GPS with Bluetooth, MP3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

GPS with Bluetooth, MP3

I have a "friend" who would like to get a GPS for Christmas. My friend would like for it to have a bluetooth interface and an internal MP3 player. I would like to listen to the MP3 and have the GPS interrupt the tunes when something important like a turn is imminent.

Any suggestions?

One last thing. Cheap is important!

Thanks all,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:11 pm

Re: GPS with Bluetooth, MP3

um, this is a K1200LT forum

how bout a cell phone w gps, like the moto droid.

02 LT
post #3 of 17 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I have a "friend" who would like to get a GPS for Christmas. My friend would like for it to have a bluetooth interface and an internal MP3 player. I would like to listen to the MP3 and have the GPS interrupt the tunes when something important like a turn is imminent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Loren
Zumo 660 -- significantly discounted when purchased directly from Garmin if you are an AMA member -- if you are not, the discount is more than enough to make the AMA $35 membership fee worth doing to get the membership number.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:02 pm

Smile Re: GPS with Bluetooth, MP3

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Loren
Garmin 780 will do all of the above, you also have msn for weather, movie times, gas prices, hotels, etc. Only down side is it is not waterproof.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to ask Santa for one this year for my LT and just couldn't believe there wasn't one for less than $600.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #6 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 9:29 am

Another option would be to pick up a 2820 and a Bluetooth adapter. Been working fine for me. Refurb 2820s are pretty cheap.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 17 Old Dec 4th, 2009, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Another option would be to pick up a 2820 and a Bluetooth adapter. Been working fine for me. Refurb 2820s are pretty cheap.
Remanufactured 2820 for $330
http://www.tvnav.com/2820.htm

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #8 of 17 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Sheldan2, does the 780 deliver navigation instructions via the bluetooth interface or is the bluetooth feature for phone use only?

Thanks,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #9 of 17 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:17 am

The 550 has all that and more and works great and is less the 600.00. I have had one on my GSA for the last three years. it is nice having GPS, satelite radio, mp3 and bluetooth all in one unit.
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Remanufactured 2820 for $330
http://www.tvnav.com/2820.htm
But there is no BUY button to push to add it to the cart.
This is unavailable at other sites as well.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #11 of 17 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I noticed that too, then I looked in the cart and there was one in there. Go figure -- you look, you buy seems to be the motto.
post #12 of 17 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 2:55 pm

I'm with those who have suggested getting a Garmin 2820 and adding the necessary bluetooth accessory.

I recently upgraded my 2610 to a pre-owned 2820 - it fitted my existing Touratech bracket and the 2610 power lead, so minimal hassle. I have an Autocom Pro 7 Sport on the bike, and picked up the Autocom Bluetooth dongle (part 1276) cheap on Ebay. Installed it today. Dead simple, just patches into the Autocom's power lead and sits in the CD player compartment. Bluetoothed the GPS to the dongle and my 'phone to the GPS (5 minute job) and it was all complete. There are other configurations to suit, but I was impressed how little this all cost.

The 2820 has MP3 and talking book capability.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitesseLT
I noticed that too, then I looked in the cart and there was one in there. Go figure -- you look, you buy seems to be the motto.
I get
"There are no items in your shopping cart. "

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Garmin 780 will do all of the above, you also have msn for weather, movie times, gas prices, hotels, etc. Only down side is it is not waterproof.
Quote:
Sheldan2, does the 780 deliver navigation instructions via the bluetooth interface or is the bluetooth feature for phone use only?

Thanks,

Loren
Let the buyer beware on a GPS unit that is not waterproof. This also means that they are most likey NOT rated for a motorcycle as far as vibration is concerned. I bought a Garmin Unit that was not waterproof, thinking that I would be able to cover it when starting to rain.

In the fine print, the manual said NOT vibration-rated for motorcycle use (voiding warranty). Even though the LT is fairly vibration free by MC standards, they (GPS) do get rattled quite a bit. It lasted a few months, and then died. I have had a 2720 for over a year now, and very happy (2720 doesn't have Bluetooth, its big brother, the 2820 and beyond do), waterproof, and MC rated.

You can find good waterproof GPS at www.getfeetwet.com (at least that's where many of my friends have gotten theirs).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #15 of 17 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I get
"There are no items in your shopping cart. "
I did too this time - maybe they're all gone; availability on the internet can change in a key stroke. Could try calling them to verify.
2820s are getting rare for sure. Here's one that claims to be in stock at 499USD ... YMMV:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/ad...ty.1=1&add=add
post #16 of 17 Old Dec 14th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Loren
Well I am certainly a fan of the 2820 and 2610.. but if you want to try a non waterproof Garmin 765T.. which has bluetooth, lane assist, traffic, and an audio out jack that makes it easy to connect to most of the bike systems, or a simple earphone to hear the info.. I saw them available at Sam's Club yesterday for $209 ..
I also looked on the web and found a RAM Aquabox waterproof case that fits many things including the Nuvi
One of the reasons I might consider the Nuvi 765T is the screen is very readable and great features for the price.
Now if you want a waterproof unit.. either try ebay for 2820 or 2830.. or I used www.gpscity.com for my last purchase and they are great to deal with.. I really like the 26xx and 28xx series because of the waterproof features and really good reliability history .. I have a bmr shelf with the touratech mount that I have had 3 of the series running on for several years !

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:55 am

If you are connecting to any of the above gps's how to you plan on hooking them up to your helmet fpr audio not to mention microphone.....????? Kieth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in