GPS, mp3, sound - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 7:34 am Thread Starter

GPS, mp3, sound

Good morning all. Interested in buying an '09 R1200RT, and I have a few questions. I'd enjoy music on the bike, coming through speakers. The remaining RT's at the dealer have no speakers. Among the options:

1. Buy aftermarket speakers and amp from Cycle Sounds or another vendor & have BMW dealer install them (about $300 + install), hard wire in a second cradle for my Zumo 550 (presently mounted on my V-Star - I use the mp3 player in the Zumo, move unit between bikes as desired), mission accomlished.

1.a. Buy BMW Speakers (I understand these are around $600 when purchased at dealer for installation), aftermarket amp, do above, mission accomplished. Note - '09 bike with radio prep kit (speakers already in it for around $450) not available in remaining '09 RT's without $400 ASC that I don't really need.

1.b. Does anyone know the size of the speakers normally in a R1200RT fairing?

2. Buy BMW Nav IV, do same as above.

2.a. I'd read elsewhere that the Nav IV mp3 works only through bluetooth headset (and therefore won't play music through external speakers). Accurate? If so, that would prompt me right back to the Zumo 550.

3. I might like to be able to use an AutoCom system to be able to pipe the music into my helmet for longer trips, and also chat with my passenger, in addition to retaining the option to play the music through the bike speakers at other times.

4. I'm new to this stuff, but sure enjoy the music coming through speakers, no wires to hook up to helmet etc., just hop on, Zumo 550 powers up, pick a song, listen through speakers. Great for short hops, errands around town, which is most of my mileage.

I'd be pleased for thoughts about how best to accomplish this.

Thanks so much. Best, John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in