Volume output of Zumo 660 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Volume output of Zumo 660

I've read a lot about the low volume output of the 550, but haven't seen a whole lot of comment about the 660's output level. I have a 660 in transit and plan on hooking the audio output to my '05's AUX input (for handlebar volume control) and the mic in/out to my Baehr intercom (for phone use). Don't know if this will work well but I'll soon find out. Anyhow, has the low volume output been addressed by Garmin in the 660? If not, will something like the Aplirider http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html be enough to match the radio/cd volume levels? I'm not worried about plugging in a headset directly.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Re: Volume output of Zumo 660

Well, this project is ongoing, but I thought I'd give an update in the interest of the many others trying to do the same. My initial direction will not work because the Zumo puts both MP3 audio and voice prompts/phone calls only over the audio jack. The mic jack is just that, only mic. So I decided to use my Blackberry for music (via BT to an AUX input on the stereo) in order to use the bike volume controls and the Zumo for navigation and phone connected directly to my Baehr intercom (for audio override).

Between this thread and this thread I was able to get the information needed to add an AUX input to the stereo. One thing I wasn't too excited about was drilling a hole in the weather tight radio compartment to accommodate the jack, so I looked for, and found, a way to put it into the faceplate of the CD player. Opening up the top of the radio reveals a channel in the right side that leads all the way to the faceplate; perfect for routing the cable. Into this input I plan on adding a Bluetooth receiver (not here yet) for playing tunes from my Blackberry. The BT receiver will be powered by the radio with wires I added to the BMW AUX plug using some pins I bought from Radio Shack. I also fabricated a cable to connect the Zumo 660 audio out and mic in to my Baehr intercom.

So far, everything works, but initial testing shows that both audio connections, the AUX input to the stereo and the Zumo output to the intercom, will need "boosting". I'll know more when the BT receiver arrives, but this 12v powered Boosteroo product is my current direction which makes the claim: "To make sure you get the cleanest audio possible, we've also added additional filters to prevent any noise that may generate from your car or motorcycle system". Anyone have any experience with this product?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	26591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008-1.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	26592   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009-1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	26593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013-1.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	26594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014-1.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	26595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015-1.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	26596  

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Thanks for posting! This is the operation I need to do on my '02. I want to add aux in to hook up Ipod.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 10th, 2010, 5:42 pm

I have used the 'BoosterRoo' with an iPod into the AUX & it provided greater volume into the system...& it's cheap.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:39 pm

This is late, and you may already have the volume problem solved, but. . .

Boosteroo works OK but comes with a number of issues, not least of which is that it needs to be modified to power it from the bike. And of course it gives you no control over the gain. The Amplirider solves all of those problems, works great, and is jewel like in its quality.

I have one between the Zumo output and the aux input on my '05. The variable gain allows me to match the Zumo precisely with the on-board radio.cd player so that I don't have to remember to reduce the volume when switching back to the radio. Great product, very well made, and very well supported by the fellow who hand builds them.

BTW, if you want a boosteroo, I'll send you the one I tried for the cost of the postage. Email me.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Amplirider.. on Electric-Avenues.com
http://www.electric-avenues.com/order.html

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:26 am Thread Starter

I seriously considered the Amplirider, but I needed 2 and just couldn't justify the cost. I ended up with a 4-channel amp from Soundgate: VIDAOC1, now discontinued but still available on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SOUND...fAudioQ5fVideo

It works well enough to get the job done, and I was able to mount it directly on top of the radio inside the water-tight compartment. Could use just a touch more gain, but I'm happy with the value.

'15 GTLE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in