Zumo 550 and XM Weather - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 and XM Weather

I am considering getting a new Satellite Radio for the upcoming riding season. I have very old Sirius unit now with a defective button. Since XM and Sirius, for what I listen to, are basically the same I am considering XM. Basically just adding the XM puck to my Zumo 550.

I have XM Weather/Traffic included on a trial subscription on a new vehicle I bought two months ago and I am not too thrilled with the way weather is displayed. Traffic seems reasonable on the display but somewhat slow to respond or unreliable, IMHO. I will not continue the trial subscription but might be interested in reducing the amount of mounted stuff on the LT and using the Zumo for XM also if I am upgrading anyhow. None of the Sirius units seem to have 'motorcycle' friendly mounts.

#1 I am interested in is where the weather map is displayed on the Zumo. Is it on the normal map display or do I have to call a menu up to view a special weather screen? Does any one have a screen shot of a weather map on a 550 or how it is displayed. Basically is the weather map superimposed on the detailed route map.

#2 If you have XM Weather/Traffic has it been worthwhile, semi-worthwhile or have you removed it because it wasn't worth the cost. I use my Zumo year round traveling in my job. In the summer side of the year on the LT and in my pickup in the winter. Downside is I will have to buy two XM pucks.

#3 If you have had both a GPS with XM Satellite radio and a standalone satellite radio what is the quality of the sound out of the audio jacks. In my truck I can send the audio out to my AUX in and my old Sirius really sounds great. It sounds much better than the radio or CD changer. On the LT I get basically crap sound because I do not have AUX input, I use a cassette audio adapter and I wear ear plugs and have an AutoCom... .

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Re: Zumo 550 and XM Weather

I like my trial. I just had one small issue with XM.
fool me once shame on them fool me twice shame on me.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50123

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Re: Zumo 550 and XM Weather

Well, I have had Sirius for about 6 years and have not canceled so I don't know if they will be the same type problems.. It is the same company. Thanks for the heads up.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in