iPhone for GPS navigation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

iPhone for GPS navigation

Anyone using a new iPhone for GPS navigation? Mounting? Power connection? Preferred Apps? Weather protection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:04 am

Re: iPhone for GPS navigation

I am using one now. It has some problems but is am improvement over my Street Pilot.

Mounting: Cycle Gadgets sells a ram mount for the IPhone. It works well and can be mounted with the ball on either a BMW visor over the instruments or a mount on the brake or clutch reservior.

Wiring: Must be hard wired as the battery won't last long. I have a Contec fuse box but it could be wiring directly to the battery. It could be used as with a the power plug if you get the adopter.

Weatherproof: It isn't and must either be removed in a rain or covered with a plastic bag.

Programs: There are several and I am sure they all work. I use CoPilot North America but others would work as well. I have the IPhone connected to a Jensen Radio and that gives me turn by turn directions. You will have to figure some way to get sound if you want that feature. You should know that you cannot mess with the IPhone with gloves. That makes changing stuff difficult.

Still the thing works and offers tons of destinations without having another farkle to mount. Once you have the sound sorted you will also have access to the Ipod and Internet radio.

Karl
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:09 am

If you have an accessory that you need to make waterproof take a look at a RAM Mounts aquabox.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 1:55 am

Heres another one http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 3:07 pm

If you're talking about the OtterBox 2600, you'll only get sound out of the unit using bluetooth. You cannot hook to power and do not have access to any of the controls around the edge of the unit. While it might be water resistant, the phone will be out of power in a short amount of time with no connection for power. None of the other OtterBox units are water resistant.

While I have an iPhone 3Gs, it isn't even on the list for use on the LT.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:06 am

I think it's a great idea. GPS, laptop, internet radio, ipod, phone, text, ..... what am I leaving out? I was going to drop $1000 on the new Garmin.... Oh yeah weather, traffic......

During my next tear down I'm going to route my Ice up to my shelf and mount mine. I can always throw a zip lock bag around it if need be.

I have an Backgrounder app that lets me run multiple apps at the same time so I suppose that is why it is so appealing....

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #7 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:08 am

Thumbs down Re: iPhone for GPS navigation

I tried using mobile phone navigation once...

iPhone and smartphones of the like use Google Maps - which is network dependent.
I can't recall how many times I looked down at the map only to see a blue dot and no map. Exceed coverage area (which I do all the time) and you get nada.
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfeeney
I tried using mobile phone navigation once...

iPhone and smartphones of the like use Google Maps - which is network dependent.
I can't recall how many times I looked down at the map only to see a blue dot and no map. Exceed coverage area (which I do all the time) and you get nada.
Hi there,

This depends on the app you're using. The cheaper and smaller ones (e.g. Motion-X Drive, Motion-X) use Google Maps. The more expensive and larger ones (e.g. TomTom, Navigon) have the maps built in and only use the GPS chip to find out where you are. The latter ones may use the wireless network to speed up finding your location but will work in areas where you have no network coverage and can still see the sky.

Daniel
post #9 of 17 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 7:06 pm

The Co-Pilot App is not perfect but is for the most part adequate. The iPhone is mounted with a Ram Mount and powered with an iPhone specific Powerlet cord available from www.powerlet.com for $44.95. The touch screen issue can be solved by (1) cutting off the tip of one glove finger or (2) lifting your face shield and licking you finger. The saliva on the tip of the glove activates the touch screen. With a Camos bluetooth receiver on my helmet I now have phone, music and turn by turn GPS from Co-Pilot all from the iPhone.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 11:45 am

I think we missed one important operational consideration, in order to make the iphone work one must touch the screen with a bare hand. The zumos all work with a gloved hand........hmmmmm just a small miscalculation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by granged
Anyone using a new iPhone for GPS navigation? Mounting? Power connection? Preferred Apps? Weather protection?
post #11 of 17 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
I think we missed one important operational consideration, in order to make the iphone work one must touch the screen with a bare hand. The zumos all work with a gloved hand........hmmmmm just a small miscalculation....
No problem. See my earlier post with two solutions, both of which work.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:42 pm

I'm using the TomTom app for the iPhone with my Scala G4 headset and am very happy with it. My unit has a small net battery drain even while plugged in, so I just turn off the display when I'm on long stretches with no turns; that gives me enough power savings to be able to run the app all of the time.

The other app I have found very useful on the road is RadarScope. It shows very accurate and very timely weather radar with your current location shown on the display. Very handy for dodging nasty weather with an alternate route or knowing when to take a break to let a storm pass. You must have cell service to get the updates, of course.

The other trick for iPhone operation with gloves is conductive thread. I haven't tried it yet, but bought some thread and have tested the concept and it seems to work fine. As soon as I can get my wife to sew some into the fingertip of my glove I'm going to try it out. Right now I'm using the hole-in-glove approach.
post #13 of 17 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 12:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage

AccuWeather also has a local radar page, and it's a free app . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 2:07 pm

I'm in for getting the most bang for my buck. Went to www.Newegg.com (or any other electronics store) and found an iphone cradle with radio tuner that clamps the phone in place securely and I use my cigarette adaptor for power. What is great about this product... I only paid $20 for the cradle, $6 for cigarette adaptor extension, and $2 for Velcro strip. I mounted it to the center 'fin' using 12" Velcro strip which I cut tiny holes to fit mounting screws thru and secured in mounting bracket. The unit is always on recharge, can play ipod thru radio, and turn by turn instructions come in over the radio. If not needed or I'm driving my bike around town, I can easily remove.
post #15 of 17 Old May 14th, 2011, 7:56 am

I am interested in using my iPhone for this as well - I have the Scala G4 headset and TomTom app so now all I need is a power source and mount.

Where have people mounted these so far? Anyone with pics?
post #16 of 17 Old May 14th, 2011, 8:21 pm

As far a mounts go I use Ram mounts. The one I use attaches using the screws that hold the cover for the front brake master cylinder. These mounts are very versatile, secure, and easy to install. If you need water proof Ram makes a product called Aqua box.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #17 of 17 Old May 17th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Ram mount pic:

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in