Which GPS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Which GPS?

I'm thinking about finally buying a GPS for my bike. I've been doing some research on mostly Garmin products. I see the bike gps's by Garmin are the 550, 220, 660 and now a all bells and whistle 650 that runs close to $1000. I'd like to stay in the $500 range.

I read the 660 is a later model than the 550 but doesn't have the quality build to it and lacks some features of the older 550.

Please any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:54 am

Re: Which GPS?

biggums-

I have struggled with this issue as well. I decided that $1,000 was too much money. FWIW after exhaustively reading this and the Sport Touring forums, I have decided to go with the Zumo 550.

Good luck with your choice.

bruce
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggums
I'm thinking about finally buying a GPS for my bike. I've been doing some research on mostly Garmin products. I see the bike gps's by Garmin are the 550, 220, 660 and now a all bells and whistle 650 that runs close to $1000. I'd like to stay in the $500 range.

I read the 660 is a later model than the 550 but doesn't have the quality build to it and lacks some features of the older 550.

Please any recommendations?
The new Garmin Zumo 665 (I believe this is what you meant , not tha 650) is the ticket. I have seen it for about $910.00 on the web. It comes with the the satelite radio antenna included which is an option that costs a bit over $200 for the Zumo 550. So by the time you spend the $700.00 or more on the 550 + the antenna you can get the new 665 which also has stereo bluetooth. The 660 has no XM at all but does have stereo blutooth.

Also on the 660, I understand either an input or output, can't remember which, is covered up when the unit is put in the cradle on the bike, precluding some functionality.

Last edited by Atomicman; Mar 4th, 2010 at 11:32 am.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:07 am

I've got a 550. Love the satelite radio and ability to load books on tape.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

If you do not want or need all the bells & whistles then a plain GARMIN 2720 will work just fine. I've had mine 2 years and over 50,000 miles with no troubles. I even used it in my work truck for about 8 months.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 2:25 pm

While quite rare now, 2820s are still out there to be found in super secret limited caches for in some cases less than retail (but normally far more than their final closeout prices to which we unfortunately all became accustomed). It's a discontinued model but recently I saw refurbs in the 500USD range and new copies from 700 - 900. If you want it all in one box (incl. XM) a la Zumo 550, it's not a bad option. No internal battery and a little boxier, but, there are great mounts for many BMW road bikes. And, it has bluetooth if that's important to you.
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:16 pm

I have the Nuvi 550 and I like it a lot. The only thing it doesn't do which, I initially thought I wouldn't want anyway, is blue tooth capability. With a set that has blue tooth, you can HEAR your driving, turning instructions through your headset.

I wish I had that now.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have the Zumo 550 and love it. Got a sweet deal online delivered for $625 a little over a year ago. The waterproof, glove friendly design and bluetooth link is perfect for me.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:01 am

I second the 2720! I bought two of them and couldn't be happier. One is a refurb I got for $100!!
Works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
If you do not want or need all the bells & whistles then a plain GARMIN 2720 will work just fine. I've had mine 2 years and over 50,000 miles with no troubles. I even used it in my work truck for about 8 months.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 4:12 pm

I bought a Zumo 550 years ago and love it. Just google the Zumo 550 and found a price for $589. You might want to look if you want a great GPS.

Kevin Lee
[email protected]
06 ST-1300
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 9:32 pm

I picked up the 660 and kind of regret it. if you can find a 550 go for it. the nice thing with the 550 is you can lock it on the bike. but the 660 you need to take off at every stop.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 3:29 pm

If you don't mind doing a little work to make things work or move the the mount off the stingray (which I think is a BAD place to put the GPS), you can always go with one of these from Touratech. And then you can leave any of the Zumo GPS units on the bike when you get off.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP
I second the 2720! I bought two of them and couldn't be happier. One is a refurb I got for $100!!
Works great
I got a refurb (Buy.com) for $110 early last year. Works great, but is hard to read in sunlight. After sitting 3 months in an unheated garage, I noticed yesterday a moisture spot right in the middle of the screen. Rode again today & the spot is getting smaller. I read a while back that you can put it inside for a couple of days, and it will go away. But I think I'm winning on this one now that warmer weather has finally gotten here. Got a couple hundred miles in the last couple of days, after 3 months off. Got my grin back.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Try a Garmin Etrex Vista HTC. Got mine for trips around CO, NM, TX, WY, SD etc. Paid $175 at Walmart and spent an additional $90 for Garmin street maps. Acts just like my Garmin 755 in my car. Its waterproof, by a bike adaptor for $15 and away you go. If you do hiking you can take it off your bike and use it like any other off road GPS. Only problem I had was when I was riding on reservation roads in SD there were no maps. Battery operated but mine last at least 10 hours on two AA batteries.
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 4:51 am

has anyone tried using an I phone with the GPS app?
I have had to send two Garmins back to the factory for problems
and I was thinking that I would kill two birds with one stone
if I could get something like an I Phone or a blackberry to work
as a GPS.

has anyone tried this idea? and how did it work for you?
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:52 am

I'd suggest a BMW Navigator III plus from ebay. Make sure you get the cradle. Old tech but mine works seamlessly with phone and bluetooth headset. I don't know if you can get the very latest maps though and you'd need to check this out if that would be a factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in