Garmin Quest II - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Quest II

Howdy folks. Has anyone fitted a Garmin Quest II to their K1200LT? I think you can get a power cradle from Garmin, but you need to wire something up to lower the voltage to 5V or thereabouts. I'd probably go for a handlebar mount of some kind. Nothing on the Ram mounts website jumped out at me. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Re: Garmin Quest II

OK, never mind! I found what I was looking for on cycoactive.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 9:21 pm
Sit

Looks like you found your answer, but for my Quest I got the power cradle to power it with. To make it easier to hook up, I got an extension cable from Gerbings and spliced one end onto to the power cable and hooked up the longer part to a fuse panel. This way hooking up the GPS is just like pluggin in a Gerbings jacket, no way to reverse the pos and neg wires. I am just trying to figure out how to mount it on the LT since I dont have a normal handle bar or round bar of any type to put a Ram ball on. I just put a shelf on the Lt so may mess with velcro or a round ball mounted on it.

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, Sit. I have the shelf on my K-LT also. My Garmin came with a flat plastic disk that you can affix the suction cup to, so I put that on the shelf. It actually held up for a week and 3000 miles, but it kind of made me nervous. At various times, the mounting arm would get into a weird oscillation or vibration. Never came off - like I said, it just made me nervous. Other downsides to that game plan include it partially blocking my speedo and being kind of far away. On closer inspection, I saw that the previous owner of my bike did a little Dremel work on the plastic covers over the left side handlebar. Just kind of notched it out maybe 3/8". After seeing the mounts available on Cycoactive, it seems likely that he actually had one mounted in that same place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in