Yet Another Silly GPS Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Yet Another Silly GPS Question

I am sure this question has been addressed before, but I haven't been able to find it.
Has anyone mounted a Garmin Nuvi (like a 255W) or something similar, on their bike in lieu of BMW's factory GPS? My '05 came with the mount and the cables (which I have never uncurled or looked at)....but no factory GPS. Given the fact that for me, GPS is not anywhere close to a constant need, I was wondering about just fabbing up an adapter and mounting my Nuvi in the place the factory unit would go. I don't care about it being waterproof, I can work around that, and I also don't care about it speaking to me through the speakers or headsets that I never use. My only interest is just a visual display that I can access with stopping and digging it out of the trunk. Is there any way to power it through the bike? I have only glanced at the cables on the bike without unwinding them, but I am betting that they aren't a direct match for the power input on the Nuvi. And yes, before anyone asks.....I am a cheapskate and just don't want to fork over for the BMW factory GPS!

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 7:01 am

Re: Yet Another Silly GPS Question

I looked at the bmw garmin unit and found it to be way to expensive I bought the Garmin 550 and mounted it on the bmr shelve, its also tied into the sound system works and great. Any of the GPS units will work the problems are the screens in high sun light conditions and how moisture resistant they are both of which can be show stoppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t61vance
I am sure this question has been addressed before, but I haven't been able to find it.
Has anyone mounted a Garmin Nuvi (like a 255W) or something similar, on their bike in lieu of BMW's factory GPS? My '05 came with the mount and the cables (which I have never uncurled or looked at)....but no factory GPS. Given the fact that for me, GPS is not anywhere close to a constant need, I was wondering about just fabbing up an adapter and mounting my Nuvi in the place the factory unit would go. I don't care about it being waterproof, I can work around that, and I also don't care about it speaking to me through the speakers or headsets that I never use. My only interest is just a visual display that I can access with stopping and digging it out of the trunk. Is there any way to power it through the bike? I have only glanced at the cables on the bike without unwinding them, but I am betting that they aren't a direct match for the power input on the Nuvi. And yes, before anyone asks.....I am a cheapskate and just don't want to fork over for the BMW factory GPS!

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 7:37 am

I put a Nuvi on my bike; like you, I didn't care about waterproof. If there were signs of rain, I just covered it up (large baggie).

Vibration killed it after a few months. Vibration also is NOT covered under the warranty, as the Nuvi (and any other unit not specifically rated for motorcycle) are intended for car use. Using a Nuvi on the bike will void the warranty.

That was just my luck - I know that many here have had good results with the Nuvi. I ended up buying a 2720 (now long gone from the market, but mine still works great), with XM antenna from getfeetwet for just over $200.00 as they were being closed out. Motorcycle rated, and works great on my BMR Shelf.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:06 am

I have used a Magellan Roadmate 2200T which is cheap and waterproof for three years now. The suction mount is permanently attached to the cover for the radio on the tank and visibility is good. On trips, when I use it, it is simply plugged into the front aux outlet.

Simple as it gets, cheap and works as good as anything else.
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 8:34 am

I temporarily mounted a Nuvi360 to my bike (on the OEM mount with small bungies) while I was on a long trip because my 2820 had a problem when I was a long way from home (Idaho). It worked fine as a backup. Since the Nuvi is battery powered, a power connection wasn't an issue for me since I could recharge it when necessary. I can't really comment on long term vibration since I only used it that way for several days but it worked okay for that period.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

I mounted my Garmin Zumo 550 using the 550 cradle mount to the BMW mount on the motorcycle. I powered it by routing the power directly to my battery.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:26 am

Garage

I put a nuvi 760 on a BMR shelf about two years ago and it works great. I tapped into the instrument light and have a 12V cig lighter plug sitting on the shelf for power. I also ran a 3.5mm dual ended stereo plug from the nuvi to the AUX inlet on my VOICE II so I can use the volume control on the handlebar.
I live in SoCal so I NEVER worry about rain, but do carry a zip lock in case I travel to another state.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 1:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I upgraded on 05 to the Garmin 2820 - refurbished with a three year warranty from getfeetwet.com. I think I paid around $300 plus something for the XM antenna. Works great and you can use the existing BMW mount. Easy install. You may even be able to get the 2820 cheaper now is there is a newer similar model.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2010, 3:01 pm

I mounted a Garmin 376c, using the factory power cord that was already in place. It's a marine /land unit, has a decent screen and is waterproof. Had it on a G.W. for several years with no problems.

"What a long strange trip it's been."jg
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 8:38 am

I am using a Tom Tom One mounted on a BMR shelf. I don't go very far very often and only "use" it every now and then. If it's going to rain, I pull out a sandwich baggie and slip it over the unit. I also have the RAM Mounting system and holder mounted to the BMR shelf.
Not being designed for motorcycles, the screen is not the easiest to read in the bright sunlight but it only cost $150.00 or something like that a little over two years ago.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:45 pm

On the GPS units mention above cam you see the screens in the sun? I have been thinking of geting a Garmin GPS Mount Bracktron UFM300BX, it's to help make the gps visable in the sun in a convertible.
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjo
On the GPS units mention above cam you see the screens in the sun? I have been thinking of geting a Garmin GPS Mount Bracktron UFM300BX, it's to help make the gps visable in the sun in a convertible.
I have a Garmin 2720 on my LT. It works great, but direct sunlight is a wash. I've got the shade on mine which helps a lot when sun is at the side. I've often wondered if that little plastic protective overlay that you put over the screen would help any? Don't recall the name...

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in