. Using a continuity probe. I can't trace these back to the head or the harness. After 20 min on hold with garmin I gave up. Anyone know what the White and Brown wires are for?

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Garmin Motorcycle hard wire install.

I love the internet....Found the explanation on a GW site....

Quote:
If Garmin is using the same roll of wire for the Quest cables as they are for the 26xx series cables, the white and brown wire do nothing as supplied.

I tested for continuity from each contact on the connector and nothing seemed to be connected to those wires. I then used a knife to remove the molded plastic where the three sections of the cable (GPS, audio plug, power cable) join and found the audio coming from the GPS are on the brown and white wire. What Garmin did is cut those wires and attach the dumb audio plug there. It would have been so much easier if they just left it as a single cord and said here's your audio on the brown and white pair. Or they could have tied the audio jack to the brown and white wires so you would have a choice of where to connect. Since I didn't want to deal with the plug, I cut it off and re-connected the brown and white wires. Then repaired the cable with heat shrink tubing.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Garmin just modified the car power plug, the wires lead to a built in speaker in the power plug.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Found a great deal on a 2720 ($60) ordered the mounting kit ($30)
Brother Hoss.....did you hold 'em at gunpoint somewhere up in the Sierras? Way to go! You got a steal of a deal!

BTW, were you ever able to take the route through the base?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #5 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
BTW, were you ever able to take the route through the base?
The ride is not until May. However, I have sent two emails to the Base PIO and have not received a response. When I get back in planning mode, I'll start calling the MP's (or what ever they are called there).

Funny thing about the Garmin. I ended up chopping the harness. The OEM has a 2.5mm Female that supports the audio. As posted above, instead of carrying the signal all the way down, the butchered the connection. I cut out the 2.5 and spliced the wires, soldered and heat shrinked it back together. Now the fun... The OEM GPS connection on the BC3 is a three wire. + / - / sp+. I have four wires coming from the Garmin. As I did not know which wire (Brown or white) was +, I started with the white. All worked great, audio from the GPS was piped to just the right helmet speaker, but there was a annoying hum. disconnected the white and when I did...POP! GPS fried! $60 down the drain....Now I'm bidding on another for "hopefully" the same price.... Live and learn...

Quote:
Garmin just modified the car power plug, the wires lead to a built in speaker in the power plug.
As referenced, the motorcycle harness has these two wires cut, in order to allow for a 2.5 mm female connection for the audio. For the Car speaker, you are correct. I am thinking I could take it apart in order to confirm + & - for the BC3 connection...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Quote:
The ride is not until May....POP! GPS fried! $60 down the drain....
Let me know if you need some support by fire with the Cdr.

"POP" .....I take it that is a bad sound! Something I don't want to try and do with an expensive Garmin....good luck my brother!

RLTW,
Kenny

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #7 of 13 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

For the general assistance of the collective...The Brown wire is audio (+), white (-). Do not hook the white to the bike or........

The LT harness for the GPS or AAWD as the manual calls it. Orange (+), white (SP+), Blue (-).

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:55 pm

Quote:
For the general assistance of the collective...The Brown wire is audio (+), white (-). Do not hook the white to the bike or........

The LT harness for the GPS or AAWD as the manual calls it. Orange (+), white (SP+), Blue (-).
That solves my problem also, but I am unable to locate the GPS connection on my 06 with V.O.I.C.E II. Only plug I found on the left-side of the Stingray was a 2 pin with Pink & White wires. (Another plug DIN I believe is for CB?)

Anyone know where the GPS connection is on a VOICE II system is?

Thanks

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
That solves my problem also, but I am unable to locate the GPS connection on my 06 with V.O.I.C.E II. Only plug I found on the left-side of the Stingray was a 2 pin with Pink & White wires. (Another plug DIN I believe is for CB?)

Thanks
Can't help with the Voice, perhaps others will chime in. On the BC3 however it was UNDER the stingray. I do have a two wire (not sure on the colors) under the right HB cover, I believe this is for a Radar detector...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper

Thanks
UPDATE: Well after a few days of servicing a friend LT, I got back to my problem. As it turns out the 2 PIN connection I mention above is the correct input. Now hear is the kicker, when I tried using the Pink wire all I got was very soft audio & very poor quality. So think I had nothing to loose, I tried just the White & you guessed it....NO I didn't low the 2610, the audio output is perfect, cuts out music etc to give directions.
What I need to do now is figure out how to input a computer 3.5 stereo output into the mono V.O.I.C.E. II plug I just found so I can have the voice directions from my UMPC?
Any ideas on this subject would be most appreciated....just had a spring snow storm in Edmonton so most probably no riding for a few days.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2006 K1200LT Grey
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 5:08 pm

I found a hard wire connection through MountGuys.com. This link will take you to a complete list of power cables for the various systems on the market. After a quick check, it seems they have hard wire kits for almost every GPS made!

I ordered one for my Garmin Nuvi 370 ($27.35 total) and had it in four days (see picture with cable). It came with a pretty clear diagram (pictured below) to help me through the connection process.

I'm not sure if the diagram helps anyone out, but thought sharing the link to MountGuys was worth adding to this thread for others who may be thinking about doing this farkle add-on.

Ride Safe & BE SEEN!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin Hard Wire for Motorcycle.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	26906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin Hard Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	5598
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	26907  

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Correct me if I am wrong, but the issue Phil is having is piping the voice from the GPS into the comsystem. The 26XX/27XX series GPS had an external speaker. The simple RED/Black on your harness is a 4 wire on these models.
Quote:
What I need to do now is figure out how to input a computer 3.5 stereo output into the mono V.O.I.C.E. II plug I just found so I can have the voice directions from my UMPC?
A computer? 3.5 to the mono voice? Can you post a picture of what you are trying to accomplish. If it’s a simple Stereo to mono, I would think you’d have it buttoned up and happy by now…

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the issue Phil is having is piping the voice from the GPS into the comsystem. The 26XX/27XX series GPS had an external speaker. The simple RED/Black on your harness is a 4 wire on these models.
Got that part working with my 2610, as I said I had to use the White wire only from the garmin harness to the White on the VOICE II harness.

Quote:
A computer? 3.5 to the mono voice? Can you post a picture of what you are trying to accomplish. If it’s a simple Stereo to mono, I would think you’d have it buttoned up and happy by now…
Got it hooked up by using a 90 Degree 2.5 Stereo to 2.5 Mono, from that I used a 2.5 Mono plug & spliced a Black & White cable into the White & Pink of the VOICE II harness. Only trouble is now that I can only have the Garmin 2610 plugged in to hear directions. If the Samsung Q1U UMPC is plugged in I don't get directions from the 2610(If I'm using it in Nav Mode) I unplug the audio from the UMPC & I can hear directions from the 2610! But if I use Streets & Trip on the UMPC & use it in Nav Mode I hear direction from it!

Not a big issue as I wouldn't be using them both anyway, but does anyone have an idea as to what I might have to do ? Resistors?

Will Post Pic's when I have her buttoned up.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2006 K1200LT Grey
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in